Comparative Systemology

soltakss

...that it also has something to do with forum experience, how much a body posts, where one happens to be emotionally at the moment and what our expectations are in coming here.

I know in my case, I'm used to posting and lurking on Bob Dunsire's Bagpipe Web forums with 11,453 registered members and 1000s of posts each week. Those boards are seriously organized and controlled. There are a couple of dozen "rooms" catering to various Great Highland bagpipe subjects. Each room has one or more very “present” moderators. Posters getting off-topic, which happens, are quickly and decisively returned to the subject at hand and encouraged to start a new thread in an appropriate room. Those who want to talk about subjects other than bagpipe-focused, there's a room called "The Beer Tent" where the fur, and occasionally an empty bottle of Scotch, flies. Personal attacks, political diatribes, racial slurs, gender bias and religious intolerance are dealt with swiftly and decisively with a ban. Some people bristle when they hear about this kind of forum, feeling that their right to express themselves will be curtailed unjustly or that it must be impossible to argue or debate. Nothing could be further from the truth. For those who don't know, pipers are some of the most opinionated and stubborn folk that planet Earth has ever known. Sure, you have to think about what you're gonna say and how to say it, but with all parties acknowledging and agreeing to operate under the clearly established parameters, the discussions are passionate and articulate, the subjects wide ranging and interesting. The up shot of such behavior is a lot of constructive criticism is given as well as insightful advice, alternate views acknowledged and new perspectives uncovered.

Now before you write my example off as inconsequential, (auk, we're no silly pipers, laddie, we're Rrrrrpgerrz!), I don't bring this place up as a suggestion, though I think when it comes to posting off-topic (something I'm guilty of), there's something useful here. I'm only using it as an example of how our collective forum experience is as vastly different as is our reaction to it.

The noise level can be intimidating too and a reason, I have to admit--much to my shame--;-(, I post so seldom:). I feel like the chances of saying something "wrong" is very high and that such gaffs won't be treated with tolerance or good grace, rather with, at best light condescension, at the worst flat out derision. I know, I know, I know, that wouldn’t be the case here...er...right? :oh well: but I mean, wow, the level of detail argued on some of these threads is amazing and intimidating. A body doesn’t want to drop in a word in edge-wise. I feel safer stepping between my brother's Rot and her food dish. Personally, between you, me and the duck, I worry for the health of some of these folk...:D

And of course, if I'm having a bad day, been dumped on by the boss, don't have a date for the prom or feeling like I'm takin' more than what I consider to be my fair share of the flak, I'd be a liar if I claim it's not going to influence whether or not or how or what I post.

The whys and wherefores of posting etiquette are pretty complex, unspoken and unwritten mysteries. It's easy to get lost and feel frustrated (I got to learn to type faster; when I started writing, the thread was about artist names for by TMNT npc’s and now it's about whether or not the Chaosium dragon is male, female or other. What the hell?).

Expectation plays a part as well. I think there's something unique to be had here at BRP Central—something forming out-of-the-norm: players who are emotionally invested, predominantly older (for now), very experienced, some articulate and prolific, sharing ideas, inspiring each other, talking with the author of the next phase, beginning to think and consider how influential they can be on the future of the next incarnation, revising, reconsidering and reevaluating their perspectives and long cherished hopes. I think we're on the cusp of something new and cool evolving into something newer and cooler, played and influenced by dudes and dudettes who are old and cool :cool: based on something older and cooler...what?...yeah! Or...maybe not...sigh. I wonder if that's why it can be so frustrating. The potential is almost palpable...but...at...times...seems...just...out...of...reach :P just ready to slip off the edge.

Anyway...I think it's cool when we consider that everyone's ideas about a forum are different and we make allowances for 'em. To do so may require a little adjustment here and there or giving up a degree or two of what some consider to be their god-given right of expression (note I did NOT say opinion), but I wonder if the rewards wouldn't be worth it.

Cheers,

Sunwolfe

Present home-port: home-brew BRP/OQ SRD variant; past ports-of-call: SB '81, RQIII '84, BGB '08, RQIV(Mythras) '12,  MW '15, and OQ '17

BGB BRP: 0 edition: 20/420; .pdf edition: 06/11/08; 1st edition: 06/13/08

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sunwolf:

You'll note early on I qualified my statement in regard to non-moderated boards. There tends to be some fairly big separations between unmoderated, lightly moderated, medium moderated and heavy moderated boards (and no, these aren't precise terms, but they're broad enough to be somewhat useful; this is a lightly moderated board by my standards, for example). The majority of gaming BBSes are lightly to moderately moderated; very few are heavily moderated (such as the bagpiping board you're refering to) and a few are effectively unmoderated. As such, people coming from a heavily moderated environment are going to find most gaming boards a bit rough at best.

I know in my case, I'm used to posting and lurking on Bob Dunsire's Bagpipe Web forums with 11,453 registered members and 1000s of posts each week.

I come from a background of hanging out in guitar groups and compared to almost any of those forums every RPG forum I've been on has been very mild: including the old usenet groups. Things refered to as "flames" around here are almost completely below the radar for me. I don't know if this is so much moderating level as just the general culture around the hobbie, and in fact I find myself inherently dealing with the two groups completely differently.

I come from a background of hanging out in guitar groups and compared to almost any of those forums every RPG forum I've been on has been very mild: including the old usenet groups. Things refered to as "flames" around here are almost completely below the radar for me. I don't know if this is so much moderating level as just the general culture around the hobbie, and in fact I find myself inherently dealing with the two groups completely differently.

That makes you the second person to say that about guitar groups. Now with the comment about bagpipe forums I'm going to steer clear of musicians. :eek:

Fortunately I don't know any, just a drummer. :P:D

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

Fortunately I don't know any...

Yes you do you Idiot. It is apparent to everyone else on these boards your logic behind that statement is completely inane, and I don't even know why I am lowering myself to your level by even discussing this with you loser.

Help kill a Trollkin here.

Yes you do you Idiot. It is apparent to everyone else on these boards your logic behind that statement is completely inane, and I don't even know why I am lowering myself to your level by even discussing this with you loser.

That's not very nice Rurik. You're on the BRP forum now, not on your flute forum. Behave.

SGL.

Ef plest master, this mighty fine grub!
b1.gif 116/420. High Priest.

Are you doubting my netiquette!?? :shocked:

SGL.

No you perspicacity.

Don't worry about Rurik's comment it's not what you think.

There is an old joke that goes:

What do you call someone who hangs around musicians?

The drummer!

Look at my statement, then Rurik's and I think you'll get it.

Hey! Even a INT 9 enlo can Google if his computer skill is high enough! :eek:

Sorry should have typed your perspicacity. I accidentally changed the context with that typo. Made it change from a quality to a classification.:o

To quite Rurik:

Oh the Irony.:

I guess lacked the perspicacity to notice my error. :o

If an infintinite number of monkeys can eventually type up the complete works of Shakespeare, you'd think I'd get through a sentence like that without a typo.:mad:

Damn monkeys. Smugly typing literary masterpieces and throwing dung as the passersby. :mad::mad:

If an infintinite number of monkeys can eventually type up the complete works of Shakespeare, you'd think I'd get through a sentence like that without a typo.:mad:

No! Your typos can be gems - let them flow! :)

(And there's no need to be jealous of your infinite colleagues, you pull your weight... ;))

Britain has been infiltrated by soviet agents to the highest levels. They control the BBC, the main political party leaderships, NHS & local council executives, much of the police, most newspapers and the utility companies. Of course the EU is theirs, through-and-through. And they are among us - a pervasive evil, like Stasi.

That makes you the second person to say that about guitar groups. Now with the comment about bagpipe forums I'm going to steer clear of musicians. :eek:

Fortunately I don't know any, just a drummer. :P:D

:D

There was a local cover band in a town I used to live in called, "Four Musicians and a Drummer".

Oh the Irony.

Seriously though, I hope it is pretty obvious I was joking there. I'd never say anything mean for real. :innocent:

Reading it cold, no you can't tell that you were joking. Really.

Joseph Paul

Joseph Paul

"Nothing partys like a rental" explains the enduring popularity of prostitution.:eek:

Reading it cold, no you can't tell that you were joking. Really.

Joseph Paul

Really? I thought it was pretty obvious, but then I've known Rurik via here and the Mongoose forum for a couple of years, so clearly my foreknowledge affects my perceptions....

OTOH, anyone actually offended by A's statement about drummers would be a drummer and hence would respond in a similar fashion...but with more typos! ;)

O think that is the crux of the matter. Since Rurik comment was aimed at me, and I am familiar enough with him to know how to take his comment (just like he knew how to take the drummer comment), everything is okay.

For someone less familiar with either of us looking in, it lookes more vicious that it really is.

No ill will was meant by anyone.

Except the monkeys, of course.