Chaosium to publish second edition of Harlem Unbound

MOB

Chaosium will publish a second, updated edition of the critically acclaimed Harlem Unbound, it was announced at Gen Con today. Harlem Unbound is the creation of African-American game designer Chris Spivey. The first edition was published to critical acclaim by Spivey's indie studio Darker Hue Studios. Spivey's first release, Harlem Unbound won three Gold awards at the 2018 ENies Awards.

The new edition of Harlem Unbound will feature additional scenarios, new maps and new art.

38478683_934413536766852_4220356288070025216_n.jpg.1801122443c79547e0af4bf07d076d06.jpg

• Like 2

I did see this title and put it on my 'wish list' (I've got a few things on that!), but I'll probably hold back now till the 2nd edition, knowing Chaosium's high production standards, these days. 

If anybody wishes to tell me why this product is fantastic  - and thus serve to sell me it - then please, be my guest!

I'm a bit taken aback by the notion of new art because to me the artistic cohesion (which looks, to me, to be in the style of Aaron Douglas) and excellent use of three color layout is one of the high points. 

What really makes the book is the writing. It's vibrant and brings the vibe of the city to life. This is the jazz age? Well, you feel the jazz.

There's an attention to the little details of life that make it feel more human and immediate than most of the "city books" I've seen for games. "Where do the locals go?" is a cliche about tourist guides, but this strikes me much more as a local inside view where most RPG city guides come across like tourist guides. It also occurred to me that because racism creates very real barriers to the neighborhood, it provides a far more easily manageable size location while at the same time, being part of one of the larges cities on the planet.

• Like 2

On 8/13/2018 at 2:31 PM, TheHistorian said:

Why a new edition of something this recent?

With Chris Spivey taking charge of the new Chaosium sci-fi setting they might as well move a new print run in-house. But whatever the reason I can't wait. I got a chance to play at Gen Con and it was absolutely stellar. I'll happily rebuy it if it comes with new adventures and more art.