Converting arcade games into scenarios--does it work?

Erico

I'm new to the paper-pencil-dice RPG, and want to know some-thing:
I read that Mythras allows for quick and exciting action, the kind you get in hollywood movies.  This made me think of converting an old action-oriented side-scroller arcade game, Ghosts 'N' Goblins (1985), into a scenario.  Question:  would this "work"?  Or would it get quickly slow and boring?  Would it be only for advance players to survive?  What if you made it less lethal--would it still be exciting?  It looks like it would be fun to explore such areas in the video game, but would it still be fun as a RPG, to enter GnG's graveyard, forest, and mountain with your friends?--or would it be just too lethal and unplayable?  Will it be a flop, and if so, then what would you have to add to make it "work"?
--Thanks,
Erico.

While i haven't done it with Mythras, I've converted movie plots into RP games. Main thing you have to be mindful of when doing that is to not make the game plot linear, well, unless your players don't mind railroading! I know a video game tends to be linear, but so is a movie plot, unless you pull all of the locations from the movie out of it's linear plot and allow them to be visited in any order.

I'm sure you could do something similarly with a video game plot.

Edited by Skunkape

Skunk - 285/420 BRP book

You wanna be alright you gotta walk tall

Long Beach Dub Allstars & Black Eyed Peas

I played a LOT of Ghosts & Goblins (and its sequel) back in the day. I could see building a scenario/setting based on it and similar games (like Castlevania and Mystic Defender and... lots of stuff) but so much of the feel of those is the music and the graphics and the frantic gameplay... I'd want to focus on what other elements make Ghosts & Goblins memorable/unique and I don't think there is much except maybe the boss monsters. Without its visual/audio G&G is pretty much just vanilla fantasy with near constant frenetic combat.

Mythras Classic Fantasy would be a way to go, map out the areas and stat the monsters/bosses... but I'm not sure how much it, or any TTRPG, would be recognizable as the original. Could still be a lot of fun though.

Most TTRPGs I like make combat fairly deadly... and there are no respawn points (though you could make up a rule for them). It's usually wise to avoid violence, negotiate, or make sure you have a decidedly upper hand in combat. So already, that feels different than G&G, because I would be sneaking through that graveyard as much as possible... or trying to find a way to avoid it entirely. Hopefully, there'd be more than one path to take... because you can't make deals with those zombies.

Despite being fun in video games I do think that constant ongoing combat in a TTRPG can get boring. Either it is dangerous and you'd quickly end up dead/captured/turned into a zombie... or it's of no consequence and just becomes tedious. It's better to use combat as a spice rather than a main course in TTRPGs, IMO. But again, that sets them apart from arcade games (skirmish wargames would be a different matter and might be a better fit).

Also, the combat in G&G is pretty simple... it just depends on running/jumping/shooting with whatever weapon you have active, and that isn't always something you can control (I'm not sure how I'd go about recreating the G&G weapons... they're pretty much guns with unlimited ammo). Combat in Mythras has a lot more options to it, and while it can be pretty quick once you have practice it will still feel a lot different than G&G.

G&G (like most arcade games) is a pretty simple (not easy) game in terms of setting elements and what it sets out to do. Mythras/Classic Fantasy has a lot of details you wouldn't necessarily need... cults and skills and whatnot. Unless you were going to create a wider setting for it I think you might be better served by some basic D&D clone or maybe a flavor of Savage Worlds.

Edited by Simlasa
  • Like 1

Dare I say, at the risk of a shameless plug :D, you might want to check out this scenario, as a baseline to implementing your idea.  I wrote it not with a video game in mind, but I think it might fit your needs.  Plus, Mythos horror vibe...  Check the taster.

http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/193355/Broch-Groddath

http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/193408/Broch-Groddath--FREE-TASTER

• Like 1

Our latest Horror Fantasy adventure has arrived.  Check out Old Bones Publishing on DriveThruRPG.com!

Using Savage Worlds is a good point, Simlasa! Didn't consider SW, but the way its combat works I think would be a pretty good fit to give a video game 'feel' to a gaming session or campaign.

Edited by Skunkape
Because my grammer sucks and I didn't review my copy before I posted.

Skunk - 285/420 BRP book

You wanna be alright you gotta walk tall

Long Beach Dub Allstars & Black Eyed Peas

On 8/16/2017 at 7:07 AM, Erico said:

I'm new to the paper-pencil-dice RPG, and want to know some-thing:
I read that Mythras allows for quick and exciting action, the kind you get in hollywood movies.  This made me think of converting an old action-oriented side-scroller arcade game, Ghosts 'N' Goblins (1985), into a scenario.  Question:  would this "work"?  Or would it get quickly slow and boring?  Would it be only for advance players to survive?  What if you made it less lethal--would it still be exciting?  It looks like it would be fun to explore such areas in the video game, but would it still be fun as a RPG, to enter GnG's graveyard, forest, and mountain with your friends?--or would it be just too lethal and unplayable?  Will it be a flop, and if so, then what would you have to add to make it "work"?
--Thanks,
Erico.

Generally, I find that the two mediums of RPG (tabletop / f2f / P&P =vs= computer) each do something different, and neither is a "satisfactory" substitute for the other.

Some of the modern CRPG's (with side-channel Skype/etc to connect a group of players) does come closer to tabletop, but the computer =vs= human GM is a telling difference, to me; as is the instant action-oriented feedback of CRPG combat.

• Like 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

1 hour ago, g33k said:

Generally, I find that the two mediums of RPG (tabletop / f2f / P&P =vs= computer) each do something different, and neither is a "satisfactory" substitute for the other.

I agree.
I think there are legit reasons for wanting to adapt one from the other, such as to more fully explore a setting or to get a fuller sensory experience, but you have to be clear what you are seeking and what you are giving up.