Some confusion about MOV score.

psyekl

Hi folks! This is my first post and I'd like to say a cheerful "hello" to all of you out there. I'm new to BRP, though not to role-playing (20+ years in gaming). After reading through the BRP book I've decided to leave my old system behind and move on to the BRP rules.

While I find most of the rules easily understandable, the MOV score has left me a bit confused. In the CoC rule book human MOV is 8, in the BRP rule book it's 10, in the "Basic Creatures" monograph it's 3. So which is it? How are the "Basic Creatures" MOV skill translated?

Hi folks! This is my first post and I'd like to say a cheerful "hello" to all of you out there. I'm new to BRP, though not to role-playing (20+ years in gaming). After reading through the BRP book I've decided to leave my old system behind and move on to the BRP rules.

While I find most of the rules easily understandable, the MOV score has left me a bit confused. In the CoC rule book human MOV is 8, in the BRP rule book it's 10, in the "Basic Creatures" monograph it's 3. So which is it? How are the "Basic Creatures" MOV skill translated?

In BRP its 10, in CoC its 8, and in Basic Creatures its 3! ;)

Both BRP and CoC can be considered "correct". Basic Creatures can be considered correct if you are using the BRP core rules with the Strike Ranks option. This is a left-over from RQ3; Basic Creatures is simply a reprint of the creatures book that came with the Deluxe version of that game.

SDLeary

• 2 weeks later...

That's fine as far as humans are concerned. And to be fair, the Big Gold Book does offer current stats for many of the same critters as Basic Creatures. But what about beings that move faster or slower than humans that haven't been adopted for a particular iteration of BRP? I'm the type of GM who'd throw Deep Ones at RuneQuest warriors, ducks at Call of Cthulhu investigators, and if the PCs are traveling to the far reaches of Future World or Superworld, all bets are off.

Basic Creatures says ducks move 2, Mongoose RuneQuest 1 says they move 3 meters, and Big Gold Book doesn't mention them at all (although it does list broo; racial discrimination!). So, how fast is a duck in BRP ... before the superpowers kick in, that is? ;D

In RQIII, Halflings, Dwarves, and Ducks all move at 2, so I would make them equal... but ballistae are more fun! ;D

SDLeary

But in RQIII actual MOV was affected by DEX SR. So a faster being would move a little further.

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.