Integrating Ideas from CoC7th into Magic World.

Oni

I was looking through the CoC 7th ed. quick start and I thought there were a lot of really interesting ideas in there. I was wondering if anyone has thought about, or actually integrated any of the mechanics into their magic world game. 

Specifically I'm thinking of adding the Hard Success level. As well as throwing in the fighting back option. Slightly more leery of, but still interested in, adopting the simplified maneuver system from the quick start as well as the use of bonus and penalty dice, particularly for being outnumbered. 

Just curious if anyone else has messed around with any of this and how it might/did affect the game. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hi Oni,

Thought I'd throw a few comments up...

- After now playing 7th edition, I've discovered that it actually slows games down (not too much), especially in regards to the Difficulty level... I prefer a simple flat 'roll under' number that BRP traditionally uses, as what happen now is that the Keepers (or 7th Ed scenarios) are always looking to have the characters roll 'Hard' or 'Extreme' rolls. BRP type characters are already pushing it to roll under on skills that they only invested a few points in....

- Bonus and Penalty Dice really screw up success/failure chances... again for little benefit. If you have a hit skill already it adds little and if you have a low skill (say default 10%) then all you're getting is another 1 in 10 chance to succeed.

- I find it funny, in a weird way that they added the Difficulty and Bonus Dice mechanics, but removed the Resistance table (which was a prefect generic tool) as being too difficult to use. :P

That might sound all too negative, but on the whole I've enjoyed the 7th ed games I've played in... plenty that I do like...

Marcus

• Like 3

Stormbringer! - Exploring the worlds of the Eternal Champion at http://www.stormbringerrpg.com

Unbound Publishing - Bringing back the fear - http://www.unboundbook.org

DCtRPG.info - Supporting Dark Conspiracy across the decades - http://www.darkconspiracytherpg.com

• 1 year later...

I am now 2 sessions into a CoC 7th Edition / Pulp / MW game.  My players like the 7th edition rules, especially flight back and fighting manoeuvres.  I have tweaked some MW magic rules to fit and all well so far.  

I did introduce a house ruled shield fix.  As well as fighting back and dodge I introduced Defend.  In this the PC uses his WS in opposition and in case of a draw the defender wins just like dodge.  However if the defender uses a shield he uses his shield skill and gains a bonus dice.  It seems to work so far.

I find the CoC7 rules faster... and the success levels are clearer for everyone and a better replacement for the Resistance Table. Opposed rolls are based on the opponent's skill level, and then assigning a normal, hard or extreme roll. I also love the Fight Back rules. I agree that bonus or penalty dice may seem akward but they replace bonus percentiles... I find it easier to add one or two dice than adding +25 or -15 or whatever. I use this rules as my go to generic BRP rules.

Edited by el_octogono

Check my Lobo Blanco - Elric RPG (now in english!)

There's really nothing in CoC 7e's changes that I find to be improvements... so no, not interested.
There are a few thing from Mythras that I like and might borrow (Mysticism)... but my real interest would be something that weirds-up magic a bit, ala Dungeon Crawl Classics... makes things a bit more unpredictable and less 'rational'.

• 6 months later...

I find that having the extra success level (hard success) speeds things up in opposed rolls, there is much less stalemate due to this.

So I've ported it into any of my bRP games!!!

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"