Questions concerning Monographs

Dr. Bubonicus

Hello:

I'm a new member to these forums. So, if there is a thread (or link) that offers answers to these questions, just post them and I'll waste no more of your time.

I was curious about what is involved in writing a monograph OR licensed setting for the BRP setting. I realize the latter is far more involved than the former and that Chaosium isn't going to toss out licensing to just anyone.

Also, does Chaosium give the writers of the monographs any sort of payment when they sell their work or is it just a way that Chaosium supports fan produced materials?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for having me on your forums and I look forward to spending more time here. Take care :)

-George

I was curious about what is involved in writing a monograph OR licensed setting for the BRP setting. I realise the latter is far more involved than the former and that Chaosium isn't going to toss out licensing to just anyone.

Chaosium's sample license can be seen here. It's not particularly "amateur friendly" - but that's clearly not the intent, and from a small press publisher's point of view I gather it's terms seem pretty reasonable.

Also, does Chaosium give the writers of the monographs any sort of payment when they sell their work or is it just a way that Chaosium supports fan produced materials?

Chaosium's monograph submission guidelines can be found here.

Cheers,

Nick

A couple of things confused me when I read through the monograph guidelines

1) No use of third party mapping programmes, since campaign cartographer ( for example ) gives express permission to use the software in both private and professional work, how does the licensing problem occur ?

2) All artwork must be original. If for example I was doing a monograph on the Etruscans, does this mean I can't use public domain photo's and artwork, would I laboriously have to draw every single vase, falchion, bronze helmet etc etc from scratch, when there is ample open source/public domain artwork out there which is miles better than anything I'm ever going to be able to produce? What's the reasoning behind this ?:confused:

If I recall, the Chaosium License basically gives you the right to create and publish material for BRP, but you're the one responsible for printing and distribution. No money changes hands between you and Chaosium-- instead you give them a certain amount of copies (or the right to sell a set amount of pdfs).

For a little while I looked into 3rd party RQ publishers to submit work to, but I'm not willing to give up the creative rights to my stuff. It's a personal goal of mine to get a license, but right now I'm more drawn to Monograph creation. I don't mind doing the illustrations and the maps. And since they're limited printings you still have the option to pursue a license afterward if you want. Monographs are good motivators to get the work done, and it's still yours when you're finished.

There are resources out there that have open license images that you could probably use for your Etruscan thing. If I get a chance I'll look around for you.

"If you want your children to be intelligent, read them fairy tales. If you want them to be more intelligent, read them more fairy tales."

"When I examine myself and my methods of thought, I come to the conclusion that the gift of fantasy has meant more to me than any talent for abstract, positive thinking."

~Albert Einstein~

If I recall, the Chaosium License basically gives you the right to create and publish material for BRP, but you're the one responsible for printing and distribution. No money changes hands between you and Chaosium-- instead you give them a certain amount of copies (or the right to sell a set amount of pdfs).

That is the Chaosium Licensee License, NOT the Monograph guidelines. The Chaosium Licensee License effectively means you're an independent publisher who puts out books that use some aspect of BRP.

A monography is a book where the author does the layout, artwork, proofing, etc. and sends the completed work to Chaosium. In turn, Chaosium pays $250 for the right to sell 500 copies through their website -- it will not enter the normal distribution channels.

A couple of things confused me when I read through the monograph guidelines

1) No use of third party mapping programmes, since campaign cartographer ( for example ) gives express permission to use the software in both private and professional work, how does the licensing problem occur ?

2) All artwork must be original. If for example I was doing a monograph on the Etruscans, does this mean I can't use public domain photo's and artwork, would I laboriously have to draw every single vase, falchion, bronze helmet etc etc from scratch, when there is ample open source/public domain artwork out there which is miles better than anything I'm ever going to be able to produce? What's the reasoning behind this ?:confused:

Since the majority of monograph authors are amateurs with little to no experience in the industry, I imagine that making blanket statements like that is the easiest way Chaosium has to protect themselves from copyright suites. If you know for a fact that Campaign Cartographer allows for professional reproduction of the maps and that the photos are truly in the public domain I don't see it being a problem, just be ready to back it up if necessary. ;) Numerous monographs have used photographs and at least one has used Campaign Cartographer maps.

I will, however, say that in this monograph the CC maps came out horribly dark and muddy. I think that's more because of the printing/reproduction process than anything inherent in CC. If you have a way of producing line art maps that would probably turn out better visually.

A monography is a book where the author does the layout, artwork, proofing, etc. and sends the completed work to Chaosium. In turn, Chaosium pays $250 for the right to sell 500 copies through their website -- it will not enter the normal distribution channels.

If they ever get around to actually paying you, which doesnt seem to be their priority.

That is the Chaosium Licensee License, NOT the Monograph guidelines. The Chaosium Licensee License effectively means you're an independent publisher who puts out books that use some aspect of BRP.

Yeah, I think that was the point was trying to make. If I wasn't clear, probably my bad, as I get little sleep these days.

I think that writing Monographs is a good way to get things going--keep the blood moving. And I believe that previously published Monographs can be reprinted by a licensed BRP publisher. I would love to have license and the means to do it justice. Right now that sounds like a pipe dream.

I have some experience in the field of graphic art, and know a very talented friend willing to lend a hand with illustrations. I'm just throwing this out there (not sure how realistic of a suggestion this is) but maybe a collaborative effort is in order. I would love to see BRP gain the popularity it deserves-- but in order for that to happen Chaosium has to either step up and deliver quality supplemental material or an independent publisher has to take the reins (in my humble opinion).

Here's a sample of artwork for the setting I'm working on. My friend and I might be able to provide art should a collaborative project arise.

Image of Agony column viewed from 36 miles - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

There's a third option. You can always approach Chaosium or one of its licensees with the idea (or manuscript) and see if they want to publish it as a proper supplement.

I have yet to see this as an option in Chaosium's submission guidelines but would love to learn more. I was given the impression that if a writer proves him/herself to them with a Monograph potential doors could open.

"If you want your children to be intelligent, read them fairy tales. If you want them to be more intelligent, read them more fairy tales."

"When I examine myself and my methods of thought, I come to the conclusion that the gift of fantasy has meant more to me than any talent for abstract, positive thinking."

~Albert Einstein~