Q&A's with the new BRP author version 2.0

Trifletraxor

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey, Jason, would the Malleus Monstrorum make a good companion book for the new BRP book? Are the stats matching, so conversion is not necessary? Are there fantasy creatures such as 'normal' dragons and manticores? I am thinking about ordering that now, since I got juju at Noble Knight. Thanks.

Hey, Jason, would the Malleus Monstrorum make a good companion book for the new BRP book? Are the stats matching, so conversion is not necessary? Are there fantasy creatures such as 'normal' dragons and manticores? I am thinking about ordering that now, since I got juju at Noble Knight. Thanks.

You asked me this before in the previous thread, and here's a link to the answer:

http://basicroleplaying.com/forum/1197-post63.html

MM doesn't have much in the way of "fantasy" creatures, but you could always pick up Cthulhu Dark Ages or Elric!/Stormbringer if you'd like those.

Understood, my post was poorly worded. I was looking for a finer description of what is in the MM and how well it would go with the new book, esp. since running CoC is not my intention. I'm not into half the genres in the BRP book, and I am trying to get as good a grasp on what is and isn't there (in both books) as possible to make informed choices, that's all. Sorry if it seemed I was asking the same question twice, really I was asking for 'further clarification'. Just knowing it doesn't have standard fantasy dragons tells me what I need to know, I guess. Thanks again for your patience and the new book.

Does the new system have any mechanism to reward roleplay?

(Apart from just having a good game, that is!)

Britain has been infiltrated by soviet agents to the highest levels. They control the BBC, the main political party leaderships, NHS & local council executives, much of the police, most newspapers and the utility companies. Of course the EU is theirs, through-and-through. And they are among us - a pervasive evil, like Stasi.

Hello Jason,

As the skill categories are optional, are each skill affected to a category or does the GM that decides to use them have to do the segregation by himself?

Runequestement votre,

Kloster

\

It's made clear which skill is tied to which category, and the sample character sheet is organized that way.

:focus:

Jason, what new skills are in the BRP book?

Also, about how many skill points does an average power level character start with during generation?

How many hero points does an average power level superhero character start with during generation?

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

Jason, what new skills are in the BRP book?

I think I answered this before, but the answer went something like:

Strategy

Teach

Science and Knowledge as big skills with specialties

Also, about how many skill points does an average power level character start with during generation?

It varies by the GM's choice.

How many hero points does an average power level superhero character start with during generation?

It varies, ranging from a value equal to your POW (for a low-level Heroes-style setting where heroes might only have one power) to ridiculous godlike numbers of points.

I think I answered this before, but the answer went something like:

Strategy

Teach

Science and Knowledge as big skills with specialties

Sorry, I think you did answer it before. I think I asked it before too. :o:o

It varies by the GM's choice.

Is it just GM pick a number of points, or are there some guidelines? I'm just wonder how well CoC, SB, or RQ characters would look compared to new BRP characters.

It varies, ranging from a value equal to your POW (for a low-level Heroes-style setting where heroes might only have one power) to ridiculous godlike numbers of points.

Cool. Makes me feel better about my WoW vehicle design stuff, too. Maybe a PC with a ton of points can afford to spend 2,500 hero points for a personal tank?!

Oh, and just how ridiculous godlike? Hundreds? Thousands? Hundred Thousands? :D

Just POW could be interesting. Almost on par with physic abilities or mutations. Someone who could fly or run fast but nothing else.

Is it just GM pick a number of points, or are there some guidelines? I'm just wonder how well CoC, SB, or RQ characters would look compared to new BRP characters.

There are specific point amounts (and skill cap limits) suggested.

Generally, fresh BRP characters at the normal level are at the starting CoC/SB/RQ level. The higher power levels are much more competent.

Oh, and just how ridiculous godlike? Hundreds? Thousands? Hundred Thousands? :D

Somewhere between the first two ranges.

Just POW could be interesting. Almost on par with physic abilities or mutations. Someone who could fly or run fast but nothing else.

It is very specifically to create the sort of campaign where you might have exactly one solid power, or two or three that you're not great at.

Its not one point for one point. I don't want to go into further detail due to the non-disclosure agreement. I'm sure Jason could though.

Rod

At the risk of being predictable...

Jason,

What is the relationship between hero points and the costs for superpowers?

Well, there goes my "man of mystery" rep. :)

Its not one point for one point. I don't want to go into further detail due to the non-disclosure agreement. I'm sure Jason could though.

Rod

The non-disclosure agreement can't possibly still be in effect when they have started to sell the proofreading copies.

SGL.

Ef plest master, this mighty fine grub!
b1.gif 116/420. High Priest.

Chaosium have the new character sheet available for download at their site.

Where did you find it? The only one I can find is the old version.

Yes, the one listed with the new BRP book is an old version. That is a bit misleading, and disappointing. Might the Chaosium guys be persuaded to put the new version up now?

Britain has been infiltrated by soviet agents to the highest levels. They control the BBC, the main political party leaderships, NHS & local council executives, much of the police, most newspapers and the utility companies. Of course the EU is theirs, through-and-through. And they are among us - a pervasive evil, like Stasi.