Classic Fantasy or Magic Worlds

Flounder

Hello,

I'm looking for an alternative system for running games in the Forgotten Realms. Would this be best served by using the Magic Worlds book or BRP Classic Fantasy? Or would another d100 system be better than either of those? I have played a good bit of CoC in the past, but this will be my first experience with any of the other d100 type games.

One specific question I had about Magic Worlds vs Classic Fantasy would be the magic systems; which one would allow me to model both arcane and divine/spiritual magics? Not looking to emulate the D&D magic system, just retain the flavor of different types of magical power, from different sources.

Thanks very much,

Chris

I am very partial to Classic Fantasy, and it is remarkably true to old school D&D right out of the gate. I suspect you'd be very pleased with it. The magic system uses the standard BRP magic, supplemented with spells to more closely emulate AD&D. Just read through it last night and looking forward to playing it.

If you already have the BRP core rulebook (often referred to as the 'Big Golden Book' or BGB on these forums), then grabbing the Classic Fantasy monograph is the way to go for emulating D&D quite well, especially old school D&D. I'm not sure if you can still purchase the print copy through Chaosium (and the shipping costs are expensive if you are not from the USA/Canada), although the pdf version will be available from Chaosium or DrivethruRPG.

If you don't already have the BGB, then Magic World is a great buy for the BRP Fantasy genre, its more sword n sorcery focused I suppose. There are a few mechanics I don't consider great, but many who learnt BRP via the Elric/Stormbringer games certainly like this build of the BRP rules. In any case its a good fantasy book with everything you need if you don't already have the BGB.

Personally I actually prefer RuneQuest, but its a matter of taste. All BRP games play well in my opinion.

Also, regarding Classic Fantasy, I think I read that the author Rod was considering a new version using the OpenQuest variant of BRP. If this version was to come out with the OpenQuest rules self contained then this would be an excellent choice for D&D style BRP. Also, if you can find a copy of 'Age of Shadow' that is a fantasy setting with the OpenQuest rules self contained. I'm unsure if you can get it from Amazon, I think I hunted it down from Lulu.com. The setting has all the high fantasy tropes such as Elves, Dwarves, etc much in the vein of Greyhawk or Forgotten Realms, it could be easily used for what you're after.

Edited by Mankcam

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

Hello,

I'm looking for an alternative system for running games in the Forgotten Realms. Would this be best served by using the Magic Worlds book or BRP Classic Fantasy? Or would another d100 system be better than either of those? I have played a good bit of CoC in the past, but this will be my first experience with any of the other d100 type games.

One specific question I had about Magic Worlds vs Classic Fantasy would be the magic systems; which one would allow me to model both arcane and divine/spiritual magics? Not looking to emulate the D&D magic system, just retain the flavor of different types of magical power, from different sources.

Thanks very much,

Chris

I am currently running a Classic Fantasy campaign and it is great! It really captures the flavor of AD&D and converting AD&D material is much easier than with other d100 products.

You can buy the pdf for $16.50 at DriveThruRPG.com:

http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product/82084/Classic-Fantasy

As most here already have said I agree that Classic Fantasy is a great choice to emulate D&D style of gaming. But it does require the Basic RolePlaying book too. I myself prefer the new RuneQuest and have been toying with the idea of using it for a Forgotten Realms campaign. But in that case it would be more a case where I adapt the world to suit the rules than the other way around but it covers the most of the areas to be able to keep the flavor.

Easily Classic Fantasy, especially if you want to include niche protection. Personally, I use a mixture of both Magic World and Classic Fantasy for my Ravenloft game and they work very well together but you have to make some choices on what options to use and what to scrap.

70/420

Regarding the OP question, Classic Fantasy was specifically designed to run a D&D-style game using a d100/BRP system. Which makes it fit exactly into what you're looking for.

But keep in mind, its attempt to emulate all the bits and pieces that make for a D&D experience makes for a lot of rules that you won't find counterparts for in Magic World. Or any other d100/BRP game.

Magic World, as an Elric/BRP iteration, is simply a fantasy roleplaying game using the d100/BRP system. It is not trying to emulate D&D, it's just doing fantasy.

BTW, from what I heard about Classic Fantasy, the designer is doing a second edition based on RQ6 or Legend or somesuch, not Openquest.

I believe Age of Shadow was Middle-Earth-with-serial-numbers-filed-off. It looked great from my very brief skim.

BTW, from what I heard about Classic Fantasy, the designer is doing a second edition based on RQ6 or Legend or somesuch, not Openquest.

This would be correct. I LOVE and support OpenQuest (and will continue to do so), but as I started considering a conversion to one of the self-contained rule systems, namely OpenQuest or Legend, I had to take into account all the unpublished stuff I already had written. With Legend, I would have to change very little as I was writing most of it with the old Avalon Hill RQ in mind and Legend fit this perfectly.

The only thing I had to change to make it work the way I wanted was to go back to skill boxes for advancement. Other than that it really fit the bill. I also found it easy to tack my miniatures combat system onto their action system for those that want that as an option.

Flounder, I would suggest joining my Classic Fantasy Yahoo Group noted in my sig. if you would like more information along with some excellent conversions of some old adventure modules.

Happy gaming.

Join my Mythras/RuneQuest 6: Classic Fantasy Yahoo Group at https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/RQCF/info

"D100 - Exactly 5 times better than D20"