Enlightened Magic

Chaosium have annouced that they are publishing Enlightened Magic, a Western Tradition Sorcery & Alchemy Sourcebook for Basic Roleplaying. Enlightened Magic combined with the newest, long awaited, edition Cthulhu by Gaslight looks like it would make for a great Victorian occult game. I get tired of the Cthulhu mythos being the only "occult" background for BRP and would like to see more. Nephilim didn't work for me as there wasn't an option to play the nephilim as the bad guys. Maybe Enlightened Magic will kickstart a small diversion from the path of the Cthulhu mythos?

Jewelled, the multiverse spread around him, awash with life, rich with pulsating energy...

Chaosium have annouced that they are publishing Enlightened Magic, a Western Tradition Sorcery & Alchemy Sourcebook for Basic Roleplaying. Enlightened Magic combined with the newest, long awaited, edition Cthulhu by Gaslight looks like it would make for a great Victorian occult game. I get tired of the Cthulhu mythos being the only "occult" background for BRP and would like to see more. Nephilim didn't work for me as there wasn't an option to play the nephilim as the bad guys. Maybe Enlightened Magic will kickstart a small diversion from the path of the Cthulhu mythos?

You never know... :D

Please don't contact me with Chaosium questions. I'm no longer associated with the company, and have no idea what the new management is doing.

Interestingly, John "Mr Magick Man" Snead wrote the unpublished supplement for CoC, Unhallowed Wizardry - CthulhuWiki, along with a whole chunk of White Wolf supplements (John Snead's Resum) and Liber Ka for Nephilim. So magick rules seems to be his forte. I was wondering if Enlightened Magic was a republishing of Nephilim or Unhallowed Wizardry rules, like the latest Magic World is for SB5e? Does anyone know?

Edited by Conrad
http://www.basicrps.com/core/BRP_quick_start.pdf A sense of humour and an imagination go a long way in roleplaying. ;)

Interestingly, John "Mr Magick Man" Snead wrote the unpublished supplement for CoC, Unhallowed Wizardry - CthulhuWiki, along with a whole chunk of White Wolf supplements (John Snead's Resum) and Liber Ka for Nephilim. So magick rules seems to be his forte. I was wondering if Enlightened Magic was a republishing of Nephilim or Unhallowed Wizardry rules, like the latest Magic World is for SB5e? Does anyone know?

It's based on Liber Ka, the Nephilim supplement which actually rewrote the magic rules from ground up. Snead is a very good rpg writer for this sort of thing - he also did the computational sorcery for The Laundry.

• 1 year later...

When I hear complaints about the length of time taken to publish things I have to wonder if the people asking don't realise how small Chaosium actually is. Most jobs are subcontracted out - proofing, editing, layout, writing etc. and the few people actually full time have to deal with all the admin plus the website (although the design and coding is contracted out). For a long time cash flow was, AFAIK, primarily used to pay off huge debts still around from the days of the CCG fiasco leaving little to go towards buying art and paying writers and printers. Now that they have used kickstarter to get themselves a cushion of cash from Horror and 7e they can produce good material and return to putting out more frequent product. They just hired someone to partly replace the late Lynn Willis as Cthulhu product Line Manager but he's AFAIK only part time rather than full-time and in the UK rather then California making for less than easy co-ordination.

This is a lot of mostly speculation but based on what I see mentioned in a bunch of places so take it with a hefty pinch of salt but it does explain why product is slow to market for Chaosium.

Nigel

• 2 weeks later...

It should be soonish. I'm actually heading down to Chaosium tomorrow to pick up printouts of Enlightened Magic, Advanced Sorcery and (another book I'm not sure has been announced...) to give them a last look. All three are essentially done with layout, barring any changes based on error-trapping.

Please don't contact me with Chaosium questions. I'm no longer associated with the company, and have no idea what the new management is doing.

• 7 months later...