About Cults (RuneQuest Roleplaying in Glorantha)

Pheres

Hello,

I have read carefully the cults part in RuneQuest Roleplaying in Glorantha book, and have noticed the following things:

About Shamans, it's says that some cults don't allow their member to become shaman, but i have found nothing in the book that can says wich cult allow them or not.

For exemple, Yinkin cult is an ancestor worshipping cult (cf Daka Fal associated cult part, p291) and associated with Daka Fal cult (see Cult Compatibility table), but nothing is written in the Yinkin cult part about some shaman relationship. (Yinkin cult is a fellow ancestor workshipping cult, and is also a beast cult, so for me, Yinkin cult should allow is member to become shamans, but i am not sure that everyone is thinking the same way)

Note: Daka Fall is an associated cult of Yinkin, but is not listed in the Associated cults of Yinkin part (p 310).

An other question: why some cults have Rune Lord or Priests and some other not? Will this be detailed more in the future books about cults?

Thanks

Edited by Pheres
mistake

Your main question, I'll let someone else answer, since I am not entirely sure on how things work in RQ regarding this stuff.

As for your second one -  Rune Lords and Rune Priests are game abstractions that RuneQuest uses. Cults and temples in the setting do not have such clean delineation between their various members. In HeroQuest: Glorantha the term is Devotee, and that would encompass both of these roles. As to why some cults have one or not the other? Simple answer is - because they just do. Some cults simply put do not have roles for a priest or a rune lord.

On 6/27/2018 at 5:21 AM, Jenx said:

Your main question, I'll let someone else answer, since I am not entirely sure on how things work in RQ regarding this stuff.

As for your second one -  Rune Lords and Rune Priests are game abstractions that RuneQuest uses. Cults and temples in the setting do not have such clean delineation between their various members. In HeroQuest: Glorantha the term is Devotee, and that would encompass both of these roles. As to why some cults have one or not the other? Simple answer is - because they just do. Some cults simply put do not have roles for a priest or a rune lord.

Actually I do think that the two roles are distinct positions in most cults. HQ:G's version of Glorantha is a bit different than how Runequest presents it, so while you just have the single role of "devotee" in Heroquest, Runequest says that there's a distriction between the people who lead worship and perform rituals and the people who go out and act out the part of their god on a daily basis.

On 6/27/2018 at 9:06 AM, Pheres said:

About Shamans, it's says that some cults don't allow their member to become shaman, but i have found nothing in the book that can says wich cult allow them or not.

The cults with a section on Shaman Membership in their description in the Rune Cults chapter allow it, those without that section don't.

Also it's not so much allowing it, as it is having a tradition and pathway in the teachings and rituals of the cult enabling a member to become a Shaman. The Yinkin cult is primarily theist and doesn't have a path to shamanhood in it's magical practices, at least as it exists in Dragon Pass.

Edited by simonh

Check out the Runequest Glorantha Wiki for RQ links and resources. Any updates or contributions welcome!

3 hours ago, Richard S. said:

Actually I do think that the two roles are distinct positions in most cults. HQ:G's version of Glorantha is a bit different than how Runequest presents it, so while you just have the single role of "devotee" in Heroquest, Runequest says that there's a distriction between the people who lead worship and perform rituals and the people who go out and act out the part of their god on a daily basis.

I think maybe I didn't express myself all that clearly, sorry. What I mean is that some cults just..don't have Rune Lords for example (I am not sure if there are ones without Rune Priests though, but I wouldn't be surprised if one shows up).

19 minutes ago, Jenx said:

I think maybe I didn't express myself all that clearly, sorry. What I mean is that some cults just..don't have Rune Lords for example (I am not sure if there are ones without Rune Priests though, but I wouldn't be surprised if one shows up).

Ah, okay. And at least Humakt doesn't have either god-talkers or priests.

On ‎6‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 4:06 AM, Pheres said:

why some cults have Rune Lord or Priests and some other not? Will this be detailed more in the future books about cults?

Short answer is Yes, it will be more detailed in the Gods of Glorantha book that Jeff has referenced elsewhere.

As for Rune Lords vs. Rune Priests, it depends on the nature of the cult.  Most will just have priests.  Some martial cults would primarily have Rune Lords.  A few will have both.

On 6/27/2018 at 10:06 AM, Pheres said:

An other question: why some cults have Rune Lord or Priests and some other not? Will this be detailed more in the future books about cults?

Most cults have priests, some very martial ones have Rune Lords instead and a few very important ones have both.