Zola Fel River Trade

Mark Mohrfield

12 hours ago, TRose said:

A guess on my part , but I can see the Lunar Empire hiring a fleet from who ever had a ship to spare or rent out instead of building a Fleet to attack Karse. The Lunar Empire Fleet could have then come from the Easter Islands, Teshos, Wolf and Vormain  Pirates , Fronit, and even Troll ships from Jureastela ( Hired by Blue moon Trolls).

It would be far cheaper and faster to hire mercenary ships then build a fleet from scratch.

But not workable if you plan on maintaining a naval presence for the long term.  Of course, there are security issues either way...

On 1/19/2017 at 5:49 PM, TRose said:

A guess on my part , but I can see the Lunar Empire hiring a fleet from who ever had a ship to spare or rent out instead of building a Fleet to attack Karse. The Lunar Empire Fleet could have then come from the East Islands, Teshos, Wolf and Vormain  Pirates , Fronit, and even Troll ships from Jrustela ( Hired by Blue moon Trolls).

It would be far cheaper and faster to hire mercenary ships then build a fleet from scratch.

The problem with this option is that with the possible exception of Teshnos, the Lunars have not been to Jrustela, the East Isles, Fonrit or Vormain, and the only Wolf Pirates they have met hate the Lunars.  On the other hand hiring mercenary ships is a good idea.  The logical choice however would be to approach merchant families in Esrolia and the many trader ships coming from the West.  On the other hand, Fazzur didn't need the help of a mercenary navy in 1619, they took the city by assault.  Karse is a city of 6000, and not the biggest port in the region.  On the other hand it is huge when compared to Corflu and is strategically important to the Lunars for that reason, and is the largest port in the Heortlands as far as I can tell.  

1 minute ago, Darius West said:

The problem with this option is that with the possible exception of Teshnos, the Lunars have not been to Jrustela, the East Isles, Fonrit or Vormain, and the only Wolf Pirates they have met hate the Lunars.  On the other hand hiring mercenary ships is a good idea.  The logical choice however would be to approach merchant families in Esrolia and the many trader ships coming from the West.  On the other hand, Fazzur didn't need the help of a mercenary navy in 1619, they took the city by assault.  Karse is a city of 6000, and not the biggest port in the region.  On the other hand it is huge when compared to Corflu and is strategically important to the Lunars for that reason, and is the largest port in the Heortlands as far as I can tell.  

I know of at least one Lunar who has been and is in Fonrit from the early/mid 1620s :)...Kythra Menna

8 minutes ago, Martin said:

I know of at least one Lunar who has been and is in Fonrit from the early/mid 1620s :)...Kythra Menna

Definitely interesting.  I wonder when she got there?  Sounds like a successful post-Karse Lunar Mission, however there is nothing stopping independent Lunars from potentially obtaining a ship and crew during a period of peace and sailing off, other than the religious and political loyalties  of the people who might sell them the ship. You make a good point, I was not aware of Kythra Menna.  I wonder if she has the political clout to hire a Fonritan navy?

Edited by Darius West

8 hours ago, Martin said:

I think Kythra is a native Fonritan rather than a Lunar missionary from overseas. The original Yranian Leapers worshipped the Red Moon despite the Closing being in effect. 

On the other hand, Livia Tarinda (Guide p476) is explicitly stated to be from the Lunar Empire.  But I think her work is mainly religious and would have no time for organizing a fleet from the Eastern Isles to help out some military operation in Kethaela