Heroquest Glorantha actual plays?

norith

20 hours ago, norith said:

I'm trying to get a sense of how Heroquest Glorantha feels and how the rules are interpreted by GMs.

I can find lots of Runequest actual play videos and podcasts but none for Heroquest. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Not podcasts or videos, but there are 6+ years of my Play-by-Post HQG game online.  You can get a reasonable feel for how I run my game with those.

This link is about 2 years into the game and gives a good sense of how I run contests:  https://rpggeek.com/thread/1564572/ic-heroquest-glorantha-colymar-campaign-2-orlmarth

Edited by jajagappa
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...
On 10/16/2020 at 11:09 PM, norith said:

I'm trying to get a sense of how Heroquest Glorantha feels and how the rules are interpreted by GMs.

I can find lots of Runequest actual play videos and podcasts but none for Heroquest. Does anyone have any suggestions?

It's on my ToDo list. Not sure when it will happen though.

• Like 1

On 10/17/2020 at 8:29 AM, BigJackBrass said:

Tékumel: Suns of the Desert uses Tékumel rather than Glorantha for the setting, but is a HeroQuest adventure run by Michael Cule (direct link to MP3). 

Enjoyed listening to this. Tékumel is another one of those overwhelming worlds that would take years to get a feel for.

Just trying to figure out a way to introduce Glorantha to players in a manner that provides them a sense of place and purpose without an info dump is quite a task in of itself.

1 hour ago, norith said:

Just trying to figure out a way to introduce Glorantha to players in a manner that provides them a sense of place and purpose without an info dump is quite a task in of itself.

You can have a look at what I did when initially starting my HQG game here: https://rpggeek.com/thread/1192660/ooc-heroquest-glorantha-colymar-campaign-2-orlmart/page/1

It's the out-of-character thread where I introduced HQG as well as Glorantha.  It was all clan based, so included some basics about the clan, community, the gods, the culture.  I included some of the Flashbacks from the SKoH book as immediate background.  

For the initial scenario, they started at a Harvest Festival and you can see the overview here: https://rpggeek.com/thread/1204787/ic-heroquest-glorantha-colymar-campaign-2-orlmarth-part1

(This was a modification of an old RQ3 scenario, the Harvest Bride, transposed to Sartar with slight modifications.  The Lunars tried to disrupt the event as they wanted to have the Harvest Queen marry a Lunar champion.  And amidst that there was a murder mystery.)

It didn't need an excessive info dump - just positioning them in the world, who their friends and foes are, and giving them a chance to get into a story.

32 minutes ago, Oracle said:

I think, that the Harvest Bride adventure, that @jajagappa mentioned, is a combination of the adventures Garhound Contest and Melisande's Hand from the RuneQuest III module Sun County - which is out of print. Therefore it is only available via ebay or similar shops.

The original version appeared in an issue of Tales of the Reaching Moon.  It was then published as the combination noted in RQ3 module Sun County.  That is out-of-print.

There was an adaptation done for Hero Wars/HeroQuest, though, with the basics of the scenario.  That can still be found in the Well of Daliath archive here: HeroQuest 1 Scenarios – The Well of Daliath (chaosium.com) under Converted Scenarios (listed as Garhound Contests from Sun County...).  And it would be usable with later iterations of HeroQuest as well (with some tweaks given changes in the system between HQ1 and HQ2/HQG). 

• Like 2