Sorcery Create (illusion) spells

PhilHibbs

How does a sorcerer make a multi-sensory illusion? Do you just cast the separate spells one after the other?

How about Create Hallucination, do you just cast the one spell and split the Strength between the various senses?

If so, lets say I wanted to replicate my favourite Trickster use, and create an illusory pole that I can climb up and be out of reach. Would I go by the Create Sensation spell, figure out the SIZ of the pole, then add a point of Image to make it visible (translucent is ok, so long as I can see it)? That's expensive, the pole is probably going to have to have the same SIZ as the person climbing it, so 10-15 points of STR. Not really practical, which is a shame. Especially in a hurry! Could still be used to create an illusion of a plank across a gap.

Edited by PhilHibbs

Create Hallucination only effects the target, so they'd believe you ran up a pole, but no-one else. 

Create Sensation would work, but why bother make it visible - the point is that it's there for you to climb - also I think you are over estimating the necessary STR but I've nothing to base that on... but you are still looking at 2-4 rounds to cast

30 minutes ago, PhilHibbs said:

No, you cast it on yourself, then the pole is real to you and you can climb it.

That's correct. Create hallucination is a self-tricking illusion, it's INCREDIBLY powerful.  The other illusions will never impact the caster, who could likely see them like a hologram but not be convinced.

1 hour ago, styopa said:

That's correct. Create hallucination is a self-tricking illusion, it's INCREDIBLY powerful.  The other illusions will never impact the caster, who could likely see them like a hologram but not be convinced.

Other illusions affect the caster, they are just as real for everyone.

The advantage of the Hallucinate spell was that you got 10 points of illusion for the price of 1. The Sorcery version is very different - you don't need to master the additional runes, which is huge; you save 1 MP for not needing an extra rune, and you can get all the effects with a single spell.

One thing that would be cool but is not possible is to hallucinate an invisible sword that is only real for a target enemy, and kill them with it. It isn't real for you, so you can't wield it! You can create an invisible anvil and drop it on them, though that's a lot of SIZ. That would make a great trap inscription.

Edited by PhilHibbs

14 hours ago, PhilHibbs said:

That's expensive, the pole is probably going to have to have the same SIZ as the person climbing it, so 10-15 points of STR. Not really practical, which is a shame. Especially in a hurry! Could still be used to create an illusion of a plank across a gap.

I there’s something above for it to be attached to, an illusory rope might work.Or for extra daring do, and illusory tightrope.

Edited by simonh

Check out the Runequest Glorantha Wiki for RQ links and resources. Any updates or contributions welcome!

15 hours ago, PhilHibbs said:

Other illusions affect the caster, they are just as real for everyone.

Is that your ruling, or in the rules m

Divine illusions ARE tangible, if temporary things.  But otherwise, it seems odd that illusions which are by their nature "trickery," would affect the caster.

14 minutes ago, styopa said:

Divine illusions ARE tangible, if temporary things.  But otherwise, it seems odd that illusions which are by their nature "trickery," would affect the caster.

If course they would affect the caster, otherwise how would the caster know where they were or what they were doing? The difference being, the Caster knows they are illusions and other people don't.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

23 minutes ago, styopa said:

Divine illusions ARE tangible, if temporary things. But otherwise, it seems odd that illusions which are by their nature "trickery," would affect the caster.

Well, they can't be "disbelieved", that is explicit. Illusions have always been temporary reality. That's always been how Gloranthan illusions have worked.

p393:

When a sorcerer creates an illusion, they are fabricating
a temporary reality. Though the Pierce Veil, Soul Sight, and
Second Sight spells can detect the illusion for what it is, the
illusion will remain in effect nonetheless.
An illusion cannot simply be disbelieved.

Edited by PhilHibbs

49 minutes ago, PhilHibbs said:

Well, they can't be "disbelieved", that is explicit. Illusions have always been temporary reality. That's always been how Gloranthan illusions have worked.

So, an Eurmali who creates as Illusionary Hole to go through a wall actually creates a hole in the wall, then goes through it and then pulls the hole through itself to close it. I like that, from both a Gloranthan and toony viewpoint.

Edited by soltakss

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

56 minutes ago, soltakss said:

So, an Eurmali who creates as Illusionary Hole to go through a wall actually creates a hole in the wall, then goes through it and then pulls the hole through itself to close it. I like that, from both a Gloranthan and toony viewpoint.

You can't make a real thing disappear with an illusion. Well, not normally. The "Become" spell can make the caster smaller and lighter, but that's an example of Trickster rule-breaking. So a portable hole might be a thing, but there has to be a reason why it exists when it is impossible. I'm sure there's a myth about that somewhere.

My trickster had "Become pair of smoking boots". He once cast it when another character cast Disrupt on him. It was worth the two points of POW just for that one gag played once. Well, two gags. An hour later everyone realised he hadn't even been wearing boots.

Edited by PhilHibbs
  • Like 2