INTelligence Characteristic Gain?

tooley1chris

MW lists one way to increase INT via successful resistance roll check and successful Characteristics gain roll. That's by playing Chess against a more INTelligent opponent. Seems to me Chess would be more of a skill roll than a resistance roll.

A Mage occupation in Advanced Sorcery relies on INT to gain additional spheres and Glyphs.

In an effort not to hijack another thread, I thought I'd ask here.

Anyone have any idea what might call for an INT resistance roll necessary to allow a gain roll?

Author QUASAR space opera system: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/459723/QUASAR?affiliate_id=810507

My Magic World projects page: Tooleys Underwhelming Projects

Looking around my Runequest rules says that INT doesn't change except to decrease.  Elric! and Magic World says that INT can increase naturally and permanently above 21.  Unfortunately, INT isn't one of the stats can be trained.  The only source that I can find about increasing it involves the before mentioned chess competition.  I haven't looked at the BGB yet but I suspect there are INT:INT psychic power things going on.  Will look more!

Anyone else have ideas?

70/420

I'd be tempted to allow any form of training to increase skills and characteristics, if it makes sense. Of course, it would take a good deal of time, dedication and sacrifice to increase a characteristic.

In real world, one can increase one's intelligence, concentration, problem solving skills etc by doing all sorts of mental puzzles and challenges. Even by the company one keeps (this works both ways and can make us dumb and ignorant as Troll shit if the group are bigoted ignoramuses). These methods train the neural pathways of the brain to be quicker and expand ones ability to think tangent-ally, akin to muscle memory.

One can also improves ones health by clean living (in game by becoming a monk, focused mind/body training or following a code etc). Eating fresh organic food, reducing chemicals and other pollutants, sensible exercising etc. can affect intelligence too. This increases the amount of oxygen and other good minerals in the blood stream that feeds the brain and makes thoughts and ideas clearer. Healthy body, healthy mind kind of thing.

Just my 10c

I give characteristic checks when a player rolls a critical success on a Characteriatic roll. But, I agree that this should be addressed. There should be other ways than what's in the RAW to get Characteristic increaaes. I'll mull that over.

Please don't contact me with Chaosium questions. I'm no longer associated with the company, and have no idea what the new management is doing.

Critical success on an Idea roll...that's actually pretty good.

Common enough to make such a roll (at chroniclers discretion ) and rare enough because of the critical to make it special. I like it.

Anyone see a downside to this type of house rule?

Would the critical requirement be too strict? Perhaps a Special success? Guess it depends on how many times per session the chronicler calls for idea/luck/agility /stamina/ effort/ charisma rolls...

Author QUASAR space opera system: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/459723/QUASAR?affiliate_id=810507

My Magic World projects page: Tooleys Underwhelming Projects

Guest Vile Traveller

I've never been happy with the explanation given for not allowing certain characteristics to increase. I believe it should be all or nothing. If characteristics are general where skills are specific, I prefer to rule that you can increase all characteristics.

We usually play that a critical INTxn% roll means that the characteristic can increase - in general this applies to any characteristic. We use Hero Points as Experience Points, so this costs 3 HP to attempt to increase a characteristic. The roll we use is (Species Maximum - Current Characteristic Value) x5%, where Species Maximum depends on the ruleset, but is best as Maximum Rollable + 1 per D6 +1 per every 6 or part thereof added. So, a 3D6 characteristic gives 18+3=21, 3D6+3 gives 21+3+1=25, 3D6+12 gives 30+3+2=35.

We also play that anyone who uses a characteristic a lot over a period of time can argue for a one-off increase.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

I know it's not out yet, but...

The Philosopical Engine & Expanded Allegiance from the Chronicler's Companion could be adjusted to handle INT increase, as an outgrowth of service to a force or deity. Essentialy, as a character's Allegiance hits certain thresholds, they gain one of a number of benefits, which presently includes a point of POW for purposes of creating magical items.

This could be changed to allow for a one-point increase in INT without breaking anything.

I'm working on a new round of edits/errata right now. 

I'm going to change the text on p. 53 as follows:

First paragraph after “Special Response, Exercise”. At the end of that paragraph, add the following: “These characteristics also earn an experience check when the player rolls a Critical success on an associated Characteristic roll.”

Under “Training Characteristics”, first paragraph, add “INT” to the list of Characteristics which may be trained. Then add a paragraph after the one on training APP: “Training INT is a matter of exercising one’s mind. Education, research, solving puzzles, and other such things can grant the adventurer an increase in INT.”

• Like 5

Please don't contact me with Chaosium questions. I'm no longer associated with the company, and have no idea what the new management is doing.