Argan Argar and Argarath?

RHW

Is there a connection between the two? And if so, is it just linguistic? Or something more?

I could see where Argan Argar might mean something like "Shadow Unchained" or " Free Darkness" and Argarath literally means "Liberator" but since Arkat turned to darkness in the end, is it possible that Argarath is fated to do the same? Because it does seem like if there's any antidote to the Moon's illumination, it's some sort of Darkness magic. I know the idea that Argarath is some kind of Draconic utuma is popular, but maybe he's also another agent of Uz revenge, just like Arkat was the ultimate instrument of vengeance for the Trollkin Curse. 

But if Arkat was an expression of Zorak Zoran, maybe Argar/ath is a bit less about death and a bit more about communication and transmutation?

Dwarves are always credited with long term mad plans to fix/change the world. And the Aldryami have their Reforestation plot. But why should Uz be incapable of grand magical scheming on a Glorantha changing level?

Though... maybe this should all be part of the Your Dumbest Theory thread.

Edited by RHW

In a way, Argan Argar's actions in the Greater Darkness and the Grey Age were those of a liberator, He went around the lands (Halikiv, Peloria) and aided survivors against Chaos. But at the same time, he was the patron for the "benevolent slavery" many survival sites in southern Peloria experienced in the Grey Age with trolls protecting subservient human communities.

Telling how it is excessive verbis

Not mythical but may tie into myths--

When the Argan Argar Chain comes through Dragon Pass in 1624ish, Argrath is sure to interact with them, somehow. That might mayyyyybe relate to his draconic interests, via the Black Dragon + Cragspider, perhaps with Argan Argar intermediaries.

If Argrath is an Arkat and then presumably a Destroyer aspect (I think that is what you mean above?), that would mean something to Uz and thus to Argan Argar. Ditto to Black Arkati.

The Kitori and their strong Argan Argar ties would care a lot about what happens in Esrolia/nearby and thus about Arkat. I know they get mentioned in King of Sartar but just a little.

Not really. Greg always like the "Ar" sound - and we get it a lot. Argrath. Argat. Arkat. Argan Argar (which nicely doubles with Zorak Zoran, which at some point I used to wonder if it had a tie in to Duran Duran! Just kidding!). It might derive from his fondness for the sound of Arthur as a name. Although honestly, I don"t know off hand whether Argat showed up before Greg's deep interest in Arthur - that being said Argat is definitely post his first efforts to work out an Arthurian "monomyth" (really more of a master genealogy) back in college.

In fact, ever notice that among the main troll gods we have:
Kyger Litor
Argan Argar
Xiola Umbar
Zorak Zoran 

A nice cluster of paired two-ish syllable words. 

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Jeff said:

Not really. Greg always like the "Ar" sound - and we get it a lot. Argrath. Argat. Arkat. Argan Argar (which nicely doubles with Zorak Zoran, which at some point I used to wonder if it had a tie in to Duran Duran! Just kidding!). It might derive from his fondness for the sound of Arthur as a name. Although honestly, I don"t know off hand whether Argat showed up before Greg's deep interest in Arthur - that being said Argat is definitely post his first efforts to work out an Arthurian "monomyth" (really more of a master genealogy) back in college.

In fact, ever notice that among the main troll gods we have:
Kyger Litor
Argan Argar
Xiola Umbar
Zorak Zoran 

A nice cluster of paired two-ish syllable words. 

Nope.  Free argan oil.  Humans love it for conditioning their hair.  Give that trash away free and get more customers.  Just don't tell them that a trollkin gut can't digest the stuff, and that's where we get it from. (winky troll face emoji)