Failing Rune Spells

Sumath

If a character fails to cast their Rune spell on SR1, can they try again later in the round or can they do nothing else (other than move, or react) that round? 

On p314 it says 'Casting a Rune magic spell prevents an adventurer from casting any other Rune magic, spirit magic, or sorcery spells that round'. But if an adventurer didn't manage to cast the spell, the implication would be they can still try again to do so.

I'd be interested to hear how people are handling this in their games.

I would also say no... it doesn't specify if the casting has to be successful or not, so I interpret it as both.

On 4/22/2020 at 2:22 AM, Sumath said:

or can they do nothing else (other than move, or react) that round?

Just to be clear: I believe the character can act normally (attack, defend, move, etc.). They just can't use any other magic.

• Like 1

Ludovic aka Lordabdul -- read and listen to  The God Learners , the Gloranthan podcast, newsletter, & blog !

2 hours ago, lordabdul said:

I would also say no... it doesn't specify if the casting has to be successful or not, so I interpret it as both.

Just to be clear: I believe the character can act normally (attack, defend, move, etc.). They just can't use any other magic.

If you would allow follow-on action (mundane attack move, etc) on a successful casting -- depending on SoI -- then I'd allow it (if SoI'ed) on the failed casting (but not on a fumbled casting).

If they want to change their SoI'ed action (presumably because of failed casting) then I'd add +5 SR's (plus their new action's SRs), and if over 12 then they cannot.

YGWV

• Like 2

C'es ne pas un .sig

Ah yes sorry I was thinking of the round when you cast your last spell and then charge into melee. For that turn, the SOI is indeed probably "I cast Axe Trance and attack", but if the casting fails, the player would probably go "errr hold on" and lose some SR as they do something else.

After being engaged with melee, though, yeah I think you can either cast spells and defend, or attack and defend.

Ludovic aka Lordabdul -- read and listen to  The God Learners , the Gloranthan podcast, newsletter, & blog !