Makeshift Weapons

heathd666

a question came up last night during our M-space game and i didnt know the answer even after a quick search through m-space, mythras core, and mythras imperative. are there any rules for using things for weapons that wasnt intended to be used for weapons. for example using a trash can lid as a shield against a baseball bat? or a lamp as a blunt weapon etc. thanks in advance for any ideas.

• Like 1

Classic Fantasy has the most basic of information for improvised weapons as an entry on both the one-handed and two-handed weapon tables. It really just serves as an example to serve as a base to extrapolate from.

Essentially, a 'generic' one-handed weapon does 1d6-1, has a Size of S to M, and a Reach of M. A 'generic' two-handed weapon does 1d8-1, has a Size of M to L (there is a typo noting it as S to M), and a Reach of S (typically, a two-handed improvised weapon, like a bar stool, will have a shorter reach then a one-handed improvised weapon, like a pool cue). However, this is subject to interpretation by the GM based on the actual item.

In all cases, an improvised weapon's Combat Effects are assigned on a case-by-case basis, and attacks are one grade more difficult.

I wish I had thought to add Improvised Shield to the Table.

Rod

• Like 1

Join my Mythras/RuneQuest 6: Classic Fantasy Yahoo Group at https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/RQCF/info

"D100 - Exactly 5 times better than D20"

Rod's advice sounds very good. I usually go with 1d4 for most normal stuff like chairs, umbrellas and baseball bats. For sturdier objects made of wood or metal I use 1d6. Anything with a sharp edge might be best to compare with a traditional melee weapon and just downgrade damage a bit.

1683589267_frostbyteloggaFsvarttiny2.jpg.22ebd7480630737e74be9c2c9ed8039f.jpg   FrostByte Books

M–SPACE   d100 Roleplaying in the Far Future

Odd Soot  Science Fiction Mystery in the 1920s

I'm on the same page, quibbling aside.  Perhaps the biggest consideration is the Special Effect(s) that the impromptu weapon affords:  Stun, Bleed, Impale, Entangle, or what have you.

Edited by Matt_E

Our latest Horror Fantasy adventure has arrived.  Check out Old Bones Publishing on DriveThruRPG.com!