BRP Monograph: The Merchant's Scale

Trifletraxor

The Merchant’s Scale:

The Islands of the Crescent Moon rest upon the rim of an enormous underwater volcanic cone—a ring-shaped tropical archipelago of Infernal origin. The water sheltered within covers a vast abyssal crater of unknown depths. It is believed among sailors that ships sinking here do not stop their descent until they have reached Hell itself. The ancient and decadent city-state of Sepherin is located on one of the largest islands in this archipelago. For a price, anything can be found within its walls, any desire satisfied no matter how bizarre or extreme. Vine-shrouded serpentine statuary looms in the jungles beyond Sepherin’s walls, the remnants of a fallen civilization, forgotten before Sepherin was raised. The savages who live in the jungles tell a legend of an ancient, powerful race of reptilian beings capable of taking human form—the chothlahsah. Some believe that these creatures still walk among mankind.

The author is Steve Devaney AKA LivingTriskeleon the forum. ETA: April ‘09

Edited by Trifletraxor

Ef plest master, this mighty fine grub!
b1.gif 116/420. High Priest.

Now this looks interesting. I would like to hear more.

I am also really interested in who is doing the art.

I wrote all this junk and accept full credit or blame:

Mortal Coils:

http://index.rpg.net/display-entry.phtml?mainid=1216

Out of the Vault: http://index.rpg.net/display-entry.phtml?mainid=395

The Primal State:

http://www.sjgames.com/pyramid/sample.html?id=7056

Ashes, to Ashes (& soon, Dust to Dust):

http://www.rpg.net/reviews/archive/14/14290.phtml

Lost in the Lights (coming soon):

http://yog-sothoth.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=17334

Thanks for the interest!

Can you tell us something about what you will include in this setting LivingTriskele?

There are two setting-chapters--the first describes the archipelago's history and various islands, and provides a few areas of interest (outside of the scope of the main campaign). These are delineated in detail to be used for additional adventures, however the GM sees fit (vine-shrouded ruins, ziggurat tombs, the fetid villages of devil-worshiping savages, a city of mask-wearing mercantile medusae more interested in making a profit than turning people to stone--you know, the usual). The second setting-chapter describes the City of Sepherin in detail, with its intriguing, backstabbing oligarchy of merchant princes, and cutthroat-haunted dark alleys. I'm also including an extensive Appendix that will offer new spells, magic items, races, monsters, and professions. Originally I was going to provide a whole lot more setting material but decided against it. I just don't have the time, which is too bad, I have loads of stuff to include.

I am also really interested in who is doing the art.

Yeah, that'd be me too...

"If you want your children to be intelligent, read them fairy tales. If you want them to be more intelligent, read them more fairy tales."

"When I examine myself and my methods of thought, I come to the conclusion that the gift of fantasy has meant more to me than any talent for abstract, positive thinking."

~Albert Einstein~

There are two setting-chapters--the first describes the archipelago's history and various islands, and provides a few areas of interest (outside of the scope of the main campaign).

Main campaign you say - so there will be scenarios? :happy:

What pagecount are you aiming for?

:beetle:

Ef plest master, this mighty fine grub!
b1.gif 116/420. High Priest.

Main campaign you say - so there will be scenarios?

What pagecount are you aiming for?

Yes, it's a mini-campaign setting and a mini-campaign as well (fantasy). I guess I should have mentioned that... :) Realistically I'm expecting it to be about 120 pages. I originally intended to write more, but have found that time is difficult to come by these days...

"If you want your children to be intelligent, read them fairy tales. If you want them to be more intelligent, read them more fairy tales."

"When I examine myself and my methods of thought, I come to the conclusion that the gift of fantasy has meant more to me than any talent for abstract, positive thinking."

~Albert Einstein~

Sounds like a place the Rouge Mistress would make a port of call!

It's funny you should say that-- the campaign setting I've been working on (beyond the islands) has a bit of the old 'Michael Moorcockian' vibe it.

~Albert Einstein~

And, for me, I was going to say how nicely it would fit into my

own version of the Young Kingdoms, placing it in the western

ocean off the map, or somewhere heading east ...

All fit for my Ultimate Stormbringer stuff which I am slowing

putting together.

-V

Cool. When I'm ready I'll let you guys know about play-testing it, just in case you're interested.

~Albert Einstein~

• 2 weeks later...

Look forward to seeing it.

David

Sounds like a region to compete with Pan Tang in the Young Kingdoms.

Good Luck with this. Make sure it sees the light of day.

ST

Thanks, it's coming along-- slowly but surely... Life--she does get in the way sometimes...

~Albert Einstein~

• 1 month later...

The Merchant’s Scale:

The Islands of the Crescent Moon rest upon the rim of an enormous underwater volcanic cone—a ring-shaped tropical archipelago of Infernal origin. The water sheltered within covers a vast abyssal crater of unknown depths. It is believed among sailors that ships sinking here do not stop their descent until they have reached Hell itself. The ancient and decadent city-state of Sepherin is located on one of the largest islands in this archipelago. For a price, anything can be found within its walls, any desire satisfied no matter how bizarre or extreme. Vine-shrouded serpentine statuary looms in the jungles beyond Sepherin’s walls, the remnants of a fallen civilization, forgotten before Sepherin was raised. The savages who live in the jungles tell a legend of an ancient, powerful race of reptilian beings capable of taking human form—the chothlahsah. Some believe that these creatures still walk among mankind.

The author is Steve Devaney AKA LivingTriskeleon the forum. ETA: April ‘09

Of all the monographs being prepared this one interests me most.:happy:

http://www.basicrps.com/core/BRP_quick_start.pdf A sense of humour and an imagination go a long way in roleplaying. ;)

Thanks!

~Albert Einstein~

• 1 month later...

Hey Conrad, I just had to postpone the ETA due to graduate school obligations and parental duties... (I'm working on my thesis while daily watching our 21-month old daughter. The semester ends for me around the 2nd week of May--after that I plan to go overdrive on the module.

My intent is to ask people on this forum to play-test it-- first the setting material (which consists of a detailed description of the islands and the City of Sepherin), then the actual campaign. If your interested I'd appreciate it you were one of the play-testers. The 'islands' chapter is nearly ready to go, including 'side-adventures' and what not.

Things are very busy right now, though I will see this done. One thing I can't stand is not finishing something...

Best,

Steve

~Albert Einstein~

• 1 month later...

I'm really hoping to finish it by the end of August (before the Fall semester...). Unfortunately I'm just perpetually spread thin... But it's among the two top-priority projects for the summer!

~Albert Einstein~

• 3 months later...

Just dropping in to give an update-- I'm still working on this monograph, but with work, school, band and parental duties it's taking a lot longer than I had anticipated. I've been getting more done recently, but honestly still have no idea how long it will take to complete... I nibble at it daily though...

~Albert Einstein~

• 4 months later...

To be honest (and this may seem counter intuitive) I've postponed work on The Merchants Scale in favor of another monograph Dustin has agreed to publish first-- I haven't posted any info on this new monograph yet because I've been waiting to complete the first draft-- which I have been working diligently on (I already feel like my creditability is pretty low, considering I announced The Merchant's Scale so long ago, and it's still hanging in incompletion). The reason why I've decided to complete this second monograph first, is because it's the actual campaign setting in which The Merchant's Scale is set (as well as the setting of a novel I've been working on). In short, it's my baby. Once I get it out of the way, I know The Merchant's Scale will follow quickly on its heels.

~Albert Einstein~