No HQ/QW at Chaosium Con 2024

Color me disappointed. I mean, not just that the game didn't happen (and I wish I'd had time to sub in, since it was near the top of my list for games at the con), but that it looks like QW isn't getting any Gloranthan support. "QW Core + genre pack" was on my own shortlist of ways to run Glorantha in the future, as I'm most comfortable with narrative systems and I like QW's refinements to the base HQ system. Lacking a genre pack will make the barrier to entry for both myself and prospective players that much higher.

This wouldn't sting as much if the official Gloranthan narrativist system wasn't already a year out of print when I started getting into this gorgeous setting. Sure, I've got a decent collection accumulating, but it's expensive and often a literal gamble. (I massively lucked out on getting Kingdom of Heroes, for example, and that was still over $150- and my owning it means that there's now one less copy circulating for someone else starting their journey.)

• Like 2

On 4/25/2024 at 1:37 AM, Nick Brooke said:

FYI @mfbrandi, the QW SRD was "pulled as a JC target" because bad actors coached people in ways they could abuse the clear intent of the Jonstown Compendium's rules by creating retroclones of unsupported games. ("You can publish material for Hero Wars and 1e HeroQuest on the JC, even though Chaosium told you not to do that, if you reimplement those rulesets using the QW SRD" -- bad idea.)

That is a far more nefarious characterization of that thread than I consider fair. 

Here are the posts in question  Others may judge for themselves.

Me: https://basicroleplaying.org/topic/15587-pavis-big-rubble-companion-the-directors-cut-relaunch/?do=findComment&comment=248709

Nick: https://basicroleplaying.org/topic/15587-pavis-big-rubble-companion-the-directors-cut-relaunch/?do=findComment&comment=248715

Rick: https://basicroleplaying.org/topic/15587-pavis-big-rubble-companion-the-directors-cut-relaunch/?do=findComment&comment=248762

Me: https://basicroleplaying.org/topic/15587-pavis-big-rubble-companion-the-directors-cut-relaunch/?do=findComment&comment=250369

FWIW, I had considered this particular matter clearly settled after that discussion, and had been hoping that other license-related acrimony was behind us now that Chaosium has embraced the Open RPG Creative License framework.

I would still like that to be so.

• Thanks 1

Sorry, @JonL, I didn’t mean to re-open old wounds, and I had somehow previously entirely missed the comments you link above. It just seemed a bit mad to me that people could JC using an OOP version of the rules but not the “new, improved, shinier” version (which is freely available). Ho hum — onwards and upwards!

NOTORIOUS VØID CULTIST

In case anyone is confused, the QW SRD was not “pulled as a target” in 2024 solely because of those old posts by @JonL in 2022. And there is no “license-based acrimony,” we just want our customers to know what they’re getting if they buy community content for our published Gloranthan “QuestWorlds” game.

To be clear, if you can publish something using the QW SRD that works perfectly for players and narrators who have the HeroQuest Glorantha rulebook, I’m sure everyone will be delighted.

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

I am not sure I understand what is going on. The QW SRD already included the ORC license. So there shouldn't be any licensing issues. And QW has never been linked to Glorantha or any other setting. So there shouldn't be any Glorantha related issues. So what is the delay? Or has the project been cancelled?

On 6/4/2024 at 2:00 PM, Robin "RoM" Mitra said:

I am not sure I understand what is going on. The QW SRD already included the ORC license. So there shouldn't be any licensing issues. And QW has never been linked to Glorantha or any other setting. So there shouldn't be any Glorantha related issues. So what is the delay? Or has the project been cancelled?

It's probably just a matter of time and resources available versus all the projects Chasoium has going on, and where QW sits in the pecking order. WoTC shooting themselves if the foot and opening up the RPG field lead to the BRP BGB getting revived and pushed up front when it had been a low priority, and RQ, CoC and Pendragon are all a higher priority.

There are a couple of Pendragon supplements (a magician book and a book on castles) that were supposedly written years ago, but have been stuck in Limbo for a few years, probably due to the decision to do a 6th edition. I think the SRD for BRP UGE is still a fan made unofficial one.  So it isn't just QW that go through this. So many project, so little time.

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.