Info on the Mislari Mountains?

Nevermet

Does anyone know of published ("canon" or otherwise) information or stories about the Mislari mountains?  I've been looking, and it seems pretty scarce.  Here's what there seems to be:

• The Guide
    • About 7,000 mountain goat Hsunchen live there.
      • The fact that some incorrectly think they are Broo make me think they have some shapechange abilities that include middle-range forms.
    • They are impassible, save for a single pass that is constantly forgotten and lost.
      • Ethilrist in his White Horse Troop days was the last person to find it.
    • Wind Children live in parts
    • Significant mountains include Selon, which was a part of the Sky Dome that fell to earth, and Ramor, that somehow is related to illumination (Perhaps that is where Palangio's Vrok is from?)
  • Bestiary
    • Unicorns live on its Northern slops
  • Other
    • In Old English, "Mislar" means "bad teaching" (literally "Mis-Lore")

And.... that's all I can find.

Is there anything else extant?  I mean, I can go wild with the mythical origin of a mountain range, but... I'd like to know what is out there first

I'm not counting this as a Manirian Scratchpad thread, as I don't have any thoughts, just questions.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Nevermet said:

Ethilrist in his White Horse Troop days was the last person to find it.

Read Ethilrist's History of the Black Horse Troop which describes the crossing.  (It's in one of the WF issues and also in the RQ2 Companion - both available).  It includes the Convergences - where Hungry Jack lives.

Otherwise... I don't recall much else.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the cites.  I really appreciate it.

....Heh.... I'm now imagining a hidden community of Caroni Goat Hsunchen who have converted to the Atroxic Church.  I'm sure my players would react in a very calm manner when they find humanoid goats talking about the holy significance of murder and betrayal...

(I know it doesn't work that way)

Edited by Nevermet
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, French Desperate WindChild said:

I have no more info but for this sentence, all "true" hunshen have this abilities (rune spells), haven't they ?

I guess?  Probably?  At sufficient levels of power?

I'm being hesitant because hsunchen aren't someone I have good recall about on the top of my head.  One question is if shapechanging is commonplace, and then another question is if shapechanging into a middle form* is commonplace.  I'm assuming the latter is less common, but I dunno.

* I'm trying very hard not to use the phrase "Crinos Form" here :)

I'm pretty sure the transformative powers of Hsunchen differs from culture ot culture. 

I don't think the Pralori or Uncolings are that prone to transform, for example. I could be wrong. 

EDIT: My personal theory is that Hsunchen who eat their totemic animals tend to not transform as much, while those who hunt along with their totemic animals do it more. This is purely my own conjecture and is probably contradicted several places. It just fits with some of my readings on how animist societies often worry about cannibalism due to imbuing animals and plants with essentially sapient qualities.

Edited by Sir_Godspeed
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Sir_Godspeed said:

EDIT: My personal theory is that Hsunchen who eat their totemic animals tend to not transform as much, while those who hunt along with their totemic animals do it more. This is purely my own conjecture and is probably contradicted several places. It just fits with some of my readings on how animist societies often worry about cannibalism due to imbuing animals and plants with essentially sapient qualities.

It could be, but, in another hand cannibalism can be seen as a source of power: you take the strength of the guy you are eating

In a third hand, cannibalism ca be used to "destroy" the food soul for ever so...

We need a LM quest to unravel what really happens when you eat your totem 😛

Secrets of Dorastor has a map if the sacred Mountains of Orlanth and you can clearly see a gap in the Mislari Mountains, a Mount Ramor. The gap also has Goat Hsunchen, so i think that this is the sacred Mountain of Ragnaglar.

image.png.466f3ec0c2b079922434f0ba73f2e041.png

image.png.012f87398eed63e4dc15b0266abbeefb.png

OrlanthMountains.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

4 minutes ago, Nevermet said:

Is all cannibalism in Glorantha chaotic / ogre?  I forget

Some.

Trolls eat their fallen without a problem. Mostali recycle corpses into canned food.

The Cannibal Cult in Prax makes them the Eaters and everyone else the Eaten and they are not Chaotic.

• Like 1

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

8 hours ago, soltakss said:

Secrets of Dorastor has a map if the sacred Mountains of Orlanth and you can clearly see a gap in the Mislari Mountains, a Mount Ramor. The gap also has Goat Hsunchen, so i think that this is the sacred Mountain of Ragnaglar.

Oh, wow...

Having the sacred Mountain of Ragnaglar overlooking Maniria would explain some things, including why the GLs thought it'd be a good place for a Trickster College (there are some steps to get to that claim, but I feel it is a plausible extension)

• Like 1