Conditions?

jkeown

What conditions can a character be affected by? From round to round, stuff happens to characters, and their state of play changes. Call them Conditions.

I have something that jumped in my head just now, and a PDF might result very quickly (so I can get back to drawing this evening!).

I have found:

Bleeding

Entangled

Stunned

Impaled

Prone

Wounded, Minor

Wounded, Major

Wounded, Fatal

Attacked by Acid

Choking

Drowning

In Cover

Disarmed

On Fire

Superior Position

Inferior Position

Would Falling count? How long does it take to fall 3m? A second? That's not a Condition... 30 Meters takes a bit longer, and might count as a Condition.

In cover, Superior position and Inferior Position are relative to an opponent, so I would not call them conditions. Wounded, minor, is a condition but has no effect in BRP.

Finally, Disarmed is not a condition. It's just an object that fell off your hand. And in Chuck Norris movies, it usually means that the real fight is about to start.

Proud member of the Evil CompetitionTM

In cover, Superior position and Inferior Position are relative to an opponent, so I would not call them conditions. Wounded, minor, is a condition but has no effect in BRP.

Finally, Disarmed is not a condition. It's just an object that fell off your hand.

Thanks for pointing that out. I do appreciate it.

I was thinking about sitting down to Photoshop and cranking out a set of cards that players could print and have a handy reference. Obviously, printing the game effect would be a no-no, since that's copywritten, but the words themselves would be useful markers to your fellow players, your GM and (maybe) yourself during a heated, roiling melee.

Then again, maybe just a lot of wasted cardstock. :)

What I would find more useful is a set of flashcards that the players could put up to let the GM know what their mood is, such as:

"Let's cut all this role playing crap and get on with the fights."

"I'm pretty drunk already so don't let me interact with the NPCs."

"Is anyone going to eat that last piece of pizza, 'cause it's all I can think about right now."

"Tonight, I'm reading off the number I think the dice should say."

"I'm probably not coming back next session and I won't offer an explanation."

"Look, I haven't actually been paying attention to what's going on, so don't ask me for my opinion."

"I didn't bring my character sheet tonight so I'm just winging it."

"Ok, I'm alert and this is my night to shine - bring on the plot!"

It might take some of the work out of GMing!

Thalaba

"Tell me what you found, not what you lost" Mesopotamian proverb

Obviously, printing the game effect would be a no-no, since that's copywritten

This copyright stuff is hardly endorsable. And just FYI, if the cards are well done I doubt Chaosium would object making them licensed game additions. I still have three licensed BRP supplements I can produce this year, after Rome.

Just another way to say: nice idea.

Proud member of the Evil CompetitionTM

Thanks for pointing that out. I do appreciate it.

I was thinking about sitting down to Photoshop and cranking out a set of cards that players could print and have a handy reference. Obviously, printing the game effect would be a no-no, since that's copywritten, but the words themselves would be useful markers to your fellow players, your GM and (maybe) yourself during a heated, roiling melee.

Then again, maybe just a lot of wasted cardstock. :)

I don't think it is a 'no-no' to produce game materials like that for yourself (or even for us... please share!). It's pretty much 'fair-use' and it isn't like you'd be selling them.

Somehow I doubt Chaosium would pull a Palladium on you for doing that (and I'm pretty sure I've seen stuff that does more or less what you are suggesting in the downloads already.

What I would find more useful is a set of flashcards that the players could put up to let the GM know what their mood is, such as:

"Let's cut all this role playing crap and get on with the fights."

"Ok, I'm alert and this is my night to shine - bring on the plot!"

LOL. We did something like this at a previous client. In meetings, everyone got signs that said "SOLD." We could hold them up when someone was pushing a point that we agreed with already. If you were talking & saw all those red signs around, it was hard to miss.

Of course, there was a black market in alternate signs.

I will say, the "SOLD" signs really sped up meetings.

Steve

Bathalians, the newest UberVillians!

What conditions can a character be affected by? From round to round, stuff happens to characters, and their state of play changes. Call them Conditions.

I have something that jumped in my head just now, and a PDF might result very quickly (so I can get back to drawing this evening!).

I have found:

Bleeding

Entangled

Stunned

Impaled

Prone

Wounded, Minor

Wounded, Major

Wounded, Fatal

Attacked by Acid

Choking

Drowning

In Cover

Disarmed

On Fire

Superior Position

Inferior Position

Would Falling count? How long does it take to fall 3m? A second? That's not a Condition... 30 Meters takes a bit longer, and might count as a Condition.

I would add

blinded/deafened/... (the character cannot use sight/hearing/taste/smell/touch ...)

poor light

total darkness

harsh light/loud noises/very strong odour ...

weather conditions (heavy rain,heavy snow,strong winds,too hot,too cold)

attacked by cold (same as on fire but attacked by a cold thing)

Jean