Initiate of Lhankor Mhy _and_ Irrippi Ontor? How problematic?

ROOTless

I'm making a few characters to explore the system before I play/run it. I came upon the idea of a sorcerer who'd initated with first LM and later IO. But...

How much of a problem would that actually be? IO is mentioned as having been an 'outlawed priest of LM (as Busarian)' as a mortal. Outlawed according to whom? Temporal authorities? The LM cult? In the later case, I'd expect some conflicts between the 2 cults, though in the former case, not so much.

The two cults apparently can share a temple, can they share initiates?

• Helpful 1

I don’t see why not. IO adherents may consider LhM/Buserian rather quaint, but nevertheless they can see the virtues of traditional educational approaches, even if they would tend to take a more radical view themselves. And LhM knows that IO is right. (They are both Truth Rune cults, after all.)

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, ROOTless said:

I'm making a few characters to explore the system before I play/run it. I came upon the idea of a sorcerer who'd initated with first LM and later IO. But...

This is certainly within the realm of playing a RQ adventurer.

How much of a problem would that actually be?

AS much as it is a roleplaying opportunity in the game.

IO is mentioned as having been an 'outlawed priest of LM (as Busarian)' as a mortal. Outlawed according to whom? Temporal authorities? The LM cult?

That's likely up for debate or is even a covering myth (that is obscuring the actual origin)

In the later case, I'd expect some conflicts between the 2 cults, though in the former case, not so much.

Again that's for roleplaying.

The two cults apparently can share a temple, can they share initiates?

sure, have fun.

• Like 2

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

6 hours ago, Nick Brooke said:

I don’t see why not. IO adherents may consider LhM/Buserian rather quaint, but nevertheless they can see the virtues of traditional educational approaches, even if they would tend to take a more radical view themselves. And LhM knows that IO is right. (They are both Truth Rune cults, after all.)

Wouldn’t being part of a pantheon which includes friendly chaos gods, and being a god which encourages illumination and has no qualms about using chaotic magic, wouldn’t that be an issue for lightbringer LM?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, EricW said:

Wouldn’t being part of a pantheon which includes friendly chaos gods, and being a god which encourages illumination and has no qualms about using chaotic magic, wouldn’t that be an issue for lightbringer LM?

As I said, “quaint.” Irrippi Ontor has explained in great detail why these fears are misguided, but it seems some Oldthinkers don’t want to get the message.

• Like 1

I'm currently playing a Tarshite Lhankor Mhy Sage residing in Mirin's Cross. Political pressure from the local authorities made the PCs strengthen ties with Lunar cults; my character joined Irrippi Ontor as a Lay Member (he'd love to get access to their library, and perhaps peek in a grimoire or two), while our Trickster embraced the love of the Seven Mothers by becoming an Initiate. Will be interesting to see how they develop as unexpected knowledge has appeared on their sheets (illumination).