Cthulhu Godlike for Generic Supers

Archivist

Well, I think there is a niche for it in the Mythras line. If you think of the core genres established in Worlds of Wonder, we have Fantasy, Science Fiction and Supers:

- Classic Fantasy is well established, with a D&D flavour. 

- M-Space captures the science fiction niche, with a Traveller flavour. 

Now we just need a generic supers game of the ilk of SuperWorld and Champions and we'd see a trio of genres complete. I guess you could add a horror title too, if they wanted to present some alternative to CoC (Raiders of R'Lyeh, anyone?). 

Now, I haven't read Cthulhu Godlike yet, but it may serve as a good basis of a system.

• Like 1

On 10/10/2016 at 8:04 PM, TrippyHippy said:

I guess you could add a horror title too, if they wanted to present some alternative to CoC (Raiders of R'Lyeh, anyone?).

I love CoC (pre 7e) and Lovecraft's stories... but cheeeez wiz! I'd really, really like to see some non-mythos horror. There are other horror cosmologies out there that are just as cohesive as Lovecraft's (probably more so). Pull from ideas from slightly more modern authors like Ligotti, Cisco, Vandermeer... Clive Barker. File the numbers off Stephen King's ouvre and stitch it all together into a frankenmonster (a lot of his stories already weave to each other).

So yeah, I'd like to see a Mythras superhero game... that managed to stay dark/gritty like Godlike/Wild Talents... but I'd just as soon see the fucking Cthulhu left out of it.

Edited by Simlasa

I think the Elder Godlike approach is perfect for Mythras, since it's essentially a low-powered "factory" approach to building powers. It would need some more work. They could also take the  M&M approach, with generic effect-based powers, though I prefer the former (though the former is also easier to make for unbalanced powers).

Generic horror mechanics would also be great, both for "you're in a horror situation" like Delta Green or Hunter the Vigil, or you're something with superpowers but things are still horrible, like Vampire the Requiem.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Archivist said:

I think the Elder Godlike approach is perfect for Mythras, since it's essentially a low-powered "factory" approach to building powers. It would need some more work. They could also take the  M&M approach, with generic effect-based powers, though I prefer the former (though the former is also easier to make for unbalanced powers).

Generic horror mechanics would also be great, both for "you're in a horror situation" like Delta Green or Hunter the Vigil, or you're something with superpowers but things are still horrible, like Vampire the Requiem.

LutherArkwright has very good horror mechanics built in to it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Archivist said:

That bolded bit brings to mind 'The Whispering Vault'... often described as "Clive Barker's Superfriends."

• Like 1