2nd Age starting point...

parejf63

I love the 2nd Age, but I do not want it near the end of the age.  Some time before during the Middle Sea Empire Expansion, and the EWF response.   Both exist at this time, but I am not really sure what would be a good year to start.   Perhaps, the God Learners have  just started Myth quests?  But way before the Goddess Switch, and the Clanking City came to be..   Any suggestions?  Note, I chose the 2nd Age in MONGOOSE RUNEQUEST 1 Simply because of the detail for the setting, which I feel is the best ever done..

Edited by parejf63
  • Like 1

I guess the starting year depends a bit on how many sessions per year you are planning.

Have you decided on a culture and a setting?

You could start a bit earlier than the Mongoose timeline. Ralios just before the fall of the Autarchy could be interesting, You might even play as the heroic Loper People army that could not prevent the fall of Paslac's last bastion and which is now fighting its way to the south.

In southern Heortland, the arrival of the Zistorites at Kostern Island even before the city is started might be interesting. On the other hand, you could plunge right into the Machine Wars and play in that ten year campaign. Heortling History provides almost as many new Unity leaders as the Sartar Rising campaign provided warbands in league with Kallyr. I would avoid the skeletal creatures described in Mongoose's Clanking City book, though, and go for four meter high smaller versions of Zistor as combat vehicles.

Telling how it is excessive verbis

53 minutes ago, Joerg said:

Have you decided on a culture and a setting?

Great Ideas  Thanks.  Culture?  I leave that up to the players choice, but I generally have them play the same culture, unless they really understand the culture clashes at times.   I MAKE them read the WHO AM I write ups, that tends to help.      Setting, I am really leaning towards Dorastor....   Using the old Avalon Hill module for that one.  It gets them into the nitty gritty from the start....    However, I have still not ruled out Dragon Pass.

Seshnela/Ralios: Conflict between the Seshnegi and the Dark Empire of Arkat  The Empire eventaually takes over Seshnela before being trounced by the Jrusteli.

Dragon Pass:  The Heortlings kicking out the Arkati and setting up the Kingdom of Orlanthland.  Later this gets taken over by Dragons to become the EWF.

Peloria; Dara Happa struggles with the Empire of Gloom (in what is now Spol) while fighting internal subversion of Illuminates.

Jrustela:  Settlement of Jrustela.  Conflict with the Olodo.

Umathela:  Settlement of Umathela.  Conflict with a mysterious race of three-headed giants (Could be Hoolar0 and later elves.

Fonrit:  Conquest of the Artmali by the Fonritans.

Teleos:  Rainbow piracy.  Plunder the ocean's shores and piss of the Waertagi.

Onlaks: Locals struggle with the genocidal Elves.

Loral and Kumanku: Actual obscure places.

Eastern Isles: Vormain struggles with the people of Desolation Isle.  Mokato sets up the Eastern Seas Empire.

Kralorela:  The government has become progressively unstuck since the Sunstop.  Mysterious portends plague the land and nobody knows what's happening.  

Wastelands: Pure Horse Tribe enters Prax.  Establishment of various cities including Pavis.

Waertagi - Establishing an oceanic monopoly.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, metcalph said:

Loral and Kumanku: Actual obscure places.

No more obscure (to its contemporaries) than pre-Garangordite Thinokos or Maslo, and much less obscure than Kimos.

It is true that we have a lot less information on the Thinobutan culture of Loral. No known ruins or major cities in the Second Age. In other words: no chance to contradict any canon.

Telling how it is excessive verbis