Backwards Compatability

Depite the fact that RQ1 and 2 offered small glimpses of Glorantha as background, I will keep calling the current work in development as RQG, expecting that there will be a more significant introduction to the world than in RQ2. I'm willing to add numbers after the G if more editions of this appear.

• Like 1

Telling how it is excessive verbis

I don't think it really matters how Chaosium refers to the new edition, internally. Call it "RQ4" (or CRQ4 ;)) or whatever in your conference calls. Knock yourselves out. Your decision, and the labeling you use, won't matter when it comes to forum threads, or in face-to-face conversations between gamers. When the label comes up it'll probably lead to more confusion than clarity as a gamer tries to figure out which-the-hell edition the other gamer is talking about.

Probably not as much a concern with the newer RuneQuest gamer, who will simply categorize the game as "RuneQuest", and everything else as "old stuff". Unless they have a conversation with an RQ-grognard...

Referring to the new version of RuneQuest as just RuneQuest is fine, as long as there does not follow an even newer version of RuneQuest in a few years.

RQ4.5? God, let's hope not.

Edited by K Peterson

It may not matter that much, but if that was the case why make a point of coming onto a public forum and stating that you want to call it RQ4? 

I do think it is insulting to the creators of the last three editions - which were all legitimately licensed by Issaries while Moon Design were busy doing other things. It's also just confusing to the RQ fans, or those that like to follow the historical genealogy of the game. When Mongoose pointedly referred to their second bite at the game as "RQII", they were heavily criticised for it. Why should it be any different for nChaosium? 

I've no objections with the new game being titled simply "RuneQuest" (as they did with the current edition of Dungeons & Dragons), but it's a 7th edition of the game whether people want to be selective in it's history or not.  

Edited by TrippyHippy
  • Like 2