RuneQuest One-shot on Roll 20

Hey, I've set up a one-shot game of RuneQuest on Roll20, and thought I'd mention it here, in case there is any interest.

I'm mainly trying to expose more people on Roll20 to RuneQuest. 

So, if there are people here that are interested in RuneQuest, but haven't been able to try it out( maybe because, like me, they live in the middle of freakin' nowhere! ),  or people that are curious about playing on a VTT, check it out.  Here's a link to the "Looking for Players" page for the game:

https://app.roll20.net/lfg/listing/188083/runequest-rig-oneshot

We'll be using the pre-gen characters from the core rules.  I'm planning on one of the scenarios from the GM Screen pack, so if you've read that, we'll have to chat before I add you to the game.

Marc

• Like 3

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Hi. I am catching up to gaming after being buried in graduate school for the past few years. How did the campaign go? Did you find Roll20.net to provide a good RuneQuest Glorantha experience? I am getting my feet wet on Roll20.net (thanks to the pandemic) and soliciting perspectives from the online community. (I asked specifically about the Roll20 character sheet from the today and was met by a surprisingly abrupt response.) Thanks ahead of time for your thoughtful replies.

Edited by FunGuyFromYuggoth

Roll D100 and let the percentiles sort them out.

I've enjoyed playing RQG on Roll20.  I've run 2 one-shots, I've got an ongoing campaign I'm running, and am playing in another.

If by abrupt response you mean negative, I don't agree.  I've found the sheet to make many things really easy.  For example, you can set it up so that in combat, one click on a button, and it rolls your chance to hit, evaluates the result, rolls damage based on a normal, special or critical success( whatever you got ), and rolls hit location.  It's not perfect, but since it was created by a volunteer, I'm not going to complain. Of course, it does require that the sheet be set up and used correctly.  I've put together a help file for the sheet.  Here's a link: 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/10xGE1V_Mkd_WCUrW5LumAm0tJS6evfgC/view?usp=sharing

I've got a Plus membership, which lets me  take advantage of Dynamic Lighting, which I think is great, if you can devote the time to set up the maps correctly.  It's not difficult, but it can be a bit tedious.  But once you do,  the players the players only see the portion of the map that has light, and is in their character tokens line of sight.

Could it be better?  Of course.  If Chaosium would officially support RQG on Roll20, like they do Call of Cthulu, I'm sure many really cool things could get built in support.  It may be that, after they see how  CoC on Roll20 works out, RQG might follow. 

Do you need it?  No, you can run a game with nothing more than Discord or Google Hangouts, or some other way for the group to communicate.  Just take a look at the Chaosium house campaign( The White Bull Campaign ) that Jeff Richards is running.  You can find the sessions on Chaosium's YouTube channel.  They stream it on Twitch, and, from what I've seen of it so far( I've watched the first 2 sessions ),  it's mostly theater of the mind.  

Would I rather run/play a face-to-face game.  Heck Yeah!   Am I likely to be able to do so( since, as I mentioned above, I live in the middle of freakin' nowhere )? Nope. 

Hope all that helped.  Let me know if you have any other questions

• Like 2

Given that you've done some work on this already, do you have Roll20 content you could share here in the D/L section?  Or if you'd rather monetize it, on Jonstown Compendiumn and/or on Roll20's own marketplace?

Thanks!

I'm not ready to GM my RQG on Roll20, but knowing about pre-available content (like the existing RQG auto-calc sheet!) puts me that much closer...

C'es ne pas un .sig

Honestly, I don't think most of what I've done is good enough that folks would pay for it.  I certainly can put the help file I created in the D/L section, but most of my maps are pretty crude.  They work, but if I'd paid for them, I'd be really annoyed.

I did a bunch of maps for GENCON (as did a whole host of truly talented artisans) and made them available on Chaosium's Discord channel. If you haven't already sign up for Cult of Chaos and volunteer to run some games, the community has made some excellent resources!

PS. I'm also planning to do VTT maps for my next JC submission. 

5 hours ago, Psullie said:

I did a bunch of maps for GENCON (as did a whole host of truly talented artisans) and made them available on Chaosium's Discord channel. If you haven't already sign up for Cult of Chaos and volunteer to run some games, the community has made some excellent resources!

PS. I'm also planning to do VTT maps for my next JC submission. 

Hmm.  I'm on the RuneQuest & Glorantha server on discord, but I'm  not seeing any maps.  Probably looking in the wrong place. 

I have signed up for Cult of Chaos, that's  when I started running one-shots on Roll20

I'll be looking for the JC stuff. 

Edited by Marc

16 minutes ago, seasparrow said:

If you ever run any more one-shots on Roll 20 for new players, I just found out about Glorantha and would love to play in a game. I'm the kind of person who needs to experience the systems in an actual game to really understand them. Thank you!

I plan on doing another one, probably September/October timeframe

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Marc said:

RuneQuest & Glorantha server on discord, but I'm  not seeing any maps

It is the 'Gen Con Chaosium GM chat server' which will get cleared in a couple of days. Perhaps it was only for GenCon GM's. If you have access I uploaded my maps to the RuneQuest Scenarios channel. Ask Todd for the details.

• 1 month later...