Orlanth Saves Sog City, a Myth of the Late Golden Age

dumuzid

Discussion in the Women in Glorantha thread reminded me of something I wrote for my first RuneQuest campaign a few years ago.  I honestly don't remember what it was in-game that prompted me to write it, but I recall quite well the real-world situation that inspired it.  It was early autumn, and my area was caught under a mass of rainstorms with no end in sight.  The weather just settled down over the region and hunkered, pouring rain straight down.  Every declivity in the land flooded, rivers broke their banks, and though I honestly like a rainstorm conditions really did start to wear on me as they stretched on and on.  I was playing an Orlanthi shaman in RQ:G at the time, and the real-world conditions got me thinking about what a 'bad storm,' in the evil, wicked or false sense of the term, might mean to an Orlanthi.  I also simply like Shargash (whom I call by the proper Theyalan name, Jagrekriand, in the text), and the Waertagi, and wanted to write a story where Orlanth interacts with both.  Finally, I wanted to explore a part of Ernalda's life that is rarely touched upon in detail by Orlanthi myth, her time at Yelm's court as one of his underappreciated concubines.

The format of the myth itself and its prefacing text are based on an old write-up of the Hill of Gold that my group used earlier in the campaign.  Though originally composed for a RQ:G game, it is mechanically agnostic.  Now, without further ado,

Orlanth Saves Sog City 

[As told by the cult of Orlanth Adventurous in Boldhome]

Summary

1. Orlanth and travel companions come upon a harbor besieged by the Water Tribe.  The port’s people, the Waertagi, offer gifts if the Storm Tribe will help lift the siege, and Orlanth accepts.

2. Orlanth, his companions, and the Waertagi battle the Water Tribe, led in battle by the god Engizi, for an unspecified length of time. Neither side can vanquish the other.

3. The Emperor’s court is troubled by this disorder.  With advice from Ernalda, his concubine, the Emperor chooses to send Jagrekriand the Red God with an army to put a stop to the siege.

4. Jagrekriand’s army takes on both sides of the siege, which becomes a contest of Fire, Storm and Water.  Their violence births a plume of steam that becomes Furkoosh, the Bad Storm, which does not move but spins and grows.  The storm’s power halts the battle, and forces the Waertagi to evacuate into their dragon-ship.

5. Ernalda arranges a joint effort by the three armies, which vanquishes Furkoosh but exhausts all parties.  Peace is sworn between the Water Tribe and the Waertagi, and the dragon-ship sails free. Some Storm Tribe gods return to land, but Orlanth and some others sail east with the Waertagi.

Suggested Uses/Rewards

Can be used to sanctify alliances, build connections between Orlanthi and radically foreign peoples.

Conciliation with Fire-aligned powers.

Magical treasures, knowledge of sorcery

Great quest for seeking magical power and/or training, especially from outside home culture.

Magical travel--start the Heroquest in one location, end it ferried by the dragon-ship to somewhere else entirely.

The Story

After he was a man, but before he was a king, Orlanth journeyed to many places, always traveling outward from the house of his mother, Kero Fin.  He wandered with a band of boon companions, met many strange people, and undertook perilous adventures.

The Siege of Sog City

One day, Orlanth and his friends beheld a great city raised upon a wild, wave-tossed shore.  It spread across the lap of a bay, encircled by great stone walls, and at the bay’s mouth lay a huge ship, the size of a city itself, half-constructed.  Green-skinned people defended its walls from the onset of blue men and scaled mer, and wielded foreign sorcery against raging waves.

No friends of the Water Tribe, Orlanth and his friends descended to the city and asked the hospitality of its ruler.  She called herself the Captain of Sog City, and her green people were the Waertagi. She said they were the masters of building ships and sailing upon the sea.  They had been to every land the oceans touched, and traded for every kind of treasure and wonder. The Captain recognized mighty folk when she saw them, and offered gifts to Orlanth and his friends if they would help break the siege of Sog City by the Water Tribe.  Orlanth looked the Waertagi captain in the eye, and took her forearm in the warrior’s hand-clasp, and said he would help.

Orlanth and his brave companions bestrode the docks and walls of the city, aiding the people and smiting the invaders.  Bronze sang and thunder pealed as the young gods of the Storm Tribe and their friends in wandering dueled champions of the Water people and battled terrible scaled things drawn from the deeps.  But even defeated, the Water Tribe rolled back into their deeps and recovered, to renew the attack on the next crashing wave. On and on the tide of warriors, heroes, monsters and gods poured in from the sea, battering the Storm Tribe and Waertagi both with no end in sight.  Orlanth would not break his word to the Captain of the Waertagi, and he and his friends refused to quit the battle until it was done.

The Emperor’s Decree

This disorder at the frontier of land and sea drew the attention of the Emperor, far off in his great hall.  The birds of the sky told the Emperor’s court of all they saw, of the deeds of Orlanth and the might of the Sea, and the many august folk there murmured at such stories.  The Emperor took counsel from his advisors. Ernalda, the chaste Emperor’s concubine, suggested that what was begun at Sog City might spread. The Emperor announced that the Empire would send an army to restore the tempest-lands to order, and took further counsel from his advisors.  Ernalda suggested that of the Empire’s champions, great Lodril would bring a train of his sons and nephews, and ensnare half the Empire in this war needlessly. The Emperor announced that he would send Jagrekriand, the Red God, who spreads terror and whom no one would follow needlessly.  The Red God, said the Emperor, would end the war of Sea, Storm and Sog, and restore tranquility the coast.

The End of Sog City

Orlanth and his companions had fought in defense of Sog City through high tide and low tide.  Though the breath of the Storm Tribe threw back the waves again and again, and the sorcery of the Waertagi imposed strange dooms and brought weird miracles to the aid of the city, and though Orlanth and the Waertagi Captain held long counsels together alone on strategy and magic-planning, nothing they attempted brought a decisive end to the Water Tribe’s siege.  Orlanth’s friends and the Waertagi had fought together through so many tides that the great dragon-headed ship, under construction at the harbor edge, was finished now despite the war. Though Orlanth yearned to travel free, he was bound by both oath and friendship now to the Waertagi and their Captain, and would not leave without breaking the siege and fulfilling his pledge.

Battle nearly ceased for the first time when the red star of Jagrekriand loomed in the sky.  The Red God and his demons descended on chariots of burning gold, pulled by stallions with manes of black fire.  Their war-clubs smoked and their brazen spears sparked, their awful war-masks spread terror before them. Behind them descended the Army of the Sun, come to bring peace to the coast with their arrows and spears.  The Army of the Sun joined battle with the Defenders of Sog City and the Water Tribe both, and soon all fought in a haze of billowing steam as wind, water and fire warred. Orlanth flew to fight Jagrekriand, and the Water champion Engizi charged them both on the crest of a roaring wave.

The steam above the battle swirled together, stirred by the anger and pain of the scene below.  It gained a mind, and a will, and something named it Furkoosh, the Bad Storm. Furkoosh was the storm that would not move, but simply sat and swirled and churned, mixing everything with everything, water and air and dirt.  It battered all three armies, until they could no longer fight each other but only take cover against the storm. It trapped them all within its spinning, spreading coils. The walls of Sog City cracked, its bastions shuddered, as piece by piece the great city was mixed together with the sea and air.  Only the Waertagi’s great ship was impervious to all, and so Orlanth and his friends defended the Waertagi as they gathered all they could from their city within its hull.

The End of the Siege

Ernalda, the Emperor’s concubine, had come with the Army of the Sun to see the Siege of Sog City for herself.  Now she walked under the storm, covered by an Imperial veil, trudging forward as steady as the Earth under the gale.  She made the sign of peace before the Storm Tribe and the Waertagi, and said she was come from Jagrekriand’s army. “The Red God cannot defeat this bad storm alone,” she said.  “Neither can the Water Tribe, or the Storm Tribe, or the Waertagi. But together, maybe they can.” She said she had spoken with Engizi, and that the Water Tribe would rise with the Sun and Storm Tribes on a given signal.  Orlanth said that he would raise his own great wind to batter back Furkoosh. The moment the wind changed would be the signal to attack. Ernalda agreed that this would be a good signal, and departed.

Once the Waertagi were all aboard their dragon-ship, Orlanth and his friends gathered on its deck with the wizards and champions of the Waertagi.  Orlanth and his brothers swelled up their chests with breath and exhaled it in a great roaring burst, some shouting and some singing. They called up a gale strong enough to first check Furkoosh and halt his spin, then reverse him, spinning him backwards and sending all his storm into disorder.  Jagrekriand and his sons burst from hiding the moment the wind changed, and rode into the sky searing holes through the bad storm. The Water Tribe rose up then, mounted on a wave the size of a mountain with Engizi for its mahout. The Storm Tribe joined their own gale, lifting from the dragon-ship’s deck to batter through Furkoosh’s false clouds and storm demons. The sorcery of the Waertagi followed Orlanth and his friends, blessing the Storm Tribe and smiting the false storm Furkoosh.

The three armies vanquished the Bad Storm together, but it exhausted them.  Orlanth and his friends gathered on deck of the dragon-ship. The Sun and Water tribe gathered round, and though every army was battered and soaked, they seemed ready to renew the contest.  Then Ernalda, the Emperor’s concubine, said to Jagrekriand, “There is always another way,” and at that moment even the raging Red God was tired and sore enough to listen. The Red God bellowed, “Sog City is gone.  The ship remains. Will the Water Tribe abide it peacefully, and not raise another great mess where it puts ashore again?” And Engizi of the Water Tribe was finally weary and aching enough to say, “Yes.” The Red God shouted to Orlanth and the people aboard the dragon-ship, “And will the people of the ship and the Storm Tribe abide by the peace as well, and seek no vengeance on the sea?”  And Orlanth was tired and hurting enough to say, “Yes.” Satisfied, Jagrekriand turned his chariot to ride home, and the Army of the Sun went with him.

The Waertagi freed their dragon-ship from its moorings, and it sailed away upon a placid sea.  The Waertagi Captain had her people heap up wealth and mighty treasures from their hold to give Orlanth and his friends.  Some took things and went on their way, but Orlanth asked to sail a while with the Waertagi Captain, and see some of the places the Waertagi’s treasures came from.  Some of Orlanth’s friends though that a good idea too, and asked also to stay and sail. The Waertagi took them as crew-citizens for the voyage, but gave many gifts as well of course.  They sailed east, and returned one day, but that is another story.

Edited by dumuzid
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Presuming that this is the Sog City in Fronela (there were apparently others once), a few suggestions -

- Engizi, god of the Creek-Stream-River, seems very out of place here. The local river god is Januba, and a myth with Engizi but not Januba that is at the mouth of the Janube seems weird 

- Shargash is known in Fronela (especially in Jonatela) as Vorthan, an underworld war god. Jagrekiand is more a name for Shargash amongst an Orlanthi civilisation completely unfamiliar with him. 

- and in Fronela, they don't really a new explanation for the Bad Storm - its pretty near the centre of power of the Vadrudi, so they already are very aware of both Valind and especially Ygg, who are violent storm gods that Orlanth often fights. 

So, as a myth set at Sog City in Fronela, it would need a LOT of reworking for me. 

BUT - in the God Time, before the Great Darkness, we know there were Waertagi settlements MUCH closer, at the shores of Prax, including the one at Ex that was destroyed when the Block bounced on it. Perhaps set the myth there? 

7 hours ago, Shiningbrow said:

I like it. 

My only doubt is giving sorcery as a reward to Orlanthi. It's going against years of tradition in RQ etc to allow it within the cult (Aeolians aside)... Especially around Boldhome (But I could be wrong...)

That's fair, and a simple thing to remove from the possible rewards for play groups that want to keep a hard line on this distinction.  Lhankor Mhy's cult does have has access to sorcery as of RQ:G though, and the main power of the myth is in bringing together discordant forces, mostly foreign to each other.  I thought I was a fun Aeolianist option to give theists on the quest the opportunity to learn foreign magic, but as always, YGMV--and that's a good thing.

6 hours ago, davecake said:

Presuming that this is the Sog City in Fronela (there were apparently others once), a few suggestions -

- Engizi, god of the Creek-Stream-River, seems very out of place here. The local river god is Januba, and a myth with Engizi but not Januba that is at the mouth of the Janube seems weird 

- Shargash is known in Fronela (especially in Jonatela) as Vorthan, an underworld war god. Jagrekiand is more a name for Shargash amongst an Orlanthi civilisation completely unfamiliar with him. 

- and in Fronela, they don't really a new explanation for the Bad Storm - its pretty near the centre of power of the Vadrudi, so they already are very aware of both Valind and especially Ygg, who are violent storm gods that Orlanth often fights. 

So, as a myth set at Sog City in Fronela, it would need a LOT of reworking for me. 

BUT - in the God Time, before the Great Darkness, we know there were Waertagi settlements MUCH closer, at the shores of Prax, including the one at Ex that was destroyed when the Block bounced on it. Perhaps set the myth there? 

These are all good points, and I shall address them in order.

1) To clarify something that seems to underlie your other points: no, this is not the Sog City of Fronela.  This Sog City is leveled by the end of the story after all, the Waertagi all pack into their completed dragon-ship and sail east.  No, one of the things that inspired this story was learning that the Waertagi told outsiders all their shore residences were called Sog City, that there were Sog Cities scattered across the coasts of the world going back well into the God Time.  If I had to assign this story specific geography, based on God Learner maps of the Late Golden Age, I'd say the ruins of this Sog City probably lie under Valind's Glacier now, assuming they exist at all within Time.  The 'shores of Prax' are a long way from even existing at this point in the cosmic cycle--the place where the Middle Sea would be in modern Glorantha is still filled by the Spike and its surrounding landmass.

2) Engizi is no mere personified river to the Orlanthi of Dragon Pass, from whose perspective this story is told: in Heortling myth he's the Skyriver Titan, a great warlord of the Water Tribe who led their invasions of the Sky in the Lesser Darkness, until he died defeating the poisonous spear-god Korang the Slayer in Dragon Pass and his body became the mighty Creakstream.  This is before all that though, when Engizi wasn't a river at all but one of the most belligerent of Ocean's currents, growing in ambition as other Water gods wear the first rivers and bays into the shores of the Earth.

3) This story is told from the perspective of Theyalan-speaking Orlanthi; so Jagrekriand rather than Shargash, and no mention at all of Alkoth--in the myth, the Orlanthi seem to think Jagrekriand and his demons descended from his red planet in the sky, as they'd expect from a Fire god, rather than riding up out of the Underworld from beneath his city, as would be depicted by Pelorians, who know rather more than they care to about Alkoth.

4) The Orlanthi know Vadrus too; that's not what this seems to be.  The Furkoosh entity in the story isn't personified, the way Vadrus or Valind or Ygg would be in Orlanthi myth; it's more like a titanic, raging, Chaos-infected elemental than a deity, something that can only exist thanks to the disorders begun by Umath's rebellion.  Really, it's a warning against conflagrations like the Gods War and the Hero Wars.  The lesson is that when all the greatest champions of the opposing powers gather together and battle each other, the forces unleashed can take on a life of their own and threaten the ruin of everyone involved.  That Ernalda seems to recognize this while Orlanth, Engizi and Jagrekriand still only agree to peace at the end because everyone involved is so tired and battered, is part of that tragic flavor the late Golden Age has.

For clarity, a God Learner map of the age:

Image result for glorantha god learner maps

• Thanks 1

On 1/31/2020 at 9:54 PM, dumuzid said:

If I had to assign this story specific geography, based on God Learner maps of the Late Golden Age,

Well, that addresses my objections....

I'd say the ruins of this Sog City probably lie under Valind's Glacier now, assuming they exist at all within Time. 

.... but that brings all of them straight back, mostly a bit stronger. There are many more Southern options. 

The 'shores of Prax' are a long way from even existing at this point in the cosmic cycle--the place where the Middle Sea would be in modern Glorantha is still filled by the Spike and its surrounding landmass.

Well, I kind of assumed your myth was at least post-Flood, but I guess you intended it earlier? Still, Fronela or further north doesn't work for me for all the reasons I mentioned above. 

Engizi is no mere personified river to the Orlanthi of Dragon Pass,

Yes, same way Kero Fin is more than a big mountain to the Orlanthi of Dragon Pass but means nothing in Pamaltela. But what the Orlanthi of Dragon Pass think should not be the centre of a Fronelan or more Northern myth. Makes as much sense as a myth about Dragon Pass featuring Jermotius and Bisos and Yargan, 

This story is told from the perspective of Theyalan-speaking Orlanthi;

Why would they have a myth set that far away? If its not the Sog City in Fronela, just make it one that is much much closer (somewhere now underwater if you don't want to make it the Prax site) 

This story is told from the perspective of Theyalan-speaking Orlanthi; so Jagrekriand rather than Shargash, and no mention at all of Alkoth

I don't think it should be about Shargash of Alkoth - but even less they should be using a more southern name for an even more Northern version of the deity! I never suggested the Pelorian Shargash, rather the Fronelan Vorlath, who isn't understood as part of the Yelm/Emperors pantheon. 

The Orlanthi know Vadrus too; that's not what this seems to be.

Why do we need a myth to explain the idea of the Bad Storm to be constantly assailed by Bad Storms?

Just saying - the myth might work for you, but it doesn't work for me as a myth about the far North. 

1 hour ago, davecake said:

Well, that addresses my objections....

.... but that brings all of them straight back, mostly a bit stronger. There are many more Southern options. 

Well, I kind of assumed your myth was at least post-Flood, but I guess you intended it earlier? Still, Fronela or further north doesn't work for me for all the reasons I mentioned above. 

Yes, same way Kero Fin is more than a big mountain to the Orlanthi of Dragon Pass but means nothing in Pamaltela. But what the Orlanthi of Dragon Pass think should not be the centre of a Fronelan or more Northern myth. Makes as much sense as a myth about Dragon Pass featuring Jermotius and Bisos and Yargan, 

Why would they have a myth set that far away? If its not the Sog City in Fronela, just make it one that is much much closer (somewhere now underwater if you don't want to make it the Prax site) 

I don't think it should be about Shargash of Alkoth - but even less they should be using a more southern name for an even more Northern version of the deity! I never suggested the Pelorian Shargash, rather the Fronelan Vorlath, who isn't understood as part of the Yelm/Emperors pantheon. 

Why do we need a myth to explain the idea of the Bad Storm to be constantly assailed by Bad Storms?

Just saying - the myth might work for you, but it doesn't work for me as a myth about the far North. 

Okay, there seems to be some lingering confusion here.  First, I'll post a rehosted version of the God Learner map of the Late Golden Age, since my original link seems to be broken:

GL-Map2_Late_Golden_Age.jpg.d0f5d35ca5901d31bf16cfa71616de24.jpg

By far the closest ocean shoreline to Kero Fin in this era is the White Sea.  There is no Middle Sea south of Kero Fin in that era, because the Middle Sea is the void in the Block created by the destruction of the Spike, which kicks off the Greater Darkness, which is a few major cosmic movements later in the God Time.  Though if I had to assign extremely specific geography to this story, I'd say it happened a bit west of the edge of the White Sea, at what was then probably the easternmost Sog City on the north shore of the Block.  That leaves room for a fun 'Orlanth Sails to Umath's Crater' myth, as part of a wider 'Voyages of Orlanth Adventurous' myth cycle.

As for why Orlanthi would have a story set far from Kero Fin, well, this is the Late Golden Age.  In this period Orlanth is a wandering hero, an adventurer, he doesn't settle down into a stead of his own until he kills Yelm and absconds with Ernalda from the Imperial Court.  This is the time when he rambled across the world meeting strange people and doing great deeds.  This is not a story told by people currently living in the Far North about an alien god coming to their land and mucking about, it's a story told by Theyalans about Orlanth going to a far-off place they barely know, meeting strange people, befriending some and fighting others.  It is specifically, in-setting, a story sung by a Colymar warrior-shaman from Boldhome with strong Harmony affinity, who never met a Fronelan, and absolutely associates the Red Planet, Jagrekriand, with Yelm's Solar pantheon.  There are no Fronelans involved in the creation of this story, and no Fronelans involved in the action of the story.

The shoreline this story happens to take place on doesn't even matter for the themes of the myth.  It could've happened on any shore of the block in this period.  Orlanth could and did ramble as he pleased, from one end of the Block to the other, and even beyond; the Waertagi set up shop all over.  This could've happened on any coast of the Block, I did not assign a specific coast when I wrote it because those specifics simply don't matter for the story.  It's not a myth about any one place, as befits a story of Wandering Orlanth, it's about activities and relationships: travelling, fighting, making friends.  It opens with Orlanth's back to whatever's going on inland, focused on the seacoast, the city and the siege.  Whatever's specifically behind him is lost in a haze, deliberately so, to not distract the listener (or the heroquester) from the real meat of the story.

As for Furkoosh, the Bad Storm, well, the point of him isn't that he's a storm.  He, or it, is just what a zzaburi might call the natural manifestation of the forces unleashed by the combined power of three contending pantheons and the Waertagi's own sorcery, given a malignant impetus by the Chaos that began filtering into Yelm's imperial cosmos with Umath's eruption through the sky dome earlier in the Golden Age.  This isn't a myth about how Orlanth deals with a rebellious storm as such, there's plenty of stories about Vadrus and his sons to cover those themes.  It's a story about how, and whether, Orlanth can put aside his differences with former enemies, even radically foreign ones, to clean up a mess he helped create.  As told in the temple of Orlanth Adventurous at Boldhome, it's meant to be a warning: Orlanth eventually does the right thing, he works together with Engizi and Jagrekriand to defeat the chaos storm, and agrees to peace once it's vanquished, but only because he's already pretty beaten down, not because he reached any new understanding.  If he had learned the lesson Ernalda seems to be learning here, that war between the gods could lead to something worse, he might've acted differently elsewhere in the God Time.  The initiates at Boldhome listening to this tale are meant to be nodding along by the end, as the priest instructing them underlines the lesson that victory without introspection can lead to future defeats.

As always, your Glorantha can and should vary.  This is just a story I wrote for a game that ended over a year ago.  I hope all this text has dispelled some confusion though.

Edited by dumuzid

55 minutes ago, dumuzid said:

the point of him isn't that he's a storm.  He, or it, is just what a zzaburi might call the natural manifestation of the forces unleashed by the combined power of three contending pantheons and the Waertagi's own sorcery, given a malignant impetus by the Chaos that began filtering into Yelm's imperial cosmos with Umath's eruption through the sky dome earlier in the Golden Age. 

I've been passively monitoring this and your great notes on the family drama behind AA (!!) but just wanted to stick my neck into this tempting indentation. This looks pretty much like the long expression of "storm" in at least one sorcerous elemental model, or rather like an effort to bridge multiple models. Poke the interstices aggressively enough and you're going to generate a kolatic system. What distinguishes us is how we choose to interact with them. I think my question would be where the Adventurous heard the story and brought it back as a novelty to them in Boldhome.

• Like 2

singer sing me a given

One thing that keeps nagging at me from this otherwise fine myth is the enmity between the Waertagi and the Sea Tribe when all the myths and stories I have seen otherwise show the Waertagi as allies of sea forces.

The myth doesn't work for Sogolotha Mambrola in Akem because the Janube river was brought there through Waertagi sorcery, after doing the "River overcomes Volcano" myth, removing Mt. Ladaral from the map of eastern Danmalastan and placing the citadel of Brass there instead. Likewise, the Poral, Listor and Oronin rivers are Waertagi-summoned waters.

Sog is the tidal wave, the sea rushing in on land - pretty much the definition of the first rivers to plague the dry lands of Glorantha (except when they had always been there in local myths). The main difference between Sog and Oslir is that Sog retreats again, while Oslir would have gone on and on. (And did in the Flood Age.)

I wouldn't say Engizi but Lorion for the leader of the rivers. Same entity, but has yet to invade the heavens.

You might make the invading river the sea dragon slain by Waertag and repurposed as his city ship. Not recognized or recognizable as such by Orlanth and the questers on his path.

There are few known contacts between the Orlanthi and the Waertagi. As you commented correctly, the inland sea north of the Spike arrived only with the Flood. Orlanth beat back the two standing waves that covered the Rockwoods east and west of Kerofinela, and the remnants of the seas became Faralinthor - a sea notably free of Waertagi activity as it shrunk, or was slain by Vadrus, or both. Any Waertagi presence here would have to have been after the Breaking of the World, long after the reign of Yelm, and shortly before the departure on the LBQ.

Castle Blue is the one point of contact between Waertagi and Orlanthi. Apart from Bisos vs. King Blue, a story of mutual respect and even friendship.

• Like 1

Telling how it is excessive verbis