Q&A with the new BRP Author

Jason D

Maybe so.

Two other options present themselves:

1. Urging folks to take extended discussions of any particular topic to another thread.

2. Starting new threads about a specific question. That might be the better way to go, as it would make searching later much easier.

Like Tweaker, I'll plead guilty to #1, and pledge to be good here.

On topic, I know you extracted and modified the magic system from MagicWorld, and based the superpowers system on the original SuperWorld; did you use anything from FutureWorld in the design?

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On topic, I know you extracted and modified the magic system from MagicWorld, and based the superpowers system on the original SuperWorld; did you use anything from FutureWorld in the design?
Not so much, other than some gear.

For my purposes, it was the weakest of the three books, in that it was very specifically one setting rather than a generic "type" of setting. The lack of space travel, for example, seemed very tied to that view rather than sci-fi in general.

Not so much, other than some gear.

For my purposes, it was the weakest of the three books, in that it was very specifically one setting rather than a generic "type" of setting. The lack of space travel, for example, seemed very tied to that view rather than sci-fi in general.

I was mostly curious if the equipment or aliens had ported over. Thanks.

How are fumbles handled in BRP? Is there a fumble chart?

Rolls of 99-00 if your skill is less than 50% are fumbles, and 00 if your skill is anything higher. There are fumble charts for melee, missile, and unarmed combat, and some guidelines are suggested for other skill, resistance roll, or characteristic check fumbles.

WhooHoo! Only 54 men will decapitate themselves! Making the battlefield a safer place since Humakt cut himself shaving with Death.

Murphy's Rules, "Cutting mistakes":

In a thirty minute Runequest battle (Chaosium) involving 6000 armored,

experienced warriors using Great Axes, more than 150 men will

decapitate themselves and another 600 will chop off their own arms or

legs.

Joseph Paul

Joseph Paul

"Nothing partys like a rental" explains the enduring popularity of prostitution.:eek:

I guess that leads to the next question. Has the fumble tables been made less lethal?

There were some modifications, but they're still pretty bad.

On the other hand, as hit locations are now optional, the combo of fumble + hit location is only there if the GM wants it to be.

Is there anything taken from the Shattered Isle suppliment? I am thinking specifically on the Aerial combat rules and the vehicles.

Nothing from there.

The chase rules from Call of Cthulhu are in the BRP corebook, but I suspect that one of the most demanded expansions to the core book will be a more robust or detailed vehicular combat system. I did some work on adapting the system from Sailing on the Seas of Fate and looked at the systems in Ringworld and Worlds Beyond (if I remember correctly), but it got to the point where it was, once more, way outside the scope of what BRP was intended to be.

I may put a system like that together as a web freebie to coincide with the core book. I'll send an email to Dustin and see if he's game and if they'll host it.

Is hit location information included for all the creatures (as locations are optional)?

There's a big collection at the end of the bestiary chapter with a dozen different hit location charts and the breakdown of how HP are divided amongst them. With that is a breakdown of HPs showing the different divisions (1/2, 1/3, 1/4/ 1/5, 2/5, etc.) for ease of reference for the math-challenged.

It's not as easy as RQ3's bestiary was, but then, those values were based on average stats and weren't accurate if the creature had a non-average SIZ and/or CON.

Hey Jason,

I was meaning to ask this and figured this was a good place in case anyone else is wondering the same thing.

I know this wasn't in the Playtest document I saw but was kinda hoping it could be a late addition.

In Pulp Cthulhu (I believe, as I havn't seen it) there was mention of a "Trait" system, something like a lighter version of advantages and disadvantages. Any chance of this making it in as an option?

Rod

Join my Mythras/RuneQuest 6: Classic Fantasy Yahoo Group at https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/RQCF/info

"D100 - Exactly 5 times better than D20"

In Pulp Cthulhu (I believe, as I havn't seen it) there was mention of a "Trait" system, something like a lighter version of advantages and disadvantages. Any chance of this making it in as an option?

Not much chance at all.

The majority of the playtesters were adamantly against traits in the way they're commonly understood. It was, I think, one of the bitterest discussions during the entire playtest process, and stemmed not from a discussion about traits, but the introduction of the special "profession abilities" from the Call of Cthulhu Investigator's Handbook. (If you're curious, those got cut.)

Personally, I'm not really in favor of them for "core" BRP, though I've enjoyed them mightily in other games. If someone wants to put together a traits system as a fan-made submission, or make them a part of a monograph, that's perfectly acceptable and I'd be interested in seeing such a system. Whether I'd use it... it would depend on the system.

So, anything more you can tell us about the cover Jason? The news section are screaming for more rumours you know... :rolleyes:

SGL.

I don't know anything solid.

The gist of what I reported on rpg.net is that Chaosium is aware that there is a negative perception, and is considering options.

I am aware of some of the options, and unaware of others.

If one of those options I'm aware comes to pass, I will be exceptionally pleased. (And that's beyond being unbelievably ecstatic that a core BRP rulebook largely written by me is actually in print.)

Obviously, I can't really speak publicly about the behind-the-scenes situation. I also don't want to give anyone the impression that a new cover is a foregone conclusion, because it's outside my control.

Is there anything taken from the Shattered Isle suppliment? I am thinking specifically on the Aerial combat rules and the vehicles.

As an aside, other than the brief mention of them in The Shattered Isle, is there anywhere in the canon of BRP materials that have aerial combat rules?

Oh, now a question from you. :)

I dont think so. I never read any BRP rule material with aerial combat other than that in shattered isle.

I should also mention that I've seen the stuff in Stormbringer (expansions of the Fly skill), and that's made it into the core book.

Are there any provisions for treasure generation in this book?

None whatsoever. There's some discussion of material rewards in the GM section, but given the setting-free nature of the rules, it didn't make any sense to include such a system.

Is there any development of weapon stats beyond what has already been published, like stats for the pilum, the chakram, etc.?

The weapons charts are pretty standard - nothing too unusual or strange. Again, given that it covers weapons from thrown rocks to plasma rifles, I had to keep the list fairly mainstream. Setting books will undoubtedly provide additional gear specific to the setting.