Does teleportation cause blasts and wiffs of air, and other effects of magic

tnli

In your Glorantha, does someone teleporting off cause a vacuum that is soon filled by the air rushing to fill the spot, and when someone teleport on to a place, does it cause a loud bang as the air rushes away from the teleporters location?

When using a the Heal spell, does it cause a bit of light swarm around the hand of the healer?

In short, what kind of ancillary effects do you think that magic has in your Glorantha?

21 minutes ago, tnli said:

In your Glorantha, does someone teleporting off cause a vacuum that is soon filled by the air rushing to fill the spot, and when someone teleport on to a place, does it cause a loud bang as the air rushes away from the teleporters location?

When using a the Heal spell, does it cause a bit of light swarm around the hand of the healer?

In short, what kind of ancillary effects do you think that magic has in your Glorantha?

IMO it depends on the source of the spell. Orlanth's spells would never create an absence of air, that seems antithetical to his nature, and the idea of a vacuum is strongly linked to modern physics. I don't think that bronze age cultures had any such concepts.

Yelmalio heal spells might cause a glow between the palm and the wound, Ernalda's might cause the flesh to glow or weave itself together with some effect. Aldrya's healing would cause the flesh to grow into a root-like structure and knit itself together, perhaps leaving a bark-like scar. If you accept too much Aldrya healing, you start to look a little... rustic.

Edited by PhilHibbs
  • Like 3

In my Glorantha, Teleport makes the air to flow in, as it rejoices in Orlanth's power.

The visual effect of Healing is of the wound knitting itself together very quickly, then disappearing. Humakti and Waha Healing always leaves a scar of some kind.

For spells the PCs haven't seen before, I describe the effects, but don't bother after that,

• Like 1

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

My other special effects: Spirit magic has very little, although I've never observed or described it from the spirit realm.  It's tiny special effects, mostly warmth or cooling, or your voice sounding strange as you speak.

The Rulebook makes clear that in RQ:G there's an effect when you're using Rune Magic.  My Humakti has her hair darken and lengthen, her irises go black, and other such things that make her more resemble Humakt as imagined in our campaign.

Storm Voices will have gusts of air doing dramatic things to cloaks and hair.  Earth Priestesses will have the smell of petrichor and plants near to them will brighten up or bloom.  Their skin may have a green and fertile hue.  Storm Bull's breathing will follow someone who is Berserk.

You can't suppress it, and it's based on which god you're currently calling on.

• Like 2