Anthropologist occupation

Aldaron

Hi folks. I think I'm going blind or something - I've seen a number of characters created with an "Anthropologist" occupation (including one of the pre-gens for MoN), but I can't for the life of me find the occupation in any of the canon material; not the Investigator's book, nor Dhole's House character generator, nor the Hero Lab 7th edition generator. 

What am I missing? Help me Obi-Wan Kenobi, you're my only hope! 

:) Thanks in advance!

There is a history in the game of published material including whatever occupation name the author wants using whatever skills they felt were warranted. This is in the spirit of Call of Cthulhu.  Note the text in the "Sample Occupations" section of page 40 of the 7th Keeper's Book: "Use these as a guide when creating occupations not listed here."

I realize that there are a lot of role-players out there that are "by-the-bookers."  I personally find that everyone's experience is better when you let players be as creative as possible (with permission about specific requests from Keeper).

On ‎6‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 5:42 AM, Aldaron said:

I've seen a number of characters created with an "Anthropologist" occupation (including one of the pre-gens for MoN), but I can't for the life of me find the occupation in any of the canon material; not the Investigator's book, nor Dhole's House character generator, nor the Hero Lab 7th edition generator. 

What am I missing? Help me Obi-Wan Kenobi, you're my only hope! 

The typical occupations for an Anthropologist would be:  Professor or Researcher with a primary specialty in Anthropology.  The former would have a more academic focus, the latter a field-research focus.  You could also use Author for someone who's focused on turning their studies into best-selling works, or Explorer if they are bent on tracking down unusual and remote cultures.

On 6/21/2018 at 3:15 AM, KeeperXav said:

It's called Scientist. Depending on how you specialize, you can easily change the name. Chemist, botanist, physicist, zoologist...They are all scientists.

Actually, different feilds of science can be studied in quite different ways - and consequently the skill sets are quite different. If you study Physics, for example, much of the research is based on calculus, whereas in Biology you tend to rely on statistics. I've seen Physics teachers all at sea when analysing biological data and vice versa. 

In the case of an Anthropologist, which is a good profession for a CoC character, I would suggest that they would be well read in History and Religion, with plenty of Library Use and Language skills. The scientific angle would be through Psychology, mainly, although they could have a smattering of other disciplines in there. From the standard CoC Professions, a Professor is obvious, but maybe an Author would work too.