Question about flight.

Sam

So could someone help with the rune spell, flight? I feel that the description could be read on two different ways.

1. With one rune point caster can fly, and carry up to 6 siz with 6 siz increase each rune point expended.

2. Each rune point allows for 6 siz, so, if you are (for example) siz 13, you would need 3 points of flight to get off the ground.

Example 2 then begs the question, what about enc that the character is wearing? That counts as well, right?

Thanks in advance

Edited by Sam
said enc instead of size.
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Sam said:

So could someone help with the rune spell, flight? I feel that the description could be read on two different ways.

1. With one rune point caster can fly, and carry up to 6 enc, with 6 enc increase each rune point expended.

2. Each rune point allows for 6 enc, so, if you are (for example) siz 13, you would need 3 points of flight to get off the ground.

Example 2 then begs the question, what about enc that the character is wearing? That counts as well, right?

It's 6 SIZ per point, not 6 ENC. So point 2 is correct. Generally I would not worry too much about carried equipment, but maybe SIZ 12 with lots of stuff carried might need 3 points rather than 2.

I think older versions had 3 ENC = 1 SIZ, so you could use that kind of conversion. A SIZ 13 person with 10 ENC has an effective SIZ of 16, so needs Flight 3.

If you use 5 ENC = 1 SIZ then the person still needs Flight 3, but has an effective SIZ of 15.

One person carrying another just adds the 2 effective SIZ together.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

According to the chart on page 151, from SIZ 8 up to 18, each point is 5 or 6 kg. From there to 21, each point is 15kg, and then it escalates rapidly. The game deliberately doesn't give an ENC to kg conversion, but 1 to 1 sounds about right on average. That might break down if you're carrying lots of pillows or gold bars but those are edge cases.

image.png.5e5de912b0f38f844b1ee77d60ee5d93.png

Delta:

image.png.f8f6a0bf431e69c28db230b7f414e35a.png

Low end delta:

image.png.e6a309aefb0b6fe3676173593e6b4cdc.png

Edited by PhilHibbs

27 minutes ago, Russ Massey said:

As an aside, I'm pleased they changed the spell name from 'Telekinesis', which always seemed a poor fit for Glorantha. I wonder why 'Teleportation' wasn't renamed as Great Leap or Larnste's Stride at the same time.

Frog Woman has the Leap spell, which is effectively a group Teleport that takes a day, It may be that Great Leap sounds like a better version of that.

Orlanthi Teleport comes from Mastakos, not Larnste, maybe Far Step or Far Stride might work.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

1 hour ago, PhilHibbs said:

According to the chart on page 151, from SIZ 8 up to 18, each point is 5 or 6 kg. From there to 21, each point is 15kg, and then it escalates rapidly. The game deliberately doesn't give an ENC to kg conversion, but 1 to 1 sounds about right on average. That might break down if you're carrying lots of pillows or gold bars but those are edge cases.

Do we know if this is the same table from RQ3? Is SIZ 8 50kg, SIZ 16 100kg, and SIZ 24 200kg? The old one in RQ2 was based around a 3D6 SIZ, so this is probably something different. I'm just wondering about the progression.

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

2 hours ago, soltakss said:

Frog Woman has the Leap spell, which is effectively a group Teleport that takes a day, It may be that Great Leap sounds like a better version of that.

Orlanthi Teleport comes from Mastakos, not Larnste, maybe Far Step or Far Stride might work.

I'd forgotten about Frog Woman. Was that from an old issue of Drastic Resolutions?

I suppose the name might be kept as Teleport if it was a rune spell available to other non-Orlanthi cultures. Each culture could have a different, more myth-specific name for the same effect. Given the Mastakos/chariot link I thought it odd in Heroquest that all the references were to things like Sunset Leap. But I'm derailing the original subject here.

When Flght is in use (whetehr 2 or 3 or 4 points, depending on the SIZ/ENC issues), how would you deal with players wanting to use Flight in combat? It seems to me that if the Air or Movement rune is being used as a flight skill level then this should also be the limit for combat skills used while flying, in the same way that riding skill limits mounted attacks.

3 hours ago, Russ Massey said:

I'd forgotten about Frog Woman. Was that from an old issue of Drastic Resolutions?

Borderlands and Cults Compendium.

3 hours ago, Russ Massey said:

When Flght is in use (whetehr 2 or 3 or 4 points, depending on the SIZ/ENC issues), how would you deal with players wanting to use Flight in combat? It seems to me that if the Air or Movement rune is being used as a flight skill level then this should also be the limit for combat skills used while flying, in the same way that riding skill limits mounted attacks.

Yes, that's how I'd do it. Flight itself makes you quite fast, but I'd say it isn't very easy to move around, unless you had the Air or Movement Rune. I'd link this to the Runic ability, so people with a low score cannot do many things, whereas people with very high scores can whizz about as though moving normally.