Now out in softcover: ALONE AGAINST THE FROST & DEAD LIGHT AND OTHER DARK TURNS

MOB

Alone_Against_the_Frost_-_Front_Cover_-_700x900__20943.1582742512_500_659.jpg.d5dcad3d7542db954e3753afb3aaf6e9.jpg

Now available as 120 page softcover book! - ALONE AGAINST THE FROST.

Armed with a pencil, some roleplaying dice, and a copy of the Call of Cthulhu Rulebook or the Call of Cthulhu Starter Set, you are ready to brave the remote wilderness as one of MU’s youngest ever professors! Dare you take on the challenge? If the answer is yes, then don’t forget to wrap up warm! It can get mighty cold out there...

Originally released over 30 years ago, this new edition of ALONE AGAINST THE FROST has been completely revised and updated for Call of Cthulhu 7th edition—over 650 entries, complete with new illustrations and an afterword by the original author.

Available now direct from Chaosium, includes PDF.

https://www.chaosium.com/alone-against-the-frost

Also now available as 88 page softcover book! - DEAD LIGHT AND OTHER DARK TURNS.

Featuring two scenarios for Call of Cthulhu 7th Edition dealing with the theme of roadside adventure, along with six story seeds for the Keeper to expand and develop. In the classic Dead Light scenario, now revised, a chance encounter with a distressed young woman leads the investigators into the hideous aftermath of a crime gone terribly wrong. While in the brand-new Saturnine Chalice scenario, seeking help from a nearby homeowner after their vehicle runs out of gas traps the investigators in a house where nothing is quite what it seems.

Available now direct from Chaosium, includes PDF.

https://www.chaosium.com/dead-light-and-other-dark-turns

Dead_Light_and_Other_Dark_Turns_-_Front_Cover_-_700x900__82042.1575826661_500_659.png.9d6165cec6a4609012512baae1d401b1.png

Edited by MOB
  • Like 5

I ordered the PDF version of 'Dead Light and Other Dark Turns' weeks ago so I could read the material before the print version was available. I want to purchase the print version immediately as I plan on using it for my next gaming session in early March.

How do I get the discount coupon for purchasing the PDF first to apply to my order when checking out at Chaosium.com? I haven't received an e-mail with the coupon yet, even though the print version of Dead Light can now be ordered from your website.

Thanks

I sent a message to customer service when I got my coupon for Deadlight because it told me that I had to spend an additional 1.99 to use the coupon. So, there may be some kinks to work out with it?

Update: My issue is that I had purchased both in PDF but only wanted Deadlight in hard copy. Dustin sorted it for me, as always!

Edited by klecser
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, ColoradoCthulhu said:

What about the print version of Gateways to Terror? I want to order all three books at once.

Gateways to Terror will be released in print later next month.

21 hours ago, ColoradoCthulhu said:

How do I get the discount coupon for purchasing the PDF first to apply to my order when checking out at Chaosium.com? I haven't received an e-mail with the coupon yet, even though the print version of Dead Light can now be ordered from your website.

Check your spam and junk mail folders in case the email with the coupon ended up there. Otherwise, email Dustin at customerservice@chaosium.com and he'll be able to assist.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, MOB said:

Gateways to Terror will be released in print later next month.

Check your spam and junk mail folders in case the email with the coupon ended up there. Otherwise, email Dustin at customerservice@chaosium.com and he'll be able to assist.

Yes, I checked my spam folder and nothing was there. I then e-mailed Dustin and I am waiting for his reply. Need that Dead Light book ASAP!

Edited by ColoradoCthulhu
  • Like 1

Well, I received my hard copy of Deadlight AODT. I'm well known as a pretty staunch supporter of Chaosium, and will continue to be, but this is an example where I am disappointed. I don't say that lightly because I'm pretty forgiving and take most setbacks in stride.

The artwork in the PDF has very clear contrast, and I have no trouble discerning the characteristics of the images on the "painted" pieces of artwork. On my hard copy, all of these images are very difficult to discern detail on. It ends up looking like a jumble of dark greys melded together. The handouts and maps are ok in print.

Examples: page 17: The only reason I can make out a car on the right of the image is because of the headlights. Page 38: The woman looks like a uniform shadow with no discernible detail. Page 41: One giant mess of grey. I can tell someone is in a window in a house. I've attached some images. Note that my phone camera actually makes them look better than they look on visual inspection, IMO.

I am curious as to whether others that received their hard copies have this same problem. Perhaps I just got a bad copy.

20200229_145138.jpg

20200229_145207.jpg

20200229_145223.jpg

Edited by klecser
  • Sad 1

46 minutes ago, klecser said:

Well, I received my hard copy of Deadlight AODT. I'm well known as a pretty staunch supporter of Chaosium, and will continue to be, but this is an example where I am disappointed. I don't say that lightly because I'm pretty forgiving and take most setbacks in stride.

The artwork in the PDF has very clear contrast, and I have no trouble discerning the characteristics of the images on the "painted" pieces of artwork. On my hard copy, all of these images are very difficult to discern detail on. It ends up looking like a jumble of dark greys melded together. The handouts and maps are ok in print.

Examples: page 17: The only reason I can make out a car on the right of the image is because of the headlights. Page 38: The woman looks like a uniform shadow with no discernible detail. Page 41: One giant mess of grey. I can tell someone is in a window in a house. I've attached some images. Note that my phone camera actually makes them look better than they look on visual inspection, IMO.

I am curious as to whether others that received their hard copies have this same problem. Perhaps I just got a bad copy.

20200229_145138.jpg

20200229_145207.jpg

20200229_145223.jpg

That sucks...

• Haha 1

-Voice of the Legion

15 hours ago, klecser said:

I am curious as to whether others that received their hard copies have this same problem. Perhaps I just got a bad copy

Thanks for the heads up on this. If there's a problem with the print run I will hold off ordering for now, if other copies are OK, I'll take my chance. Given the usual quality of Chaosium products I'd guess this is an aberration, an unfortunately ironic one given one of the selling points for this version is new artwork.

40 minutes ago, Cloud64 said:

Thanks for the heads up on this. If there's a problem with the print run I will hold off ordering for now, if other copies are OK, I'll take my chance. Given the usual quality of Chaosium products I'd guess this is an aberration, an unfortunately ironic one given one of the selling points for this version is new artwork.

I really hope I have an aberration. I'm hoping others will post and say "nope, mine looks fine!"

There is only one handout that I would consider "unusable" in the back. The others are all clear.  And as mentioned before, the maps and handout images in the text all mostly look fine. I think most Keepers are going to have the PDF. However, I can imagine someone only buying a hard copy in an FLGS and getting home and not even being able to photocopy a handout that is unreadable. And then being forced to buy the PDF to run it effectively. Now, I think Chaosium would help out under those circumstances, but it is better for all if my copy is a fluke.

Edited by klecser
  • Sad 1

I received my print copy of Dead Light today and have the same issue. The images on pages 17, 38, and 41 are very dark and murky, making it difficult to tell what is pictured. Chaosium may want to look into the print copies stored at their warehouse as many or all of them may have this problem.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, ColoradoCthulhu said:

Any word on receiving a clean copy of Dead Light? I never heard back from Dustin.

We are working on getting this sorted. You will get a replacement, we just don't have the exact timing yet.

• Thanks 1

Hope that Helps,
Rick Meints - Chaosium, Inc.

On 3/1/2020 at 11:45 PM, klecser said:

I really hope I have an aberration. I'm hoping others will post and say "nope, mine looks fine!"

Please note, we had Dead Light and Other Dark Turns printed at two locations: US and Lithuania. We have isolated the problem to the US printing, copies of which were then distributed via our US and Australian fulfilment warehouses. All copies sold through our UK and EU warehouses are from the Lithuanian printing and should be fine. 

• Like 3

On 3/15/2020 at 2:52 AM, MOB said:

Please note, we had Dead Light and Other Dark Turns printed at two locations: US and Lithuania. We have isolated the problem to the US printing, copies of which were then distributed via our US and Australian fulfilment warehouses. All copies sold through our UK and EU warehouses are from the Lithuanian printing and should be fine. 

Is it ok to order it now if we are in the US?

• Like 2