Births during Sacred Time

AutumnDawn

Hi! First time poster and newbie to Glorantha.

I've made or helped make a few different characters and my latest one has Moon as a Primary Rune. Character creation does not allow you to choose this time for a birth date. I see that the week runes for this time are not on the character sheet and figured why this was not on our list of choices. My question is this: what happens to the babies that ARE born during this time? Seems like it could be a very interesting and possibly very dark answer.

• Like 2

Sacred Time is when Voria was born (and probably Voriof), as a token of the Dawn and the return of the Sun. People born then are usually blessed, I'd think.

As to the Moon, the rebirth of the Moon as Teelo Estara (but not Her ascension into the sky) was on the 27th week of the year, on Veriday. That's Godsday, Dark Season, Disorder Week... There are other days blessed by the Moon you could choose, however. Look at Seven Mothers holy days.

Edit: Welcome to Glorantha!

Edited by jeffjerwin

8 hours ago, AutumnDawn said:

Hi! First time poster and newbie to Glorantha.

I've made or helped make a few different characters and my latest one has Moon as a Primary Rune. Character creation does not allow you to choose this time for a birth date. I see that the week runes for this time are not on the character sheet and figured why this was not on our list of choices. My question is this: what happens to the babies that ARE born during this time? Seems like it could be a very interesting and possibly very dark answer.

There was an article in Different Worlds that gave you a "Lawful feature" if you were born in Sacred Time, basically roll on the Chaos Feature Table, reroll any obvious mutations and that gives you a permanent Blessing.

Now, obviously, that took the game mechanics of the time and used a version of those to give a random Blessing. We can probably do better than that.

I think anyone born during Sacred Time has the chance of having a permanent ability. 

In Revolution d100, it would be easy, as you would just get an Innate Power, however, RQG does not have such a concept.

Sample Abilities:

• Casting a specific Common/Spirit/Battle Magic spell without spending Magic Points (Can't remember the term that RQG uses)
  • Never Tire
  • Use of a specific skill is always one level of success better than rolled
  • Special connection to a specific deity (Maybe automatic Rune Pool = POW)
  • Roll on Chaos Feature Table, ignore obvious mutations, don't sense as Chaotic
  • Gain a power of a specific animal (E.g. See in the Dark, Track by Scent, Speak to [Beast])

• Like 1

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

10 hours ago, AutumnDawn said:

Character creation does not allow you to choose this time for a birth date.

One reason I created some alternate birth date generation tables here: https://basicroleplaying.org/topic/8138-rqg-birthday-tables/

I see that the week runes for this time are not on the character sheet and figured why this was not on our list of choices. My question is this: what happens to the babies that ARE born during this time? Seems like it could be a very interesting and possibly very dark answer.

The week runes are Luck and Fate. 

The former suggests some random blessing, boon, or curse (with an elemental association if on Freezeday through Fireday, totally random on Wildday, associated with a random deity on Godsday).  Could be a blend of the random gift tables from Humakt and Yelmalio, or a random skill or rune increase, or even a random spirit or rune spell as a natural ability.

The latter something pre-ordained (much like the gift/geas concept for Humakti and Yelmalions).  The player can choose one specific blessing, but will receive 1-3 specific limitations as a result (GM select from the geas tables or the shamans taboo table), and if they break that limitation, the blessing is forever lost.

She's a Chalana Arroy cultist. I was hoping to have her born during her high Holy Week. I settled for Wildday in Earth Season.

Personally I like much more random birthdates and then see how that relates or contradicts their runes - makes for some interesting questions and storylines about why they are different.  The entire second week of Sacred Time is holy to Chalana Arroy.  It also represents the time when Chalana Arroy was in the Underworld on the Lightbringer's Quest.  Having a baby born to a Chalana Arroy healer during the Sacred Time strongly suggests some interaction with creatures of the Underworld during the prior Sacred Time - perhaps the result of a union with a demon, darkness entity, or even a spirit.  Or even if the mother was not a Chalana Arroy healer, it could still represent some similar union where the mother encountered an Underworld figure while the energies and magics of the Lightbringer Quest were strongly in the world.

• Like 1