Genre Question

Merrik

I'm a great fan of the "Urban" supernatural type of Genre (if it is a genre on its own)

Things like Eden Studios Armageddon or the NWoD.. that sort of thing.

Has any one tried running something like that with BRP? How feasable do you think it would be

(I dont have Zero Edition yet... eagerly awaiting the Full version :) )

I haven't gotten around to running anything like that yet. But I ordered an old game that's perfect for that setting--supposedly better than WoD or anything White Wolf puts out.

Stellar Games Nightlife

And it even came out before any of White Wolf's products hit the market!

It looks like it's D100 all the way and a gold mine of source material for an urban supernatural setting. I guess the Nightlife Magic book has a magic system that may be the most flexible magic system put into a role playing game. This is all just hearsay, but this comes from people on forums, some of whom don't even like D100 systems, who say the setting is awesome and the magic system is incredibly intense.

Since it's D100, it shouldn't be too hard to port over to BRP.

Here's a Wikipedia page about it:Nightlife (role-playing game) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Btw, I think it's totally feasible to run an urban horror game in BRP. Just take the vampires and werewolves, etc., from the CoC rule book and put them in an urban setting where they battle over turf gangsta (or robber baron) style. As that seems to be the gist of most urban supernatural games

It's very easy to run an urban dark world/goth type campaign with BRP. I ported over all the White Wolf stuff (1 dot = 20% for skills, knowledges, abilities and 1 dot = 5 for attributes, used BRP for everything else) and it runs very easily.

The great thing about BRP is that it scales very easily from low level stuff (Call of Cthulhu) to insane power levels (a lot of the stuff online) and it allows other stuff to ported into it very easily (Interlock, Storyteller, Palladium, etc.)

Not having access to BRP Zero, I used Call of Cthulhu for 90% of the creature inspiration for my setting with Elric! making up the 10% for demons and other powerful beings.

-STS

I'm a great fan of the "Urban" supernatural type of Genre (if it is a genre on its own)

Things like Eden Studios Armageddon or the NWoD.. that sort of thing.

Has any one tried running something like that with BRP? How feasable do you think it would be

(I dont have Zero Edition yet... eagerly awaiting the Full version :) )

Yes very easy - tone done the Cthulhu Mythos stuff by tweaking the SAN mechanics, and Call of Cthulhu could do it now, but the new BRP will give you more options (including a psychic powers system that would work very well).

The biggest challenge with "urban supernatural" / "modern fantasy" is getting the atmosphere right - I think the new BRP's powers system would need tweaking out of the box to help with that, but the core system is a boon because it's so straightforward and fades in to the back ground so elegantly. If you can get hold of Chaosium's Nephilim, and especially the Liber Ka supplement about western magic that would be a very useful resource and compatible with BRP in the broad sense.

Cheers,

Nick

It's very easy to run an urban dark world/goth type campaign with BRP. I ported over all the White Wolf stuff (1 dot = 20% for skills, knowledges, abilities and 1 dot = 5 for attributes, used BRP for everything else) and it runs very easily.

Clever!

I've always wanted to try a modern fantasy campaign. I played some mage, but it was a little too angsty, for my taste, and I'm not a big fan of dice pool games. I couldn't get my core group to try Shadowrun, and I was already suffering d20 burnout when I read d20Modern's implied Urban Arcana setting.

I guess the closest I've come to this type of gaming is CoC in the roaring 20's. Sure, it lacks black lipstick, but it's definitely gothic in the baroque sense.

And don't forget Realism Rule # 1 "If you can do it in real life you should be able to do it in BRP". - Simon Phipp