Healing Plants

Martin

You've probably seen this comment by Eric Rowe: http://rpgreview.net/rqlists/rq-dailies/hl/v930406

"As to named plants in Glorantha, there are many, such as Red Clover, Missle Root, Kokolonni and IronTree Pine (All of which are found in Dragon Pass and were used to alleviate the acid itch plague until a cheaper dried cactus from prax was also found to work). The only herb known in great detail is Skullbush. I have managed to gather all the Gloranthan plants together in a compendium and may someday be convinced to type them all in and send them to the digest."

----

(Me:) RW Plants used to treat itching (besides aloe) include basil, chickweed, burdock root, juniper berries and leaves, peppermint, thyme, and witch hazel. Perhaps some can be matched up with the last three.

• Like 1

I recall another article 'written by' a wandering botanist that may have included some of those, but at this point I'm not sure where it is among my numerous RQ supplements and mags.  Missile Root and Irontree Pine ring a bell from that.  Does anybody have a clearer memory of it?

Edited by Yelm's Light

8 minutes ago, Yelm's Light said:

I recall another article 'written by' a wandering botanist that may have included some of those, but at this point I'm not sure where it is among my numerous RQ supplements and mags.  Missile Root and Irontree Pine ring a bell from that.  Does anybody have a clearer memory of it?

Perhaps it was by Rodin Greenbeak... I'm looking through TotRM

10 minutes ago, jeffjerwin said:

Perhaps it was by Rodin Greenbeak... I'm looking through TotRM

That narrowed it down for me.  TotRM #12, p. 32, "Plants" by Eric Rowe.  Unfortunately, none of the above are there...and now a more complete version seems to be niggling at my mind.  I'm on the case!

ETA:  It appears to be a regular column.  I only have #12, 14, and 15, but there's a plants article in each.

Edited by Yelm's Light

It's probably the seemingly inaccessible "Rodin Greenbeak’s Guide to Gloranthan Flora" mentioned here: 

https://myth-o-logic.org/glorantha/on-snakepipes-edge/flora-and-fauna/flora-fauna-of-the-far-place/

as being at the Berkley Soda FTP server...

The game's afoot (or at least the shrubbery!)

Eric Rowe wrote here: http://rpgreview.net/rqlists/rq-dailies/hl/v931020p1 (in 1993): "Now that I finally have caught up on these darn digests (took 4 weeks) I can let everyone know that if they wish a complete Guide to Gloranthan Flora they can e-mail me at rowe@soda.berkeley.edu or just ftp it from the archive site there. It lists all official and unofficial gloranthan plants currently published with only a few magazines not included yet..."

Edited by jeffjerwin

• 11 months later...

Agipith is a spiny cactus that was consumed (via a secret method) by Iffinbix cultists in order to safely enter their temples.  This suggests that agipith is poisonous if not properly prepared.

Pavis Common Knowledge page 11.  The spiny cactus bit, culled from online sources.

Missle Root sounds like a tongue-in-cheek play on, or adaptation of, Mistletoe. The European mistletoe has seen some traditional medical usage, apparently to alleviate headaches and arthritis, and possibly to help with blood circulation. I don't have the qualifications to say whether any of this actually works, though - but seems like it would be applicable to Glorantha.