MW: First Session

1000buffalo

Howdy All,

Picked up the book Friday afternoon, and ran my first session this morning. ;D My three friends, regular players in my games, really enjoyed the game. They found the character generation pretty easy, and grokked the rules the quickest of any of the games we've played in the past couple years.

They were definitely interested in continuing the adventure (and relatively soon).

The three PCs were a human scribe, an elf hunter, and an elf sorcerer. None of the players were familiar with MW / BRP / CoC rules and play prior to the game. There were a good number of major wounds given out - most of them on the NPCs, and the sorcerer got to cast his magic.

The setting was the Southern Reaches as well.

We started at 11 am, and wrapped up at 3:45 pm. They rolled up characters from scratch, learned the rules (basics, anyway) and got through almost the entire adventure (major bad guys taken out) by close. It got pretty close in the end as well - I thought for sure the Sorcerer was going to bite it.

Good times.

Spoiler Alert

As it turns out, I'm playtesting various Magic World material (especially Southern Reaches stuff). Folks likely to be playing through should proceed with caution. I'll try to keep things vague for future updates, but no promises.

Edited by 1000buffalo
Added Spoiler Alert.

I had a similar experience. My group however know stormbringer so moving over was really easy. Character generation feels more structured in MW with those simple bonuses to skills in the character generation, which I like. Combat is also pretty fast for a fantasy RPG and yet feels detailed, storytelling fits easily into it and I and my players really like they setting. I Can’t wait for advanced sorcery to come out. I’m using a PDF but we’re going to buy a book as well. Books just feel more comfortable when looking stuff up to me. It’s great to hear there’ll be a bestiary too.

We had two session adventure covering some 6 hours in total. We're looking forward to some more over the Easter break.

Just to add some meat to the discussion, the scenario had the party meet up at a small inn along the White River, three or so days up river from Lashingport on their way to Shillingshead. Yes, I had them meet at an inn. The elves had come in with a caravan from the Lascalan, been paid out at Lashingport, and was making their way up river. The human scribe had just left her village two days prior, walking to the river (and inn).

I'm lucky in that I have generous, good players - they rolled with having their PCs click, and band together for the rest of the boat ride in the morning (and sharing the expense). The Scribe related some local River lore, very effectively i might add - I had given only her the two lore item handout. The adventure rolled from there.

Their first major encounter hit fast, and they wisely decided to use talk and guile to handle the situation, again very effectively. From their, they continued in a generally cautious fashion, and paid the price when they got rash.

They'd been playing GURPS Harn prior to Magic World, so had gotten somewhat into the spirit of flat HPs and "realistic" adventure. Nobody whip me over that realistic comment please - it's without judgment, but prior to GURPS, we were playing Pathfinder. Much different power curve.

Also, I'm being a bit cryptic on the adventure - it was written by a fellow board member, and I'm not sure where it might be published (soon).

Ohhh -- I think I know who wrote that one... That would be me.

Nobody has told me it was a state secret, so I will say that Nick (at Chaosium) is exploring using the Fishsinger's Daughter as part of a free MW Quick Start download that would be available from the Chaosium website. The Quick Start would likely be about 30 to 40 pages and have a set of pre-generated characters (same ones I posted in the Download section), a core set of mechanics for sampling the game, and a short adventure. The adventure, The Fishsinger's Daughter, is about 16 pages and is something I had put together to run at FLGS and cons as a quick introduction to MW; not a great adventure but fast and easy to follow.

• Like 1

Ohhh -- I think I know who wrote that one... That would be me.

Cool - let me publically say, "thank you!" - it's been a great material for the past couple sessions. My players have really enjoyed both the Fishsinger's Daughter and your follow-up material ;)

Nobody has told me it was a state secret, so I will say that Nick (at Chaosium) is exploring using the Fishsinger's Daughter as part of a free MW Quick Start download that would be available from the Chaosium website. The Quick Start would likely be about 30 to 40 pages and have a set of pre-generated characters (same ones I posted in the Download section), a core set of mechanics for sampling the game, and a short adventure. The adventure, The Fishsinger's Daughter, is about 16 pages and is something I had put together to run at FLGS and cons as a quick introduction to MW; not a great adventure but fast and easy to follow.

I did not use any pregens - my (3) players made their PCs the first session, and then we played. If not a "great" adventure, my players certainly took to it with some relish. The scenes require thought, and while experienced players may work it well, lay ones won't, I think.

The adventure played out over two sessions (session and a half, really), and there was enough decisioning that the players weren't unified on all courses of action. Roleplay and some negotiation ensued.

Two of the three players in my first session are relatively new - they've played a few other campaigns, but aren't super experienced. First timers with MW / BRP. Today's session had those two, another player - likewise even newer - and Ben.

Today was the second session - we got in several hours of play, plus pre-game banter and a break for some very tasty homemade chicken sandwiches.

The party consisted of two of the three players from the prior session, plus two additional (one returning regular and Ben, a guest-hopefully-regular). Only one PC stayed in rotation; Gary opted for a fighter sort instead of his elven sorcerer. He came in with a Stagali Mercenary, and Ben brought in a Human Warrior. Norm brought in a half-elven healer (who, with POW 16, also had Heal).

The three were worked into the narrative mid-story - the Stagali joined the fight (well, missed it) and Ben and Norm's PCs had been taken prisoner (for eating) by the bad guy. Set free, they stayed the night, investigated further (encountering an elemental, and nearly loosing several PCs to it before finding a means to defeat it).

After tying up some loose ends, they headed north to Shillingshead. They found accommodations, investigated employment, and did the sorts of things PCs so in big towns. They became snared in the interplay of nobles, unfortunately, and one of their band - Ben's PC - ended up poisoned ... for a long, slow but sure death unless they could find a fairly challenging component for an antidote.

So, into the marshes they headed, disembarking onto the Count's Court and searching through the mists and mires. After hours, they eventually found what they needed. The wyrm, having tracked them, found them ...

It was a horrible, desperate battle - one for which they were, really, ill-prepared. The Stagali fell, at death's door. The Healer managed to save him, but then succumbed to poison himself. The party - mainly thanks to the quick witted scribe (Tracy's PC) - drove it to within 2 of its HP and drove it off.

They nearly lost Ben's PC on the return trip, but made it in the nick of time. The Stagali suffered major concussions - we'll see about that, and the rest on the next adventure.

I thought it was going to be a TPK in a few places, actually.

The bloody, nasty combat notwithstanding the players said they really enjoyed both the session and Magic World.

It was a horrible, desperate battle - one for which they were, really, ill-prepared. The Stagali fell, at death's door. The Healer managed to save him, but then succumbed to poison himself. The party - mainly thanks to the quick witted scribe (Tracy's PC) - drove it to within 2 of its HP and drove it off.

Whaddyamean "drove it off"? We totally killed that thing. I've got the Stoorworm-hide Armor to prove it! :D

Please don't contact me with Chaosium questions. I'm no longer associated with the company, and have no idea what the new management is doing.

• 1 month later...

Bummer - players just called to cancel de to sickness. They're a couple (and generally host our game) so :( Our third player was also sick as of last night ... I was hoping to go on with 2, but can't with, ah, zero ...

That's when you start writting adventures...