Fatigue, Combat, Vigour spell

flynnkd

My initial reading of the rules indicates that combat (any kind or just melee? shooting?) causes a fatigue roll after 2-4 rds (depending on CON).  Is that actually part of the combat system? It would add a lot of extra tracking. I'm happy to use it or not, just wanted to see if people actually use it. 

Also the Vigour folk magic spell seems to avoid saying combat, so I am assuming it doesn't work on fatigue suffered due to combat?  But Tire does, that would make it very powerful?

Also the Vigour folk magic spell seems to avoid saying combat, so I am assuming it doesn't work on fatigue suffered due to combat?  But Tire does, that would make it very powerful?

How do you make this interpretation? Tire doesn't mention combat either.

That said, Vigour does exactly as it says, irrespective of how the Fatigue was gained. But it's not a permanent effect: once the spell ends, the Fatigue comes back.

The Design Mechanism: Publishers of Mythras

DM logo Freeforums Icon.png

Medium Fatigue is caused by "Manual labour". As Vigour used the term "labour", I linked them.  If they wanted it to include Combat why didnt they just say "All forms of effort".  I can go either way with it.

Do you actually use this part of the rules though, making END rolls every 2-4 rds and track levels of fatigue?  There is already a lot of work going on with APs and special effects and wounds etc etc.  I would be interested in seeing how other people manage it all.

Medium Fatigue is caused by "Manual labour". As Vigour used the term "labour", I linked them.  If they wanted it to include Combat why didnt they just say "All forms of effort".  I can go either way with it.

Because we didn't feel it was necessary to draw a distinction between combat and other forms of physical activity for the purposes of the Vigour spell. If Vigour was not meant to alleviate combat-induced fatigue, we'd have made it clear.

Personally, I don't, but some people do. If a fight drags-on, or involves a lot of running around in very strenuous conditions, then I might call for Fatigue checks at the end.

The Design Mechanism: Publishers of Mythras

DM logo Freeforums Icon.png

I use a simplified system where you typically don't need to track Fatigue in combat, assuming that pure adrenalin will carry you through most short fights. After the fight is over, roll for the loss of one level of Fatigue. Longer fights, those lasting more than CON in rounds, track Fatigue as written. However, to be honest, I have yet to have a fight last that long.

Rod

• Like 1

Join my Mythras/RuneQuest 6: Classic Fantasy Yahoo Group at https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/RQCF/info

"D100 - Exactly 5 times better than D20"

• 5 years later...

Tabletop gaming, I don't generally use it cause there's plenty of grit and complexity already.

In roll20.net games (and similar online & highly automated venues, the effect is easier to track and I use it there.

As for Vigour, if the combat ends and the person can rest for 5 to 10 minutes, I don't have the fatigue carry forward, saying that the fatigue was cancelled out in the scene. If no rest is available prior to the scene ending, then the fatigue gets to 'catch up and get real'. (Strictly a house rule, but the OP did ask how people dealt with it, and that's how I do).

And you're correct about Tire being effective. Especially combined with Smother effects and combat accrual. You can easily just run outta go juice in a very short while.

We had an absolute great combat in a game a friend of mine was running. Temple defense scenario. Very prolonged fight against waves of mooks. We had to use the fatigue rules through much of it. We found them easy to use, and very evocative of what our characters were going through. Having played the prolonged fight, I don't think the fatigue rules are burdensome at all. (and my character bought the Vigour spell during his next training period, because man! that would have made the latter part of the fight easier).

Edited by pachristian
fixed "books" to "mooks".

I track Fatigue during combat, per RAW.  The good news is, in my game most combats don't last more than 3 rounds, which is when you need to make the first roll for characters with good CONs.  There have been occasions when a failed Endurance roll has made a big difference.

Our latest Horror Fantasy adventure has arrived.  Check out Old Bones Publishing on DriveThruRPG.com!

• 2 weeks later...

I might be in the minority here, but we do use fatigue in combat. To make it easier it is whatever someone is doing, and this could mean just casting spells etc.

I like it because it really puts the pressure on to finish combat as quickly as possible. So people tend to use specials to make opponents helpless and then compel surrender or force the defend etc.

Also our Theist uses Vigor a lot and the sorcerer's go to spell is 'erit!' in order to tire the opponents.

Can't see us changing this in the future.

• Like 1

inwils | 🎮 Gamer | 🎲 RPGer | 📹 YouTuber | 💻 Blogger | inwils 🎧 Podcaster