*How* do Rune levels teach spirit magic?

Shiningbrow

13 minutes ago, French Desperate WindChild said:

because the last not known spells are "forbidden" for this character: For example a weirdos Orlanth adventurer who suffers acrophobia or swore to never fly years ago, will not learn how to fly, that doesn't mean he is not devotee to his god

Ducks

13 minutes ago, French Desperate WindChild said:

2) to learn a special rune spell you must sacrifice 1 POW to your deity - even if the spell is 2RP 3RP: learning = 1RP)

This makes sense.. because if you already have an adequate Rune pool, why would you need to sac 3 points for that spell, when all you're getting is the knowledge of casting the spell. (and learning a 2+ point spell on your first RP is just silly....)

On 2/10/2024 at 6:51 AM, French Desperate WindChild said:

2) to learn a special rune spell you must sacrifice 1 POW to your deity - even if the spell is 2RP 3RP: learning = 1RP)

P.275 which I and others have quoted above contradicts this. You can learn a spell without expending POW.

38 minutes ago, PhilHibbs said:

P.275 which I and others have quoted above contradicts this. You can learn a spell without expending POW.

not for me

the main rule I follow is p314

For each point of POW sacrificed, the adventurer acquires the right to cast an additional cult special Rune magic spell. As the magical link between the cultist and the
deity deepens, the adventurer also gains a broader use of the deity’s power.

That doesn't mean p275 contradicts anything : I consider that p275 explains when you are allowed to learn magic.

P275 is, for me, the background perspective (aka explanation for the GM to say when a priest will use the temple's resources to teach a spell, that's not just "hey I'm initiate, I want to learn a spell right now !") 

when p314 define the design perspective (POW sacrifice = a better magical link between cultist and deity)

On 2/11/2024 at 12:34 PM, French Desperate WindChild said:

not for me

the main rule I follow is p314

That doesn't mean p275 contradicts anything : I consider that p275 explains when you are allowed to learn magic.

P275 is, for me, the background perspective (aka explanation for the GM to say when a priest will use the temple's resources to teach a spell, that's not just "hey I'm initiate, I want to learn a spell right now !") 

when p314 define the design perspective (POW sacrifice = a better magical link between cultist and deity)

Yeah, you butter up the head priest, and you  are *allowed* to learn spells. You don't *actually* learn them until you sacrifice the POW.

• Like 1