Sorcery spells, Overcoming target

Marc

I hadn't really paid a lot of attention to the Sorcery rules at first, because I didn't think I would need them right away. Now, however, I have a player that wants to run a Sorcerer, so I've taken a close look, and have a question( actually, I suspect I'll have many questions 😁). I saw in several spell descriptions references to ivercoming a targets magic points.  I thought in RQG spell were resisted with POW, not magic points. Are Sorcery spells handled differently?

Marc

3 hours ago, Yelm's Light said:

Doesn't matter that much anyway, you can always HR it that way as I did in my primarily RQ2 game.

Yet, if things were just wholesale cut'n'pasted without even the modicum of processing/editing to catch such an error, one would have to naturally wonder how much deeper thought was given to the impact of that same c'n'p text on the (some subtle, some not-so-subtle) rules variations present in the RQG rules from say, RQ3.

• Like 2

On 8/16/2018 at 12:53 PM, Marc said:

I hadn't really paid a lot of attention to the Sorcery rules at first, because I didn't think I would need them right away. Now, however, I have a player that wants to run a Sorcerer, so I've taken a close look, and have a question( actually, I suspect I'll have many questions 😁). I saw in several spell descriptions references to ivercoming a targets magic points.  I thought in RQG spell were resisted with POW, not magic points. Are Sorcery spells handled differently?

Marc

I would say that where the spell differs from RAW, the spell wins.  So if the spell states mps, then it's mps.  If elsewhere the rules say POW, then if not stated otherwise, it's POW.

I started to think that the difference might be that POW v POW was for "Resistance rolls", where the target is the active roller, but p256 put me right on that. I think the Castback spell (p392) provides evidence that it's a copypasta error from before they decided to make resistance rolls by living beings Pow v Pow.

Castback
4 Points
Ranged, Passive, Temporal
If an offensive spell fails to overcome the magic points of the target of the Castback spell and...[not relevant so snipped]

Generic offensive spells have to overcome the POW of the target in the rest of the book. I don't believe that a second resistance roll pitching [an unknown value] against the MP of the target would be mandated by the target of, say, a Disruption spell, also benefiting from being under the effects of a Castback.

Dominate (p394) says:

If the target fails to resist the strength of the Dominate
spell with their POW...

(my emphasis)

After a  very fast read through all the spells (again), I only find Tap Body (p400) referring to 

The sorcerer must overcome the magic points of the victim...

For me, the defining factor of (most) Sorcery spells that the target gets a resistance roll against is that the value used to determine the offensive strength for resistance purposes is the strength of the spell, and one of the two references to resistance (by a living being) being based on MP isn't even necessarily referring to a Sorcery spell, suggests that Tap might well be resisted by POW, and it might even be the strength of the spell that's compared to the target's POW, though 'The sorceror must overcome...' could easily be specifically their POW.

Did anyone see whether this was mentioned in the big errata thread?

7 hours ago, womble said:

.... Did anyone see whether this was mentioned in the big errata thread?

Has anyone grabbed a very-recent D/L of the rules, to see if this issue has been revised?

C'es ne pas un .sig