How sturdy is the BRP hardcover?

Simlasa

I did a bit of damage to my softcover BGB over the weekend... nothing major, but it has been getting quite a workout and I'm thinking I want a second copy for backup and to keep somewhat pristine.

Another softcover would be nice but then I think, hey! I never did spring for the hardcover... maybe it's time.

Unfortunately, some hardcover games are wimpier than their softcover versions.

So how sturdy is it? With some of the early books from Games Workshop and Mongoose being on the low end (falls apart when you open it)... and college textbooks being on the upper end (mine at least were pretty darn durable).

Thanks for opinions.

K

I've just returned from an archaeological survey in the Umatilla mountains, 45 days of rustic tent camping. Brought the BGB hardcover with me. During that time, we went through two thunderstorms. The temperatures ranged from 50° to 90°f. At one point, the book was left inside a locked car with internal temperatures into 100°F. It remains solid, flat, with minimal to no page wrinkling. A copy of Pathfinder came along, a famously high quality product, and its pages are still wrinkled from humidity. While I still think my old 5th edition bluecover CoC is higher quality, the BGB hardcover is super solid.

Currently running...

Blood & Oil... The Wastes of Mad Max in BRP on Roll20

I did a bit of damage to my softcover BGB over the weekend... nothing major, but it has been getting quite a workout and I'm thinking I want a second copy for backup and to keep somewhat pristine.

Another softcover would be nice but then I think, hey! I never did spring for the hardcover... maybe it's time.

Unfortunately, some hardcover games are wimpier than their softcover versions.

So how sturdy is it? With some of the early books from Games Workshop and Mongoose being on the low end (falls apart when you open it)... and college textbooks being on the upper end (mine at least were pretty darn durable).

Thanks for opinions.

K

Dude,

I feel you pain. I dropped my hardcover version of OSRIC from about 3 ft. and the hardcover came off! The 400+ page interior is still bound together and now I am using it as a booklet with no cover. Damn Lulu!

As for the BGB, I bought the softcover version in 2009 and it has survived water spillage other abuse.

Edited by silent_bob

Yeah, my softcover is fine really... I spilled some coffee on it and it's a bit worn around the edges from toting it around in my big-bag-o-gaming. But the spillage and a bent corner had me thinking I might maybe want to look at getting a backup... just in case something really awful happens to it (flamethrower, exploding cow-pie, battery acid, swallowed by a crack in the earth, carried off by Byakhee, stolen by time travelers, eaten by gnomes...)

I decided to scientifically test out the sturdiness of the BRP hardcover, by rigorously beating it with the first object that came to hand. My conclusion was that the book was perfectly capable of withstanding multiple blows from a plank of wood...provided you removed all the protruding nails first. Unfortunately I didn't and now the book is a shredded mess. :-/

I decided to scientifically test out the sturdiness of the BRP hardcover, by rigorously beating it with the first object that came to hand. My conclusion was that the book was perfectly capable of withstanding multiple blows from a plank of wood...provided you removed all the protruding nails first. Unfortunately I didn't and now the book is a shredded mess. :-/

Funny, my usual first target for a rigorous beating was the head of a recalcitrant player. Once creased the cover of a Dungeon Masters' Guide across the cranium of my friend Tom...