Not just 'cut and paste'

BMonroe

I was informed today that a spell was missing from Advanced Sorcery (Create Abomination), so I'm going to add it to the errata document shortly.

As I was going through the Bronze Grimoire PDF to catch the spell, I found myself thinking about some comments I've heard that MW is just a 'cut and paste job' from Elric! and why any errors snuck through at all.

It's worth noting that the PDFs I was working from were not original files. They were all scanned from the hardcopies Chaosium originally sold, OCR'ed, and -then- I did the 'select and paste' thing.

However, due to the process of scanning, this was -never- a simple task. I thought I'd show you all what the source text for the Create Abomination spell looked like when I copied it across. Part of the problem you'll see, is that it blends together with the column next to it; there was no way to select just the text I wanted:

"CREATE ABOWI  NATION (varies) - Range is touch.

and is thm unable to determine  the number of magic pin% Chaotic. First receive a successful Luck roll, m roll m tthc

to b? drained. Castas  reduced to zem magic points la Necromantic Mishaps Table.  This spell mat= an automannsciousness.

Each waIkiogcorpsehas ID8 hit points and ton  usually cons~mcred from malerials such aq rock, slecl,

half of its original chasacteristia, including MOV.

or  dmd flesh. The My must first hc fashitmcd (rquiring

an appropriate Crab roll), and the eighr-poin~cd ?;ell ol'

CHARPROS' ETERNAL GI (varies) - Range is lChaos inscribxi somewhere on il. Each point or it*; SIX

touch.  Chaotic*' Xhis isan extremelymre spell. Casting it is demands one rnsgic poinr and one hour c~.fr itual ct~nccnlrathe

climax of  a sorcerer's life, because the caster either is tim during -[ion.

changed irrevocably, or dies From the ordeal. A succmful

casing allows  he nectomancet  to become lithe, a fcll

One point of ww is needed to animate the thing. The

aster then spends magic points fw chasacteristics and

skills, just as is done for demons, although demon abilities"

Nice, huh? Imagine going through 200 pp of that nonsense. You'll understand why, indeed, most of MW was compiled by me -retyping- almost the entire book.

Please don't contact me with Chaosium questions. I'm no longer associated with the company, and have no idea what the new management is doing.

Wow  :wacko: ! That is insane. It must have been seriously frustrating, as in I-need-a-drink-because-it-makes-more-sense-that-way frustrating. It's too bad a higher quality scan couldn't have been done and made available to you. Thanks for soldiering on despite the challenges, Ben!

Cheers!

Present home-port: home-brew BRP/OQ SRD variant; past ports-of-call: SB '81, RQIII '84, BGB '08, RQIV(Mythras) '12,  MW '15, and OQ '17

BGB BRP: 0 edition: 20/420; .pdf edition: 06/11/08; 1st edition: 06/13/08

That's what happens when you OCX documents with multiple columns and text boxes.

So, Magic World is just an OCR and Edit job from Elric, then?  ;)

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

I totally agree with Mankcam your hard work is really appreciated.

I always loved Elric and in some ways MW is better because I can still play Elric with it, as I have all the Elric books, (and Moorcock's published stories), and MW can function as a sort of rules revision. Added to that I can play in the Southern reaches in a much more generic feel RQ3/BRP type game. So it's winning all round for me. Thanks Ben!

Ive run into these same copy/paste issues with some of my posted material,especially my alchemy book. Spell check found more than half as many errors as there were words in the book. At times I thought it would be easier just to retype it all. And that's minuscule compared to MW. And then you had to carefully scrutinize every word to ensure there was no copyright material...

I also appreciate your hours of frustration and additional hours of pouring through other works to add to the spells in Sorcery chapter.

While Ive no doubt kind words are appreciated , my thanks was, I'm sure, better given by purchasing these materials. :)

Author QUASAR space opera system: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/459723/QUASAR?affiliate_id=810507

My Magic World projects page: Tooleys Underwhelming Projects

Create Abomination was only listed in the spell list tables in The Bronze Grimoire, but as far as I can see it is never fully explained outside those tables.

It was tucked away in the Necromancy chapter. I've added it to the errata document for those who need it.

• Like 1

Please don't contact me with Chaosium questions. I'm no longer associated with the company, and have no idea what the new management is doing.