Family Histories

Shurak Fairaxe

Hi all, Novice GM here and I am going to run RQ:G for a bunch of friends and have some difficulty finding family histories for non Sartarite Characters.  I am mainly looking for Pavisites, Tarshites, Sun Domers and maybe Esrolians.  The campaign should start about 1618 and lead the players towards the liberation of Pavis.

I do have the 'Early Family Histories' accessory found in the Jonstown Archive but there is no mention of the civilisations mentioned above (except perhaps Esrolians).

Thanks a lot in advance for any help you may give.

Alex

• Like 1

Hello and welcome!

13 hours ago, Shurak Fairaxe said:

have some difficulty finding family histories for non Sartarite Characters.

What do you mean here? The Family History in the main RQG book, along with the "Early Family History" PDF from the Jonstown Compendium are both valid for anybody from around Dragon Pass... so not only Sartar but also Tarsh, Prax, Esrolia, etc (look under "Participating Homelands" for each year/event). Many of the events actually have bonuses/penalties for these different homelands.

Or do you mean you find that there's not enough events specifically tailored for these homelands, and characters end up with a shorter and less detailed family history if they're not Sartarites? If that's the case then I'm not aware of any other ready-to-use resource. I would recommend getting the Guide To Glorantha and/or Glorantha Sourcebook in PDF and searching for each year, one by one, and writing down any interesting find, in order to complement family history with more stuff on your own. I'm not sure you'd find much more than what is already in the 2 other family histories, though.

Edited by lordabdul
  • Like 1

Ludovic aka Lordabdul -- read and listen to  The God Learners , the Gloranthan podcast, newsletter, & blog !

13 hours ago, Shurak Fairaxe said:

Pavisites, Tarshites, Sun Domers and maybe Esrolians

As @lordabdul noted, both Tarshites and Esrolians are included in the family history in the RQG book.

For a 1618 start point, bump character birth back about 8 years and start their personal history in 1613.

For Sun Dome, it depends on which one you mean.  If the one in Sartar, generally use Sartarite homeland to determine which events to roll for, but remove Sartarite modifier as Sun Dome is more mercenary.  If the one in the Zola Fel valley, then look through one of the Pavis books (either for RQ2 or HQG) and identify useful events - you'll have to largely create them though.

The easiest thing for Pavisites is to use Sartar up to the personal history in 1613. Then have the Sartar character exiled, and trek off to Pavis for the start of your campaign. Otherwise, as with Praxian Sun Dome, you'll need to check on possible events.

1 minute ago, g33k said:

I believe additional family-history information is planned to some of the upcoming supplements (e.g. Robin's P&BR), but I could be mistaken...

And the JC-supplement Early Family Histories is a work in progress, also.
The autor said that he will update the PDF whenever someone comes up with new homeland histories.

So we have two opportunities in this matter: the official releases and the fanmade stuff.

Thanks guys, I appreciate the time you took to answer my query.  What I meant was that there wasn't enough juice in those histories for non Sartarites.

I'll look through the Glorantha Sourcebook maybe I can come up with something of my own perhaps as lordabdul suggested.  I will keep an eye out for any new additions to 'Early Family Histories' and other material that might be of interest.

And thanks jajagappa for the advise.

Thanks all.

Alex

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 2/3/2020 at 12:45 AM, Puckohue said:

If you do and let me know I’d be happy to add it to the Early Family History pdf.

Came up with this event for a recent game.  I've included both a Duck specific version and a general Sartar version.

1613-5: The Duck Hunt (Duck-specific version)
After Starbrow's Rebellion, the Lunar Governor Fazzur agreed to pardon all of the recent rebels except for one group, who he said were the cause of the entire trouble. These were the Durulz, or wereducks, one of the beastpeople who had been loyal to Sartar. Prince Temertain of Sartar agreed. Peace was made. A proclamation was made that any citizen who delivered the body of a durulz, dead or alive, to certain places would be relieved of one year of the heavy tribute that had been levied by the Lunars.

Homeland: Ducks

D20 Result

1-5  Fled downriver to Esrolia after Sartarite clans attacked village (use Esrolia homeland subsequently). Gain Hate (Sartarite clan).

6-8  Went into exile for 5 years in the Wastes of Prax until the Duck Hunt fervor died out (return and roll again as of 1619). Lived as bandit or thief. Gain Hate (Praxians or Pavisites or Lunars).

9-15 Withdrew into the Upland Marsh and Beast Valley, hiding out until the dangers passed.

16-17 Taken alive and sold to the Lunars as a slave. Sent to Lunar Tarsh and never heard from again. Gain Hate (Lunars).

18-19 Killed by Duck hunters for bounty. Gain Fear (Lunars) or Hate (Lunars or Sartarites).

20    Gained great notoriety killing bounty hunters. Gain Devotion (deity) and Reputation +1D4%.

Homeland: Sartar, Lunar Tarsh

Modifiers: Lunar Tarsh +5

D20 Result

1     Killed by Lunar bounty hunters while defending Ducks. Gain Honor and Devotion (deity).

2-5  Fought rival clan to protect Ducks resulting in feud and Lunar reprisals.  Gain Hate (rival clan).

6-8  Exiled by Lunar authorities for aiding Ducks. Choose (or roll 1D6): {1-3 became Bandit - use that occupation for next 1D6 years - and gain Hate (Lunar Empire); 4-5 traveled with Ducks to Nochet, gain Loyalty (Ducks); 6 fled to Pavis and made new living there, gain Loyalty (Pavis)}.

9-10 Traded information about Duck whereabouts to Lunars to ease tribute on the clan. Gain Loyalty (clan) and Fear (Lunar Empire).

11-15 Ignored the Duck Hunt and traded goods and information occasionally with passing Ducks. Gain Duck Lore +10%.

16-19 Joined the Duck Hunt to gain wealth and prestige and advantage over rival clans.  Gain Loyalty (Lunar Empire) and Hate (Ducks).

20    Gained great wealth and notoriety as a bounty hunter bringing back Ducks dead or alive. Gain 2D6 x100L, Reputation +1D4%, and a painted Duck skull as a trophy.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, jajagappa said:

Homeland: Ducks

D20 Result

1-5  Fled downriver to Esrolia after Sartarite clans attacked village (use Esrolia homeland subsequently). Gain Hate (Sartarite clan).

6-8  Went into exile for 5 years in the Wastes of Prax until the Duck Hunt fervor died out (return and roll again as of 1619). Lived as bandit or thief. Gain Hate (Praxians or Pavisites or Lunars).

9-15 Withdrew into the Upland Marsh and Beast Valley, hiding out until the dangers passed.

16-17 Taken alive and sold to the Lunars as a slave. Sent to Lunar Tarsh and never heard from again. Gain Hate (Lunars).

18-19 Killed by Duck hunters for bounty. Gain Fear (Lunars) or Hate (Lunars or Sartarites).

20    Gained great notoriety killing bounty hunters. Gain Devotion (deity) and Reputation +1D4%.

This is very cool! I'm currently working on something that includes some updated Family History tables for ducks. I only mention this so Harald doesn't think I've stolen all his stuff! I mean, I will happily steal his stuff, but not as despicably as it might appear! I really like the human tables, too.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Stew Stansfield said:

I'm currently working on something that includes some updated Family History tables for ducks. I only mention this so Harald doesn't think I've stolen all his stuff! I mean, I will happily steal his stuff, but not as despicably as it might appear! I really like the human tables, too.

You have my permission to add it to updated tables for Ducks! They need their own history!

• Like 2