BRP:UGE -- SRD?

g33k

I know that the text of the new edition functions as an SRD for all legal purposes.

But that's not the same as having a usable plaintext standalone SRD.

Any word as to whether Chaosium is producing this (and if so, when?), or if anyone is producing it on their own ... and an ETA?

• Like 1
  • Helpful 2

C'es ne pas un .sig

I believe that's on the "will be released eventually" list, no ETA yet.  I haven't heard anyone producing their own, but there's nothing stopping anyone from doing so if they want to put in the time/effort to do so.

• Helpful 1

I think the guy who's creating the character/campaign website -- bruge.us -- has most/all of the SRD there.

But not as a single standalone .TXT (or RTF, or markdown, or other common/simple e-format) document.

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

https://github.com/raleel/basic-roleplaying-UGE

I've made a github repo with the markdown version of it. I've also included the required art in the directory. I'm open to pull requests. I did not spend oodles of time verifying all the formatting, but it, conveniently, copied off the website in a clean word doc which made the markdown conversion nearly automatic.

• Like 3

If folks are interested in helping, breaking up the .md file into smaller logical files would help. There isn’t even any coding involved, you just have to split it at the logical locations. If I can get that, I can make a website with menus and such. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Saki said:

I'd be willing to help - how split-down are you thinking for each separate file?

Can I just make the edits in Notepad or something?

Notepad would absolutely work, but I’d recommend downloading the free Notepad++ and getting one of the markdown viewer plugins.

i don’t actually know how small. It might be chapters at first, which is just Heading 1 (one # in front) I believe. Essentially, comfortable to read and search. Web pages aren’t supposed to be 500 pages long like it is now. 

if you don’t know how to do GitHub, that’s ok. I can manage that part of I just get files. 

6 minutes ago, Raleel said:

Notepad would absolutely work, but I’d recommend downloading the free Notepad++ and getting one of the markdown viewer plugins.

I used to use Notepad++, that's a good suggestion.  I'll work on this this week and reach out when I get somewhere with it.  Can you PM me your email address here or on Discord? (I'm Saki on the Mythras discord as well)

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/27/2024 at 9:01 PM, Raleel said:

https://github.com/raleel/basic-roleplaying-UGE

I've made a github repo with the markdown version of it. I've also included the required art in the directory. I'm open to pull requests. I did not spend oodles of time verifying all the formatting, but it, conveniently, copied off the website in a clean word doc which made the markdown conversion nearly automatic.

I submitted a PR #2 that divides the document into chapters, but without revising its content and formatting.

38 minutes ago, Saki said:

I wish I knew more on git/markdown text stuff and I'd help more, let me know if there's anything I can help with in limited capacity.

Thanks for putting this together (and the mythras one too!)

DM me an email address and I can put you in as a collaborator on the GitHub repo for the website 

Just as a status report:

• We're just sending the updated files to the printer. We can't predict exactly how long it will take to go through existing stock, or how much existing stock is sitting in stores unsold, so we can't say exactly when the updated edition will be available commercially.
  • We'll be making the revised/corrected .pdf available soon.
  • We're also going to be releasing an errata document in the immediate future as well. (it's prepared, but needs some formatting and cleanup)
  • There are some interesting/exciting announcements to come regarding BRP.
Edited by Jason D
  • Like 5
  • Helpful 2

2 hours ago, Jason D said:

Just as a status report: ...

• We're also going to be releasing an errata document in the immediate future as well. (it's prepared, but needs some formatting and cleanup) ...

Is this document specifically the first-printing vs. second-printing changes?
Or are other changes in the document, that did not make it into the updated printer files?

In particular:

2 hours ago, Jason D said:

• We'll be making the revised/corrected .pdf available soon ...

The term "revised" sounds as though the scope of change may be greater that the "typos & similar minor corrections" sorts of things, that Chaosium has often produced after a "Tribal Edit" round ... ?

C'es ne pas un .sig

3 hours ago, g33k said:

Is this document specifically the first-printing vs. second-printing changes?
Or are other changes in the document, that did not make it into the updated printer files?

In particular:

The term "revised" sounds as though the scope of change may be greater that the "typos & similar minor corrections" sorts of things, that Chaosium has often produced after a "Tribal Edit" round ... ?

Based on the below quote, it is a bit more than typos clean-up (emphasis mine) but not that much more. Is it more changes than previous tribal edits? I don't know. To be honest, I would not read too much in the term "revised". It can mean a lot of things.

On 1/23/2024 at 11:11 PM, Jason D said:

I'm currently making the edits to the file. The tables use a clearer and slightly larger font. We could not go with a much larger font, but it is noticeably more readable. 

I'm simultaneously creating an errata document for all changes that affect game mechanics. (I am not including things like typos or slight cleanup of language.)