Same Round Death is Harsh!

Narl

On 6/10/2018 at 11:26 AM, soltakss said:

And because Initiates no longer have just one-use Rune Magic, it is easy for any cultists to cast. It makes Heal reserved for those occasions where everyone is out of Rune Points, though, or for those few Adventurers who don't belong to a cult.

Oh. So anybody who is a member of any cult(which in Glorantha is practically every adult, right?) can cast it. That's a huge increase in healing magic. 

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

3 hours ago, styopa said:

Or, have a Chalana Arroy person withholding action, then they can do whatever they like when someone drops.

It's kind of their raison d'etre.

And isn't Peace a common Rune spell? 

50 minutes ago, Atgxtg said:

Oh. So anybody who is a member of any cult(which in Glorantha is practically every adult, right?) can cast it. That's a huge increase in healing magic. 

With a few exceptions, yes. Eurmal doesn't get all common divine magic, for example.

1 minute ago, Atgxtg said:

And isn't Peace a common Rune spell? 

No. Only High Priestesses of Ernalda can get it.

Edited by PhilHibbs

34 minutes ago, PhilHibbs said:

With a few exceptions, yes. Eurmal doesn't get all common divine magic, for example.

Okay, so Heal Body is going to be something pretty much everybody can cast. 

34 minutes ago, PhilHibbs said:

Phew! That's a relief. If everybody had access to Peace, I could imagine how much more Peaceful adventuring would become. 

2 hours ago, PhilHibbs said:

Eiritha, actually.

1 hour ago, PhilHibbs said:

Oh, and another IMPORTANT point is that you have to roll on your Earth, Fertility, or Harmony rune to cast Heal Wound. Not everyone will have decent numbers that they can call on.

Not really that important; if you fail to cast it, you don't lose the rune point, you can just try again next round.  I mean unless you're totally going the wrong direction, you'll have at least 50%.

1 minute ago, styopa said:

Eiritha, actually.

Not really that important; if you fail to cast it, you don't lose the rune point, you can just try again next round.  I mean unless you're totally going the wrong direction, you'll have at least 50%.

This whole thread is about people being dead before you get the chance to do time-consuming actions.

• Haha 1

Thanks for the clarification. So if I'm up to speed, the (alleged) problem is that anybody and everybody could save a dying ally if only they'd get the chance to cast a spell before the end of the round, when the aforementioned ally shuffles off the mundane world, and that (apparently) there is no way to change you action after declarations in RQG, thereby (supposedly)making the whole point of living until the end of the round somewhat moot, except for booking purposes ? 

I'm sorry, I just watched the Parrot Sketch last night and I'm getting visions of a RQG version..."This is an ex-Rune Lord." 

Last time I GMed RQ (a couple of years ago) I had a intricate damage/health system - have always loathed hitpoints, but now I think I just go with : if anyone go below zero hp as a result of a Crit or Special it is instant death, otherwise it is unconcious and (IRLish bleeding out perhaps, needs treatment after combat to not die). 

I gives a bit of edge to those rolls and still keeps people around for Ransoms and such stuff.

13 hours ago, Hteph said:

Last time I GMed RQ (a couple of years ago) I had a intricate damage/health system - have always loathed hitpoints, but now I think I just go with : if anyone go below zero hp as a result of a Crit or Special it is instant death, otherwise it is unconcious and (IRLish bleeding out perhaps, needs treatment after combat to not die). 

I gives a bit of edge to those rolls and still keeps people around for Ransoms and such stuff.

I always liked the system in Harn.  IIRC, it's basically a roll(+ something per damage taken) vs your CON each time you're hurt.

Rather than a clearly finite system of hp it was wonderfully non-deterministic.  Every wound was dangerous and to be avoided, but you could also be amazingly tough...you just couldn't RELY on surviving anything.

Yeah, HARN did it nicely. It factored in weapon type, hit location, how well you hit, and all but got it all on one page and kept it simple.  HARN was so much like RQ and yet different. 

Just spotted this:

Rune magic spells always take effect at strike rank 1. If more than 1 magic point is used to boost a Rune magic spell, or otherwise increase its effects, 1 strike rank is added for each additional magical point after the first. 

Does this apply to Heal Wound? If so, healing more than 1 HP will take some SR. If someone is dying, that would constrain how much healing you could get in. It is unclear what the rule is for casting Rune Magic part way through a round, should the 5 SR to prepare apply? The paragraph seems to mostly be talking about spirit and sorcery.

• Thanks 1