So what's it like?

PhilHibbs

I seem to remember in a post at rpg.net that someone said it resembles Elric! and Stormbringer 5 more than most other forms of BRP. That may be pure speculation, though.

That seemed to be the way it defaults, but apparently if you toggle some of the optional rules it gets awfully close to RQ (I don't know whether that's RQ2 or RQ3, though).

...but apparently if you toggle some of the optional rules it gets awfully close to RQ...

There are a lot of optional rules to tweak to your taste. Unfortunately, I've only read RQII and RQIII so I may not be the best authority on the subject.

We need Jason Durall on these boards to answer all the questions.

Edit: By the way, PhilHibbs, I have to thank you. I believe I discovered Sandy's Sorcery from a link on a website of yours.

70/420

I surely do like what I am reading about it so far. A sturdy, very workable system as a base that you can tweak with a list of options to make it your very own sounds very, very good to me.

I look at that cover and get the kind of goosebumps over a game I have not felt for a loooong time.

There are a lot of optional rules to tweak to your taste. Unfortunately, I've only read RQII and RQIII so I may not be the best authority on the subject.

We need Jason Durall on these boards to answer all the questions.

I believe Jason was who said you could get pretty close to RQ with the right options.

Any old RQII/RQIII fans able to comment on how the system compares?

Pick the right optional subsystems (Skill category modifiers, Hit locations, strike ranks) and you will have something virtually indistinguishable from RQIII in how it plays (albeit there are a lot of nice refinements in defining skills, levels of success, and other details e.g. opposed skills). Pick a different set of options and you will have something very like Call of Cthulhu, or Stormbringer.

The big difference is in the "powers" - the playtest had two magic systems (modelled from Magic World and Stormbringer), a mutations system (Hawkmoon), a super powers sytem (Superworld) and a Psychic Powers system (ElfQuest). The RQIII Magic Book is currently available from Chaosium as the BRP Magic Book, and is pretty compatible with the new BRP imo, although whether it will remain available after BRP sees print I don't know - I hope so.

Cheers,

Nick Middleton

I don't see any reason they couldn't keep the Magic Book; it's not even close to what Mongoose did for RQ - which brings up something else - As far as playtesters, lots of playtesters for the Mongoose RQ jumped ship, and told horrible stories (which came true). Since this hasn't happened, I, for one, will choose to beleive that everything will be great. :D

The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done."

George Carlin (1937 - 2008)

(92/420)

Pick the right optional subsystems (Skill category modifiers, Hit locations, strike ranks) and you will have something virtually indistinguishable from RQIII in how it plays (albeit there are a lot of nice refinements in defining skills, levels of success, and other details e.g. opposed skills). Pick a different set of options and you will have something very like Call of Cthulhu, or Stormbringer.

The big difference is in the "powers" - the playtest had two magic systems (modelled from Magic World and Stormbringer), a mutations system (Hawkmoon), a super powers sytem (Superworld) and a Psychic Powers system (ElfQuest). The RQIII Magic Book is currently available from Chaosium as the BRP Magic Book, and is pretty compatible with the new BRP imo, although whether it will remain available after BRP sees print I don't know - I hope so.

Cheers,

Nick Middleton

This is exactly what I am looking for. A game that is playable as is, but that can be changed to fit your play style. I am also glad to hear about the refinements. The game is good already, but it could use a little polish after 30 years. :)

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

Bertrand Russell (1872 - 1970)

30/420