Looking for monkey stats

Like the title says. I'm looking to randomly generate a bunch of monkeys.

I've found the stats for a gorilla in various editions of CoC, BRP BGB and RQ3, but nothing smaller. By "monkey" I mean something smaller than a chimp. I guess I could approximate something using a small human child but if its been published I'd rather not reinvent the wheel.

If you know of similar monkey-like stats, please point me in the right direction with the name of the supplement. Many thnaks in advance.

Adam Crossingham
Publisher & Editor-in-Chief | Sixtystone Press Limited

I don't believe they ever published any monkey stats in BRP games other than Baboons and Gorllias, however...

you can probably get good ballpark figures if you use the cube sqaure law to scale down an existing animal. What that means is:

For every three points of change SIZ, adjust STR, and probably CON by two points in the same direction.

POssibly adjust POW a little as well (bigger creatures tend to have a good POW to keep them from being easy targets for magic)

Possibly adjust DEX up if the creature gets smaller or down if it gets bigger

For example, I'll write up a Mandrill, which apparently weights between 42- and 82 pounds. I'll start with the basic Babbon stats

I'll start with RQ3 Babbon stats:

STR: 2D6 (7)

CON" 3D6 (10-11)

SIZ: 2D3 (5)

INT: 8 (fixed)

POW: 3D6 (10-11)

DEX: 3D6+6 (16-17)

Armor: 1 point

Hit Points: 8

Bite @ 40% for 1D8 damage (seems a bit high, I suspect it was supposed to be 1D8-1D4)

Skills: Scan 40%, Climb 85%, Dodge 35%

Looking at the old SIZ table, I note that 42 lbs would be SIZ 4, 82 pounds SIZ 6, and 62 pounds SIZ 5, and that this matches up exeacly with the SIZ of a Baboon (I didn't plan that, or I wouldn't have bothered with all of the above), so I look over the Babbon stats, and go "close enough" and use those.  Now if there were something about the Mandrill that suggested fine tuning the stats a little, I would.

For a better example, and not knowing to quit while I'm ahead, I'll write up a Rhesus Macaque Monkey. Apparently the average 17pounds in weight, which would be SIZ 2. Starting with the Madrill  Babbon stats above, I'll reduce the average SIZ by three points down to 1D3 (2), and take two points off of average STR , and reduce the bite down to 1D6, and leave everything else the same.  What I end up with looks like this:

STR: 2D4 (5)

CON 3D6 (10-11)

SIZ: 1D3 (2)

Hit Points: 6

Bite @ 40% for 1D6-1D4

Is that close to what you are looking for?

• Like 1

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

15 minutes ago, seneschal said:

Mr. Fuzzytail still gets 1AP even though he's been downsized?  You're more generous than my old boss.  😉  He can scan, but can he FAX afterwards?

But would your old boss throw feces at you if you took his armor away?;)

But, since you mentioned it, maybe not. When some of us were working on a bestiary, and I was deconstructing creature stats, I noticed that armor rating was usually some multiple of damage bonus (1/2 bd, bd, 1&1/2xdb, 2xbd, etc.). This actually goes back to something Sandy Peterson did in Gateway Bestiary. But there are occasion one off that just get a point or two. I did all of about 30 seconds research on the Rhesus Monkey too, and could easily be convinced to drop the armor point -- just as soon as I buy a banana, or a peanut butter cup.

Edited by Atgxtg

3 hours ago, Atgxtg said:

For a better example, and not knowing to quit while I'm ahead, I'll write up a Rhesus Macaque Monkey. Apparently the average 17pounds in weight, which would be SIZ 2. Starting with the Madrill  Babbon stats above, I'll reduce the average SIZ by three points down to 1D3 (2), and take two points off of average STR , and reduce the bite down to 1D6, and leave everything else the same.  What I end up with looks like this:

STR: 2D4 (5)

CON 3D6 (10-11)

SIZ: 1D3 (2)

Bite @ 40% for 1D6-1D4

Is that close to what you are looking for?

Pretty darn close. I was looking for something more like a caphuchin which would be smaller still. But your example is very useful, thanks.

What would the MOV be for the Rhesus Macaque Monkey?

Cheers.

Adam Crossingham
Publisher & Editor-in-Chief | Sixtystone Press Limited

I note that chimps and other Great Apes are much stronger than a same-weight human.

I don't know if that translates to other primates, but if so the STR numbers above will be dramatically too low.

C'es ne pas un .sig

1 hour ago, g33k said:

I note that chimps and other Great Apes are much stronger than a same-weight human.

Yeah, I'm seeing Chimps being about for times as strong as a human of comparable weight. Since 4x STR is about +16 STR in RQ3/BRP terms that would means that a SIZ 13 chimp would have an average STR of 26-27. Chimpanzees tend to be smaller than humans though, so the cube-square law would probably apply. If an average male Chimpanzee weights about 50kg/110lb, or SIZ 8, then it would probably only have a STR of around 23. 

That matches up pretty well with the RQ3 Gorlla, too. It would have 13 more SIZ than a human so about another 9 points of STR over the Chimpanzee, and that matches up well with the 36 in RQ3

Hey, there are Chimp state are in RQ3! Let's see SIZ 12, STR 16-17. So they are a big overweight and weak compared to real world data. But then I wouldn't have thought them to be four times as strong as a man either. Only INT 7, compared to the 8 for Baboons too. Maybe they  just sit around and watch TV all day? ;).

Yeah, 

I don't know if that translates to other primates

Me either, but we can check.

but if so the STR numbers above will be dramatically too low.

Hmm, maybe. the SIZ table is linear below SIZ 9, too. Let's crunch the numbers bit and see what we get.

If we start with our SIZ 13, STR 26.5 Chimp and scale down to a SIZ 2, that would mean a 11 point reduction in SIZ and a 7-8 point reduction in STR, for around a 19. But, since SIZ 2 is lower than 8 the progression on the SIZ table no long doubles with every 8 points, so we can covert this to a ratio by using 2^((STR-SIZ)/8) or 2^(17/8). That means it's STR would be 4.36 times it weight (17 lbs). or 74 lbs or STR 5, which is pretty close to the 5 I gave it above.  I kinda surprised it worked out so well. Powerball never does.

Edited by Atgxtg

2 hours ago, Gundamentalist said:

Pretty darn close. I was looking for something more like a caphuchin which would be smaller still.

Okay. Let's see there seem several varieties but I won't go all Holy Grail on you. Hmm, it seems that they have an average weight of around 7.5 pounds, so about SIZ 1. So probably something like:

STR: 2D3 (4)

CON 3D6 (10-11)

SIZ: 1

Bite @ 40% for 1D6-1D4

But your example is very useful, thanks.

Glad to help. 

What would the MOV be for the Rhesus Macaque Monkey?

Wow. And I was on a roll too. I have never timed one so I don't know, and google isn't being all that helpful, so I'll take a semi educated guess and say they's have about the same MOV as a human. But I'm so far out of the limb there tht only my big toe is is contact with the tree branch, so I wouldn't be surprised if I were way off. I know that Chimps are about as fast as our fastest humans and that Patas are the fastest monkey. but not much more than that.  Chimp and Gorillas are slighly slower on the ground than humans in RQ3, but that is probably not true.

Cheers.

IMpressive. I just decided to grab a beer, too.