Charge Attacks, Multiple Attacks, Grappling

dieselpunk

Hey folks.

I have a few questions about combat:

1. How might I go about handling a charge attack where someone is just running in and slamming into an opponent?
  2. If a weapon allows multiple attacks per round (e.g. Light Pistol), does the attacker have to have a skill >100% to take advantage of the multiple attack capability of the weapon?
  3. It seems if Grappling is used you more/less have to use hit locations. I know it says on p. 61 that the GM should "reinterpret them for a game not using hit locations, or disallow the effects", but that seems to defeat almost all purposes of grappling and is just more work. I'm not currently using hit locations, but like to mix things up in combat to keep things fresh. Any suggestions for non-hit location grapple effects?

Thanks!

Edited by dieselpunk

1. Depends. Do you mean just running into the opponent and not really trying to grab, punch or know down the opponent? 

If they are just running/slamming into the opponent I'd just treat it as an "attack on the run" and have it do 1D3 or maybe 1d4+db. . Probably 1D4 to help make up for the increased momentum from the change (since the attacker is getting his db anyway the usual bonus =for charing- the mount's db doesn't apply). 

If they are trying to knock the opponent down/flying tacking, I'd treat it as a knockdown attack, and kick in a bonus (say +1 per 3 move on the resistance table) for the movement. 

if they are trying to grapple an opponent I'd treat it as a grapple, with possibly a bonus for the charge. 

2. No. Weapons capable of multiple attacks/ shots per round (missile weapons) allow each attack at full percentage. This reflect the fact that multiple shots from a weapon are separate attacks and don't really combine in the same way a bunch of maneuvers are combined to make up a single melee attack. 

3. I'd suggest doing what they do in Pendragon (a related RPG that doesn't use hit locations). In that RPG a successful grapple means the target is seized in a hold for that turn. Next turn the grapple can try to immobilize the target, or throw them,

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

• 2 months later...

After having a chance to try grappling in a game I have some more questions:

It seems like there's no real way for defenders to escape grappling. The rules seem to imply that the grappler maintains their hold as long as they can keep making their grappling rolls. True?

It seems like those with a decent skill in grappling can be really effective while having average or passing skill makes it almost pointless to use since it takes 2 rounds to (maybe) do anything and there's a good chance you're not going to make 2+ rolls consecutively.

Also, if the defender is wielding a gun and is grappled in round 1 (say by a higher initiative foe), would they be attacking at difficult penalty and benefiting from point blank range bonus for a net chance of their base attack?

The ways for someone to escape a grapple.

1. If the grappler  fails his grapple check at the start of his turn
  2. The grappler making a maneuver that forces a resistance check and failing it
  3. If the grappler isn't grappling the arms and allows the grappled person to grapple back.

I personally just have the characters make opposed grapple checks with whoever rolls lowest or the best level of success 

It's actually harder to initiate a grapple then you think. Even if the guy initiating succeeds on his grapple check, the defender still has the ability to parry his own grapple skill or dodge. If the defender wins over the attacker, then the grapple fails. If the attacker wins over the defender, then two things can happen: if the defender dodges then the attacker can roll (or choose in my case) where he grapples or if the defender parries then the attacker can only grapple the arms.

If the defender is wielding a gun I would grant them the point blank bonus, but I would also allow the attacker to parry using his grapple skill. Remember that they can't use their gun if the arm that's holding the gun is being grappled.

You like Fading Suns? Well, I made a thing that's kinda like it!

17 hours ago, KPhan2121 said:

Remember that they can't use their gun if the arm that's holding the gun is being grappled.

They could probably pull the trigger. It might not be pointed at anyone, but...

7 hours ago, Atgxtg said:

They could probably pull the trigger. It might not be pointed at anyone, but...

50/50 chance of hitting the opponent, or yourself, I like those odds ...

• Like 1

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

Oh the shot could head off in a lot of different ways; into you, your opponent, a friend, the controls, handy bundle of dynamite, recently recovered master tape of lost Doctor Who episodes, signed copy of RQ3 rules. The possibilities are endless. I'd probably just say if you pull the trigger make a luck roll or roll on the fumble table.

But now try imagining any of that happening with a bow. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Atgxtg said:

Oh the shot could head off in a lot of different ways; into you, your opponent, a friend, the controls, handy bundle of dynamite, recently recovered master tape of lost Doctor Who episodes, signed copy of RQ3 rules. The possibilities are endless. I'd probably just say if you pull the trigger make a luck roll or roll on the fumble table.

But now try imagining any of that happening with a bow. 

We had something "like this" happen in one of the RQ games I was in! Damn Ogre. :)

SDLeary