Law Rune Percentage - Invisible God

10baseT

Would followers of the Invisible God have a percentage in Law Rune?

In the core rulebook page 389 the Aeolians and Malkioni worship the invisible god (Aeolians thru personifications) and in The Glorantha Sourcebook page 195 it states the owner of the Law rune is the Invisible God, so that got me thinking.

Looking in the Bestiary under chaos, i see followers of the chaos gods Malia/Bagog (broos/scorpionmen) with a % in chaos rune. Admittedly that can be because the creatures are actually chaotic creatures.

2 hours ago, 10baseT said:

Would followers of the Invisible God have a percentage in Law Rune?

Not in RQG.  (HQG on the other hand, did have the Law Rune as a distinct Rune, and you would have grimoires, aka spell books, broken out from that)

As @Richard S. notes it is the knowledge and application of the techniques of sorcery that effectively comprise the Law rune.  

If you're thinking specifically about the Aeolians and how their sorcerous practices might work, then I'd follow the concepts of Emanations from the Invisible God starting with the ability to Summon coupled with a single Rune (e.g. Air).  You'd then work up and down the chain of emanations to focus on the powers of a specific deity (or even summon/call that deity). That would likely expand your repertoire to Combine the element with another rune, probably a power, to achieve a certain manifestation of a deity's abilities (sort of replicating the ideas of Rune magic from a logical frame of reference).

Also, if you haven't seen Jeff's Facebook post on the Aeolian school of Malkionism:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/RuneQuest/permalink/1672774862898506/

Edited by jajagappa
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Akhôrahil said:

We have very little idea so far how the “non-standard” runes will even work.

Agreed. Orlanth per RQG still has the Mastery rune, but there's no real sense of what that actually means at the moment. I believe the old situation was that the current owner of a Rune got two copies of it (Orlanth has doubled Storm), source of a Rune had the Rune plus the Infinity Rune (so Umath would have Infinity and Storm, Uleria should have Infinity and Harmony I believe, Kargan Tor presumably Death and Infinity although technically that's debatable since Death didn't kill you until Eurmal stole it). For non-gods, Heroes had Mastery and Superheroes had Infinity. It isn't clear to me how this works in RQG and (since none of my players are at Hero status yet) not tremendously urgent, but it would be good to know.

10 hours ago, GAZZA said:

Agreed. Orlanth per RQG still has the Mastery rune, but there's no real sense of what that actually means at the moment... For non-gods, Heroes had Mastery and Superheroes had Infinity. It isn't clear to me how this works in RQG and (since none of my players are at Hero status yet) not tremendously urgent, but it would be good to know.

I think Mastery will be a Rune we can gain % in eventually, but primarily through HeroQuesting, as nowadays it's being interpreted more as the "Hero" rune than the "Ruler" rune, which is why Yelm is missing it while Orlanth keeps it.

Rune of Mastery, Magic and Infinity are conditions runes, they cannot be use or control by anyone in the mortal realm (in RuneQuest-Glorantha).

Rune of Magic is the rune to communicate with your source of power (Saint in the Essence plane for malkioni, Gods in Runes plane for orlanthi or Great Spirit in the Spirit plane for the shamans. It's the rune to communicate and use spell, every one have access to a tiny bit of this power but no one possess it cause you cannot communicate with alls magic planes; it's the property of all Conditions runes : You can use a tiny bit of it but never fully possess it...

Rune of Mastery is use to indicate that someone have attained a great control in one domain, usually the control over one rune. Have Rune of mastery in HeroQuest is use to estimate how strong you are; Only heroes have Mastery Rune in their main ability, simple mortal cannot equal a heroes unless using Mass scale magic with hundred or thousand of magician.

Rune of Infinity is use to state that you have attained Illumination and you are one with the Rune, you are not a simple hero, you are a Demi-god ie Super-hero ie Saint or Shaman-king. You don't control the infinity rune but can use it principle with your main rune As Orlanth is the wind thus cannot run out of wind's power.

Rune of Law is more complex because it's a bit like the rune control the source code of Glorantha... Like Acos (nickname UpHolder of the Cosmos) or Malkion (As Ordelvis / Kiona) who could control all the runes create the malkioni and as Kiona create the creatures of the Essence Planes such as the Angels. Having the Law rune Mean you can shape the world and even control or create the indestructible Adamant. Unless being a prophet or the Supreme Sorcerer ... you cannot possess or control a bit of this rune but you are still using it by using any runes or magical law.

-----------

Last but not the least : as mention 10baseT "Chaos Rune" is possess by chaotic creature but does the Rune of chaos exist ? (to me) probably not because the Rune are part of the universe and Chaos in itself is everything but not a part of the universe nor a power that can be combine with conditions runes or law rune (remember as adamant and chaos does not mix well ^^). But for the sake of simplicity and game ruling you can create a Chaos Rune or chaos percentile skills to evaluate how far your affinity with chaos is...

You could also do the same for others runes But Having affinity with

...Magic rune will mean you can call for anypower or magic in any plane.
...Mastery rune will mean you are a super-polymath with ability to do anything with Excellency
...Infinity rune will mean you have almost no limit, your magic is perpetual, your body unaffected by time, your mind without limit (calculate 8546 x 2589 will be a task of a mere second...)
...Law rune will be the ultimate overcheat, you can be an new Zzabur : Understanding all the celestial mechanic by looking at it, create new magical species like Kiona or materialising pure Adamant  in your hands.

• Like 1