Familiars and Bound Spirits

Videopete

So quick overview of bound spirits, now the core book is kind of vague with what you can do with them, but in the GM pamflet it seems that bound spirits give you a useful companion and those bound in objects give the owner a entity to sic on someone in spirit combat or as a reserve battery of MP and additional source of spirit magic. Aside from not having a dumb horse what do you see and how do you use them.

I'm not sure what you're asking --- if you're wondering what you can actually do with a bound spirit, then I think the main answer is that you can (1) use its magic points to cast spells and (2) order it to cast its own spells or do various tasks.

Ludovic aka Lordabdul -- read and listen to  The God Learners , the Gloranthan podcast, newsletter, & blog !

If you have a Bound Spirit, bound into a familiar, you can see through the eyes of the familiar, so it makes a good spy. You can also cast spells through the familiar's eyes and we played that the Range of the spell starts with the familiar as Zero and counts from the familiar.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

The rules state that you can bond cha/3 spirits. The rules state how to bind them. Then kinda shrugs its shoulders when as far as what can I do with this cool thing.  I get it, imagination and stuff, but I dont have 6 editions, with fanzines and a experienced GM to run me throught the ropes, so the rules vagueness and assumptions are kind of annoying. The basic frame work of the game is solid. But once I start trying to get it to do the funky things its famous for it becomes difficult. Only once i read the NPC profiles in the GM Pack that the game hints that you can use bound spirits as additional MP and CHA for  learning spirit magic and then release it and command it to do cool spirit stuff. Guess what none of that is in the core book under magi, spirit magic or spirits chapter.  The only defined thing was that it states is that you get an obediant animal comanion and a thing you can command once if you dont habe the propper command spell to put it back for crystal.   This is my problem, the game hints core assumptions of the game in supplementary material, rather than say this is the basics of what you can do with it.

1 hour ago, Videopete said:

The rules state that you can bond cha/3 spirits. The rules state how to bind them. Then kinda shrugs its shoulders when as far as what can I do with this cool thing.  I get it, imagination and stuff, but I dont have 6 editions, with fanzines and a experienced GM to run me throught the ropes, so the rules vagueness and assumptions are kind of annoying. The basic frame work of the game is solid. But once I start trying to get it to do the funky things its famous for it becomes difficult. Only once i read the NPC profiles in the GM Pack that the game hints that you can use bound spirits as additional MP and CHA for  learning spirit magic and then release it and command it to do cool spirit stuff. Guess what none of that is in the core book under magi, spirit magic or spirits chapter.  The only defined thing was that it states is that you get an obediant animal comanion and a thing you can command once if you dont habe the propper command spell to put it back for crystal.   This is my problem, the game hints core assumptions of the game in supplementary material, rather than say this is the basics of what you can do with it.

The annoying reality Videopete, is the the game is only partially released. Still, what we is great and we have and have only had to  wait—oh, about half of our lives to get it. Patience and the rest will come and it will be golden , but at the moment you have only half the game.Without the GM guide and the Gods and Goddesses (GaGoG? CoG?) book, well you do not have the whole pic. soltakss, myself as well as most others of our ilk had no idea how to run the game properly without CoP. And that came out a couple of years after the core rules had gone trough two editions. So we are still well ahead of schedule. 

And they are promising the HQ rules soon...

Cheers

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

1 hour ago, Bill the barbarian said:

... and the Gods and Goddesses (GaGoG? CoG?) book ...

Last I heard, they had transhipped that product into the hull of a CoG. 

They still need to load some art aboard, and then the layout people will need to stow all the cargo appropriately, but the Good Ship Cults of Glorantha will soon be setting sail for a "three hour cruise."

Now we just need to figure out who @Chaosium is Gilligan...

Edited by g33k
u

C'es ne pas un .sig