The Eternal Champion (--ish)

GothmogIV

I was playing in a campaign years ago where at some point we had been captured by Mi-Go and were basically on the table getting experimented on but we played for a few hours of real world and many hours (days?) of game time in a Mi-Go simulation, conducting our investigation, interviewing people, the whole thing. Then I got this idea roll...

The players could be running simulations in different formats in some sort of alien virtual environment. If you really want to bend minds, have then find themselves in one of the final simulations, lying in stasis, but that THAT is the simulation that they "escape" from and then can't ever be sure if they're real, androids or clones or just continuing on in an endless simulation. And you don't have to tell them shit. They're meant to be in the dark, that's the point. It's like telling them the ending of Lost before they start the show.

• Like 1

On 8/22/2020 at 4:51 PM, NickMiddleton said:

I don’t understand why people play RPGs at conventions either.

Why would I go to a Convention if not to play games?

I am not a social butterfly and it's hard enough for me to talk to people I know, so I wouldn't go to meet people.

I have been to Conventions where there were no games to play and they have been absolutely awful, at least for me. I do better at Conventions where there are so many games that I don't have any free time at all.

As someone who have GMed for years, I go to Conventions to play games instead of just running them.

• Like 1

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

3 hours ago, NickMiddleton said:

Given how important the personal dimension is to my Roleplaying I cannot imagine the circumstances in which I would do such a thing. Role playing is something I do with friends, not strangers. I can think of few things more unappealing than trying to roleplay with a group where I do not know anyone else.

I can't say as I blame you. In defense of gaming at cons I will say I met some friends at cons who I later gamed with. Still, overall I'd have to agree with your outlook here. 

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

For Cthulhu Mythos done Moorcock style, a lot of the groundwork is already there.

Most CoC books, including the latest Malleus Monstrorum tends to depict the Mythos more as advanced aliens or gods of one cosmos - this is a generalisation obviously.  And also looking at a multiverse cosmology map, for CoC / Moorcock I found the Doctor Who the most useful.

https://forums.spacebattles.com/threads/doctor-who-feats-and-source-thread.298198/

Click on the spoiler.

For the higher beings (other gods) I would be more inclined to imagine them like the Q Continuum from Star trek, take on any form, possess vast cosmic (magic powers) etc.

As to Great Old Ones & Elder gods I would look more to Secrets of the Void here to be honest. That way it has a more cosmic aspect, instead of the we're treading on the ant humans because they are in our way; it is now more a case of them sending lesser avatars when summoned which can be dealt with by humanity.

Pyrary - Perhaps it is a cousin to Cthulhu, just not such a A-Hole.

18 hours ago, soltakss said:

Why would I go to a Convention if not to play games?

You could go to listen to people from various game companies, ask questions,shop in the vendor's room, catch up with old friends who live to far away to see on a regular basis, or maybe watch anime. Yes, these days all those things can be done without going to the convention, thanks in large part to the internet, but there are still things to be said for face to face meeting.

I am not a social butterfly and it's hard enough for me to talk to people I know, so I wouldn't go to meet people.

That is probably true of a lot of pre-"RPGs are mainstream" gamers. In the old days it was nice to be able to mingle with people who shared a similar intrest and wouldn't look down upon you for liking SF, fantasy, wargames and RPGs.

I have been to Conventions where there were no games to play and they have been absolutely awful, at least for me. I do better at Conventions where there are so many games that I don't have any free time at all.

I'd tend to agree. It's always better to have choices. In my experience it was sort of both ways. On the one hand there were plenty of games to play, on the other about 90-95% of them were D&D. I'd usually go to con to play something else, but since I  gamed with the people running the con, I'd end up writing half of the non-D&D adventures and spent most of my time running rather than playing.

As someone who have GMed for years, I go to Conventions to play games instead of just running them.

Amen. I've never gotten to play RQ as when we play it I end up being the GM. 

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.